Phantom call on Robey =Royally Screwed in England

Bocephuz

what was frustrating about that call was that it was an unbelievable block. Woods just absolutely blew Poz up. It was immaterial in the end, but still-- really irritating that the officials could make that call there, without seeing it.

Story of the season with the refs.

Am I the only one who's skin crawls when the network brings Mike Carey on?

Edited by dhg

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what was frustrating about that call was that it was an unbelievable block. Woods just absolutely blew Poz up. It was immaterial in the end, but still-- really irritating that the officials could make that call there, without seeing it.

Should have been 1st and goal at the 1 after the helmet-to-helmet hit on McCoy unnecessary roughness call.

Should have been 1st and goal at the 1 after the helmet-to-helmet hit on McCoy unnecessary roughness call.

Once a runner has the football, helmet-to-helmet hits are perfectly legal provided that the defender is not using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent. Looked fine to me.

I noticed that too, but wasn't sure about the rule.

Can a defender hit a runner helmet-to-helmet?

Straight from the NFL rule book:

"This (contact with helmet) does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9."

Only caught parts of the game on my phone with no sound - was there any discussion on whether the receiver landed out of bounds on the last Jags TD

Only caught parts of the game on my phone with no sound - was there any discussion on whether the receiver landed out of bounds on the last Jags TD

Not really...his elbow hit in bounds, and then he rolled onto his shoulder, which rolled out of bounds.

Not sure how the "continuous movement" provision of the catch "rule" applies, but common sense answer is that it was a catch.

Once a runner has the football, helmet-to-helmet hits are perfectly legal provided that the defender is not using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent. Looked fine to me.

Did the tackler hit Shady with the crown of his helmet? Shady's Fumble (1:03)

Crown-of-helmet change to help runner, defender

A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.

I think the Bills coaches need to raise holy hell with the NFL. Maybe get Pegula to do something behind the scenes. Other teams seem to get attention drawn so that penalties our thrown. On the TD, Hughes has Joeckel beat and was closing on the QB when Joeckel was holding him with both hand around the shoulders. Another blown call that was obvious.

Get refs to start calling holding and our D line looks all world again.

The owners are in on it. It's revenue share so it doesn't really matter if we win or lose to them. It's better for the owners if teams like the Cowboys or Patriots or Giants win since that would mean more revenue for everybody. If the Bills or Browns win a Super Bowl, everybody gets paid less since less TV viewers and lower advertising costs.

For the Bills to win is literally a conflict of interest for the NFL and it's owners. Reality is right in front of everybody if you're ready to see it. It took me years before I was ready.

I'm going to take the refs side on this. There are 22 players on the field for every play x 100+ plays a game x 17 weeks of games. Of course bad calls are going to be made(even with replay in place).

Would full-time officials help? Yes

Would another 2 or 3 officials per game help? Yes

Would simplifying the rules help(especially in regards to what is a catch)? Yes

Would modification to replay help? Yes

Will mistakes still be made? Absolutely. It's not an exact science.

Edited by LabattBlue

I'm going to take the refs side on this. There are 22 players on the field for every play x 100+ plays a game x 17 weeks of games. Of course bad calls are going to be made(even with replay in place).

Would modification to reply help? Yes

It was an egregious call on a play where it wasn't even close to DPI. There was absolutely no valid reason to throw a flag there. NONE!

It was an egregious call on a play where it wasn't even close to DPI. There was absolutely no valid reason to throw a flag there. NONE!

Maybe from his angle that is what he saw(was there a camera angle from where that ref was standing?)...and he didn't have the luxury of 10 different angles and super duper slo mo that those of us at home had prior to throwing the flag.

Edited by LabattBlue

Would modification to reply help? Yes

The problem is that these plays aren't reviewed. So they controlled the outcome of the game. Everyone can talk about them being judgement call and they can't question judgement calls but at the end of the day, they should've been able to get together and talk and ask if that was actually PI. Or at least the people upstairs watching call down on it. They can still make their "judgement" calls but all I am asking is not to be screwed on the blatant miscalls.

The problem is that these plays aren't reviewed. So they controlled the outcome of the game. Everyone can talk about them being judgement call and they can't question judgement calls but at the end of the day, they should've been able to get together and talk and ask if that was actually PI. Or at least the people upstairs watching call down on it. They can still make their "judgement" calls but all I am asking is not to be screwed on the blatant miscalls.

Who said the refs can't get together and discuss a call. That is an option on each and every play. Do they like to overrule a fellow official, probably not, but you do see it happen from time to time.

Edited by LabattBlue

The owners are in on it. It's revenue share so it doesn't really matter if we win or lose to them. It's better for the owners if teams like the Cowboys or Patriots or Giants win since that would mean more revenue for everybody. If the Bills or Browns win a Super Bowl, everybody gets paid less since less TV viewers and lower advertising costs.

For the Bills to win is literally a conflict of interest for the NFL and it's owners. Reality is right in front of everybody if you're ready to see it. It took me years before I was ready.

This is a fallacy. The broadcast fees paid to the league by the networks were already set in stone and took effect after the 2013 season concluded; $28b over nine years, regardless whether or not larger market teams succeed.

GO BILLS!!!

Who said the refs can't get together and discuss a call. That is an option on each and every play. Do they like to overrule a fellow official, probably not, but you do see it happen from time to time.

It's rare that they overrule each other. But I am saying it should have been reviewable. If no other officials were around the play, which in looking at the All-22 it seemed there weren't then upstairs should have called down and said, you messed up, pick up that flag. If they don't want upstairs officials constantly overruling downstairs officials then get better on field officials. But seriously, if they don't want that, then institute challenging penalties into your 2 challenges for the game. Obviously don't allow challenging to get a penalty flag thrown, but they need to allow for some corrective ability for these terrible calls. They can still make their judgement calls in these situations.

Edited by What a Tuel