Does a Coach Matter that much in NFL?

Just looked and last year's Rex's team is now 4-1, matching the number of wins they had last year under Rex when they went 4-12. Our team, which was 9-7 last year has only 3 wins and looks lost. I say coaching does matter a lot and wished we signed the guy the Jets signed. Quiet, demanding guy who demands discipline.

Edited by BuffaloBillsMagic1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looked and last year's Rex's team is now 4-1, matching the number of wins they had last year under Rex when they went 4-12. Our team, which was 9-7 last year has only 3 wins and looks lost. I say coaching does matter a lot and wished we signed the guy the Jets signed. Quiet, demanding guy who demands discipline.

Weird...I look around the NFL over the years...and teams missing their starting QB, starting OT, top 2 WRs, and most their RBs typically don't win much.

But somehow Rex is bad because a team starting backups at most skill positions can't get it done against a 5-0 team? Its not fair to judge Rex on a team missing its best players most the season. Let this team finally all get healthy and then judge what he can do with it.

This is a very talented team, with a .500 record. That's on Rex. The D is under-achieving, ST's stink, we lead the league in penalties (by a comfortable margin), offensive play makers are not making a lot of plays. Roman is an upgrade, the rest is garbage. And it's all on Rex.

Weird...I look around the NFL over the years...and teams missing their starting QB, starting OT, top 2 WRs, and most their RBs typically don't win much.

But somehow Rex is bad because a team starting backups at most skill positions can't get it done against a 5-0 team? Its not fair to judge Rex on a team missing its best players most the season. Let this team finally all get healthy and then judge what he can do with it.

Before this game, I heard a few talking heads mention that the Bengals play like they are on a mission. I laughed it off. Today I sawit from them. Alas, I didn't see it from our Bills. Instilling a sense of mission comes from the coach. Plenty of talent here.

silly thread title. i guess you could ask that is some sort of rhetorical or hypothetical or sarcastic sense.

yes, coaching matters, and it is a huge reason why the Bills are playing so badly. How can the defense be among the leaders in sacks one year, to having almost no sacks the next? How can the offense not exploit seam routes, rubs and quick throws? How can the defense have no answer to these tactics?

I think there has been a paradigm shift that favors the quick passing game, possibly due to rule changes to protect against late hits, hi-low blocks, etc., along with the way penalties are being enforced, and this coaching staff hasn't caught on.

My coworker, a lifelong Jets fan, told me over the winter that I'd be wishing for a new coach by Halloween. He went on a rant about Rex Ryan being all talk and no show. Bad defenses, bad penalties, and inexcusable/uninspiring play. Turns out he might be right, and as I said in another thread... As much as it pains me, since the last guy was a jerk, but possibly...

Doug Marrone > Rex Ryan

My coworker, a lifelong Jets fan, told me over the winter that I'd be wishing for a new coach by Halloween. He went on a rant about Rex Ryan being all talk and no show. Bad defenses, bad penalties, and inexcusable/uninspiring play. Turns out he might be right, and as I said in another thread... As much as it pains me, since the last guy was a jerk, but possibly...

Doug Marrone > Rex Ryan

It's not Halloween yet - we're early.

Compare how the Jets played under mouthy Rex to how the Jets are performing under silent Todd Bowles. Whether we are missing our best players or not isn't the test of good coaching, it is how your players, including your subs, play. There is a lack of discipline and intelligence in their play. Brooks makes a routine tackle on a punt and then gets in the face of the person he tackled talking trash in front of the referee. This came after the HC for the past couple of weeks hasemphasized the necessity to keep one's composure and play with discipline. Maybe the HC needs to get better bracelets to remind his dopey players to maintain their discipline on routine plays?

There were question marks regarding the offense entering the season. Everyone was aware of the problem area. However, this team is built around its defense. The preponderance of the cap is directed toward the defense. Considering its talent level it is underperforming. What happened to the once dominant pass rush? It has vanished! The HC's specialty is on the defensive side of the game. By any measurement Schwatrz got the defense to play at a much higher level with mostly the same players than this self-promoting braggert HC has.