If Cassel plays decently, is that it for Whaley?

Oh come on. His errors today were unforced and not a product of a depleted roster. He was horrible, and was the beneficiary of a dropped int and unrecovered fumble when he held it far too low on a sack. He is bad. He will make some plays; he's a good athlete with a big arm. But that doesn't make up for his massive flaws. Dn't blame this one on injuries.

Cassel sucks too.

Good post.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looked to me that on the Pick Six, Clay fell down at the line on his pattern. That's why Smith ignored him, went right toward the Bills WR and EJ didn't see/expect him. Clay then went down the middle of the field. But Smith likely would not have been in position to make the INT without the stumble. I will have to see it on the all-22. EJ still stared him down though.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

It looked to me that on the Pick Six, Clay fell down at the line on his pattern. That's why Smith ignored him, went right toward the Bills WR and EJ didn't see/expect him. Clay then went down the middle of the field. But Smith likely would not have been in position to make the INT without the stumble. I will have to see it on the all-22. EJ still stared him down though.

That was the biggest issue on that INT. Easy read for the LB Smith and a horrible job by EJ.

That was the biggest issue on that INT. Easy read for the LB Smith and a horrible job by EJ.

But without the slip he's not there. Still, he stared him down. Terrible play but not pick six or even INT without the slip.

It's possible that Smith still would have ignored Clay even if he didn't fall because EJ telegraphed it so bad. I'm not exonerating him for staring down the WR. It was awful. Smith just ignored Clay right away and went right for the ball because he was reading EJ. If Clay got off clean i still think Smith covers him, that was clearly his man, and doesn't make the quick break he makes on the ball.

Cassel sucks too? Yet you've been crusading in another thread for Whaley to be fired for his part in trading Cassel to Dallas? Makes sense.

You seriously don't read what i write. And i mean seriously. I was against the acquisition of cassel way back when (look it up), and i worried about having no backup to manuel given the overall tenuous qb situation (again, look it up). I never said he was good. The issue all along has been the coaches' views with regard to the situation. It's not complicated.

Manuel is horrible. Cassel isn't good. But they're both better than josh johnson.

Edited by dave mcbride

But without the slip he's not there. Still, he stared him down. Terrible play but not pick six or even INT without the slip.

EJ has physical tools but he doesn't have a feel for the game. He is just too mechanical. There is little deception or much nuance to how he plays qb. I think it was the fomer Bill LB Paul P who stated that when playing against him just follow his eyes and you know where the ball is going.

EJ can make passes downfield that leave you in awe with his strong arm. However in general his erratic level of accuracy is a disqualifier. Even on the passes he completes his ball placement is horrendous, leaving the receiver in a vulnerable posture.

EJ reminds me of Jason Cambell who also had good physical tools. He can carve out a lucrative long career as a backup but as a starter he will never be a finished product and a starter. He's a good guy with limitations that he can't overcome.

I wasn't. He was horrible. He threw ten horrible passes and directly responsible for 14 Jags points. He also put up 31 points on the board (yes there was a defensive TD but we also had first and goal at the one w/o a fumble and all good teams benefit from defensive turnovers of which we have had none for a few games until one today)

But I wasn't talking about EJ, I was talking about your ridiculous statement about Whaley. No team wins with what happened to the Bills. None. It's almost unarguable.

Yes or no question: if the Bills don't make the playoffs (not looking likely at this point), will Whaley survive?

Yes or no question: if the Bills don't make the playoffs (not looking likely at this point), will Whaley survive?

Without question. I think Whaley and Rex get along great. They are not going to agree on everything. I get along great with you and think you are a smart fan and yet we violently disagree on a lot of stuff.

Without question. I think Whaley and Rex get along great. They are not going to agree on everything. I get along great with you and think you are a smart fan and yet we violently disagree on a lot of stuff.

Touche. I personally think that there is very little chance he survives, but we'll see come January.

They didn't have Antonio Brown, Decastro and Gilbert?

They've lost their center, QB, second WR, running back, and left tackle. They're 4-3 and looking much better than we are.

More to the point, Whaley has taken two roster risks with Fred Jackson and Matt Cassel and while it's debatable whether we'd be in better shape with those two, I do believe that the coaches and players were disappointed by and against both moves, and on their face they are looking like mistakes right now. Coupled with EJ's faceplant and Watkins' inability to contribute I have to believe Whaley is under a significant amount of pressure internally. You can chalk it up to bad luck if you like - but from my vantage point the Bills have paid a heavy price to let Whaley learn on the job. And now that the playoffs are unlikely I have to believe Terry is starting to consider alternative front office structures, including some sort of Football Czar or an outright firing/non-renewal.

Well, since the premise of this thread has been defeated....why doesn't the OP close it?

I mean what the F is the point of continuing?

Because threads can go off in interesting directions. I'm not saying this one is - and i don't care if it's locked - but shutting something down because the posed "what if" question isn't fulfilled in reality doesn't account for other things that could occur in a thread. It'll die eventually in any case.