Snowblower recommendations?

dpberr

I'm in the market for a snowblower and seeking your comments and opinions about the models you've purchased. There are so many manufacturers, engine sizes and widths, it's all starting to blur together. I'd like to keep it $1,000 and below.

I deal with PA winters. I have an approx. 12x90 foot driveway.

Can't give you any make / model recommendations, but 2 stage is the way to go. Also, and it may seem elementary, but NEVER put your hand(s) into the discharge chute while the engine is running. When my dad was showing me how to operate our blower he took a broom handle and shoved into the discharge chute. Wood chips came the opposite direction. Seemed like once a year we were taking someone to the ER because of such a thing.

Honda. No doubt about it. I think its an HS80 and is almost 20 years old. Still starts on the first pull even in -30 below. I store it outside during the season with a metal tub laying over the engine.

All I have done to the machine is oil, sparkplug, gear fluid, scraper, and every couple of years I wire brush the augers and paint them.

The frigging thing is unbelievable and man does it throw the snow. You will not find a new Honda for that price, but if you keep yours eyes open a good used one will pop up.

Edited by Show Me The Baby

I'm looking at an Ariens. I think with Buffalo or PA winters, you need at least 8HP. Although know they do not list them by HP any more but rather engine CC size. Interesting. So anything from a 26-30" cut. Or Toro.

Never go with any of the names made by MTD. And they make a lot too. My 8hp 26" runs great, a rusting mess. 11 years old only

The Ariens I want is $1100. I think the Toro though was like $900-950, in your range

Edited by MarkyMannn

I'm looking at an Ariens. I think with Buffalo or PA winters, you need at least 8HP. Although know they do not list them by HP any more but rather engine CC size. Interesting. So anything from a 26-30" cut. Or Toro.

Never go with any of the names made by MTD. And they make a lot too. My 8hp 26" runs great, a rusting mess. 11 years old only

The Ariens I want is $1100. I think the Toro though was like $900-950, in your range

If I had to buy one today, I'd buy a Toro over an Ariens. I like them both but no matter the model or HP, the Ariens gets bad marks for the all metal chute (snow clogs, no matter how much WD40 you spray) and the tires.

I like Craftsman products but you're right about MTD blowers and I believe MTD makes all of the Craftsman ones.

If I had to buy one today, I'd buy a Toro over an Ariens. I like them both but no matter the model or HP, the Ariens gets bad marks for the all metal chute (snow clogs, no matter how much WD40 you spray) and the tires.

I like Craftsman products but you're right about MTD blowers and I believe MTD makes all of the Craftsman ones.

I am not sure what you are getting at with the all metal chute being the cause of the clogs, but I have never owned an Ariens either. My Honda has an all metal chute. Never clogs. Even with the wettest, heaviest snow. I don't lube the chute either. I lube the deflector and rotator joints, but not the chute.

Edited by Show Me The Baby

I am not sure what you are getting at with the all metal chute being the cause of the clogs, but I have never owned an Ariens either. My Honda has an all metal chute. Never clogs. Even with the wettest, heaviest snow. I don't lube the chute either. I lube the deflector and rotator joints, but not the chute.

The all metal chute on the new Ariens models (14s) get those comments about the heavy snows sticking to the chute. I went back and checked and it appears most of the comments come from heavy snow events - where you're blowing a lot of snow for a long distance and it gets through the auger but starts accumulating in the chute. That'd be the scenario I'd probably find myself in - I wouldn't want to be at the end of my driveway having to screw around with a chute full of ice pack.

I have no idea if this is still true, and I know my sample size of 1 is quite small...........But, my dad bought an Arians in the 70s. Then, for some reason, bought a Toro in the 80s (The guy who used to be my neighbor still laughs about looking out the window and my dad coming up and nipping me with his snowblower while I'm in front using mine - during the Blizzard of '85).

The Arians is still going strong - and I have no idea what happened to that Toro.

My Arians is 8 HP. I love it.

I agree about the MTD. I have a MTD 5HP. The engine would not run correct so took it too the repair shop. they told me the gears in the MTD are made of plastic. Mine have about 6 teeth broke off and everytime the engine came around too that place. It was just sliding by it until it could catch another tooth. In 2 years of using it I had to put a new engine on it. My kids gave it too me so I didnt have a choice.

I bought this one two years ago...no problems whatsoever. Dependable for everything from 1 inch of slush to over 18 inches of snow...and we've had some huge storms here in NE over the last few years. Driveway about 150' long plus a circle.at the top. Electric start is a very nice addition!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sno-Tek-24-in-2-Stage-Electric-Start-Gas-Snow-Blower-920402/202222489

Definitely get one that's two stage and with an electric starter. Then figure out what width you want and need to handle your job. After that it's a matter of engine size and price.

I have a TroyBuilt 2455 and it's quite serviceable, but a bit horsey wrt manuvering. The chute does tend to clog when the snow is slushy. Lowes carries the TroyBuilt line.

My former neighbor had a Honda with a track drive (tread propulsion) that was low to the ground and threw snow like a champ. He had a smaller footprint and bite into the snow, but that thing never clogged.

I have never been disappointed with my Honda. It throws snow farther than larger HP machines owned by my neighbors and never clogs. I service it myself and it has never broken down in the 20 years I have owned it. I would not recommend the track drive units, because they are difficult to move in neutral. Single stage are good for smaller areas, but it sounds like you have a larger area to cover so definitely go two stage.

Edited by Flutie Flakes

This is my third year in my house and have shoveled the previous two years After last year's winter, I told myself I didn't care what it cost, I was going to buy a snowblower. Got lucky that my fiance's relatives were moving out of their house and into a condo and were selling there 10 year old Ariens 8526 over the summer. We got it for $125. It's in great condition and started on my first pull this fall. Not excited for the snow to come, but really excited to try out the new machine.