Colts Fake Punt Tecmo Bowl Style

The Poojer

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Colts had scored a TD on that play, the result would have been the same. Illegal formation. Penalty declined. Turned over on downs.

If the Colts scored a TD and the Cheaters declined the penalty, which they would never do, why would they get the ball on downs? That makes even less sense.

If the Colts scored a TD and the Cheaters declined the penalty, which they would never do, why would they get the ball on downs? That makes even less sense.

Doc, the pats declined the penalty on 4th down, how do you suppose the Colts get to replay the down? It has nothing to do with being stuffed. they had to snap the ball

Edited by Mr. WEO

if the colts did NOT snap the ball, they would have not run a play, they may have gotten a penalty for delay of game, but if they didn't snap it, there would have been no illegal formation play. with no play being run, NE would have HAD to take the delay of game penalty moving INDY back 5 yards and replaying 4th down. Because the ball was snapped the illegal formation penalty could have and was declined, turning the ball over on downs.

I THINK the whole point of the argument was the center was NOT supposed to snap the ball, had the center done what he was supposed to do, INDY would have been 5 yards back replaying the down.

Doc, the pats declined the penalty on 4th down, how do you suppose the Colts get to replay the down? It has nothing to do with being stuffed. they had to snap the ball

if the colts did NOT snap the ball, they would have not run a play, they may have gotten a penalty for delay of game, but if they didn't snap it, there would have been no illegal formation play. with no play being run, NE would have HAD to take the delay of game penalty moving INDY back 5 yards and replaying 4th down. Because the ball was snapped the illegal formation penalty could have and was declined, turning the ball over on downs.

I THINK the whole point of the argument was the center was NOT supposed to snap the ball, had the center done what he was supposed to do, INDY would have been 5 yards back replaying the down.

Thank you. I have no idea why WEO thinks that the illegal formation penalty means the Cheaters would have gotten the ball regardless. As I said and you corroborated, no snap, no illegal formation penalty, while any penalty assessed and accepted (like delay of game) would have led to a replay of 4th down with a loss of yardage, except for grounding. Which means that snapping the ball and getting stuffed were the issues with the play. Had he run for a first down or TD, the Cheaters would definitely have accepted the illegal formation penalty and made the Colts replay the down, 5 yards back.

But you can decline a delay of game penalty, and the Cheaters may have wanted to do that so the punter would kick the ball into the endzone and not pin them inside the 20. Which makes me wonder why teams don't just false start, which can't be declined.

I love controversies - when other teams have them.

Nice cartoon Poojer!

Reminds me of the Nintendo version of the Mets/Sox World Series Bill Buckner Blunder. :beer:

I couldn't resit looking it up:

Edited by Nanker

Thank you. I have no idea why WEO thinks that the illegal formation penalty means the Cheaters would have gotten the ball regardless. As I said and you corroborated, no snap, no illegal formation penalty, while any penalty assessed and accepted (like delay of game) would have led to a replay of 4th down with a loss of yardage, except for grounding. Which means that snapping the ball and getting stuffed were the issues with the play. Had he run for a first down or TD, the Cheaters would definitely have accepted the illegal formation penalty and made the Colts replay the down, 5 yards back.

But you can decline a delay of game penalty, and the Cheaters may have wanted to do that so the punter would kick the ball into the endzone and not pin them inside the 20. Which makes me wonder why teams don't just false start, which can't be declined.

You're right. Too many cases last night..

I believe false starts can be declined as well. In fact, I don't think there are any penalties that explicitly cannot be declined. We just don't see false starts ever declined because there just aren't any situations where that makes any sense. Except perhaps this one, where the defense doesn't want the offense to move back 5 yards.

You're right. Too many cases last night..

:thumbsup:

I believe false starts can be declined as well. In fact, I don't think there are any penalties that explicitly cannot be declined. We just don't see false starts ever declined because there just aren't any situations where that makes any sense. Except perhaps this one, where the defense doesn't want the offense to move back 5 yards.

I looked it up agan and you're right, you can decline FS penalties.

Belichik will troll everyone by calling the Swinging Gate play next week, and executing it to perfection

And they won't even get an illegal formation call.

I'll give the Colts credit for one thing, though: they succeeded in doing something no other team has done in 15 years. They confused the **** out of Bill Belichick.