RIP Paul Costa

vorpma

Paul Costa, Tight End during the 1960's glory years passed away recently. I often post about the "old days of the "AFL" and growing a Bills fan; I had family members that were plank holders regarding season tickets from 1960 well into the 1990's. As stated in previous posts, the players during the 1960's were blue collar guys that played football professionally during the fall. The Bills of the 1960's were a close knit group hanging out in Taverns and bars across western New York. Paul Costa had huge arms and arm strength and would arm wrestle bar patrons for a beer, all in good fun, really great guy.

Paul Costa lost his young son to illness in the early 1970's soon leaving the Bills, although he had a short stint in the WFL.

Us "old farts" lose another of our guys from the 1960's; my prayers and thoughts to the family.

Paul Costa, Tight End during the 1960's glory years passed away recently. I often post about the "old days of the "AFL" and growing a Bills fan; I had family members that were plank holders regarding season tickets from 1960 well into the 1990's.

Plank holder? Were there just plank benches for seating at the Rockpile?

Yes, those guys had day jobs back in the 1960s. Sestak and Maguire owned a restaurant/pizzeria at my corner in Kenmore.

Butch Byrd (star cornerback) was an auto mechanic at the Chrysler dealer (Delaware at Hertel) where my neighbor worked.

RIP Paul Costa, and condolences to his family.

Paul Costa, Tight End during the 1960's glory years passed away recently. I often post about the "old days of the "AFL" and growing a Bills fan; I had family members that were plank holders regarding season tickets from 1960 well into the 1990's. As stated in previous posts, the players during the 1960's were blue collar guys that played football professionally during the fall. The Bills of the 1960's were a close knit group hanging out in Taverns and bars across western New York. Paul Costa had huge arms and arm strength and would arm wrestle bar patrons for a beer, all in good fun, really great guy.

Paul Costa lost his young son to illness in the early 1970's soon leaving the Bills, although he had a short stint in the WFL.

Us "old farts" lose another of our guys from the 1960's; my prayers and thoughts to the family.

:thumbsup:

Whenever I think of Costa I remember this photo from his rookie season.

CostaCatch700w.jpg

Known in the day as "The Catch!"

Plank holder? Were there just plank benches for seating at the Rockpile?

Yes, those guys had day jobs back in the 1960s. Sestak and Maguire owned a restaurant/pizzeria at my corner in Kenmore.

Butch Byrd (star cornerback) was an auto mechanic at the Chrysler dealer (Delaware at Hertel) where my neighbor worked.

RIP Paul Costa, and condolences to his family.

As Plank holder I meant they were one of the first to purchase season tickets; on the side of the end zone across from the Dodge Street tunnel. There was always a twenty piece band that played during timeouts right below.

Known in the day as "The Catch!"

As Plank holder I meant they were one of the first to purchase season tickets; on the side of the end zone across from the Dodge Street tunnel. There was always a twenty piece band that played during timeouts right below.

RIP Paul.

I loved that band. I was just a kid, but that live band was cool. They used to play during timeouts and before and after the game. So much better than the crap they blare over the loudspeakers today.

They used play Christmas songs in December.

Those were the days. Speaking of them working during the offseason, Ron McDole and Al Bemiller used to build spec houses and Al had a restaurant and bar on Clark Street. Boy, what a different Era that was back then.

Edited by BuffaloBob

RIP Paul.

I loved that band. I was just a kid, but that live band was cool. They used to play during timeouts and before and after the game. So much better than the crap they blare over the loudspeakers today.

They used play Christmas songs in December.

Those were the days. Speaking of them working during the offseason, Ron McDole and Al Bemiller used to build spec houses and Al had a restaurant and bar on Clark Street. Boy, what a different Era that was back then.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: