Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only in Buffalo can a team's most talented player demanding that he be more involved so he can help the team win be seen as a negative...

As for the "then get open!" crowd. Watch the All-22's. He's open. A LOT.

He should demand it from his coaching staff. Not with a microphone in front of his face.

He should demand it from his coaching staff. Not with a microphone in front of his face.

one might guess that hes been doing that as well. one might even take a shot that someone like rex is quite alright with this.

sometimes ruffling a feather or two can help an organization, not just cause implosions. if theres a guy to do that ruffling, hes a good one, and he wasnt far out of bounds. if we see conflict from this, then have the discussion - but until then, who are we to judge what the dynamic inside that locker room is?

Get him the ball.

I dont really care about these quotes, it's just noise. Every team with stars has guys yapping.

I dont like Roman. I think he is the kind of guy that wants to win the game with his scheme (the extreme being Chip Kelly) When you have a player that can take over a game, you gotta get him the ball.

one might guess that hes been doing that as well. one might even take a shot that someone like rex is quite alright with this.

sometimes ruffling a feather or two can help an organization, not just cause implosions. if theres a guy to do that ruffling, hes a good one, and he wasnt far out of bounds. if we see conflict from this, then have the discussion - but until then, who are we to judge what the dynamic inside that locker room is?

I understand where you're coming from.

It's just my personal belief that bringing issues like this to the media is literally never a good idea.

I understand where you're coming from.

It's just my personal belief that bringing issues like this to the media is literally never a good idea.

Brandon Marshall did the exact same thing three years ago in Chicago when he first got there. Actually went on television and said (paraphrased) "you traded a lot to get me, just give me the ball". You know what they did? They gave him the ball. And they started winning.

And everyone who has played with him will tell you that Brandon Marshall is an excellent teammate. There's whining and making the team look bad and then there is providing thoughtful, rational reasons why you need to be engaged in the offense more. Sammy did the later. This isn't Terrell Owens doing situps in a driveway. This is a guy who said what was on his mind, rather diplomatically, and is getting raked for it.

Brandon Marshall did the exact same thing three years ago in Chicago when he first got there. Actually went on television and said (paraphrased) "you traded a lot to get me, just give me the ball". You know what they did? They gave him the ball. And they started winning.

And everyone who has played with him will tell you that Brandon Marshall is an excellent teammate. There's whining and making the team look bad and then there is providing thoughtful, rational reasons why you need to be engaged in the offense more. Sammy did the later. This isn't Terrell Owens doing situps in a driveway. This is a guy who said what was on his mind, rather diplomatically, and is getting raked for it.

Brandon Marshall also had a QB who was capable of finding and hitting an open receiver.

But that's for another thread.

Brandon Marshall also had a QB who was capable of finding and hitting an open receiver.

Brandon Marshall stated that the best QB he ever played with was KYLE ORTON. So what's Sammy's excuse?

hahaha, awesome

@AlbertBreer

Watkins' rep coming out of Clemson was of a player that was mature and mentally prepared for the NFL. So his comments are ... surprising.

@JeremyWGR

Jeremy White Retweeted Albert Breer

His comments may be many things, but I don’t know where they’d lack maturity or mental preparedness.

@JeremyWGR

Pretty cut-and-dry…SW thinks he’s every bit as good as the best and the guys that get all the pub. He wants in on that. That’s called drive.

If the QB cant get it to him downfield, then give him a screen pass. If the QB cant even do that, then hand it to him. They have handed it to Percy Harvin, and they have handed it to Marcus Easley.

Get him the ball.

Edited by HoF Watkins

We have to get this man the ball. Let him beat the DB one on one..

I don't think his comments are petty. He wants to make plays, its killing him inside not having opportunities to make plays

Edited by ddaryl

Definitely significant, but the point I was trying to get across is that targets are a function of getting open, or at least the QB seeing you as open. Ben Watson had 12 targets in last night's game, mostly because he was open all night and ATL didn't have answer to an otherwise mediocre TE.

Obj had 21 catches at or behind the LOS. Those aren't getting open. Those are bubble screens. Sammy had 4.

Someone tweeted or emailed Howard Simon or Jeremy White with the new name of Sam-ME Whaa-tkins. :lol:

Someone on NFL network last week was abusing Michael Irvin and said "There are three i's in Michael Irvin." Ha.

Um, his one big game in the NFL? So his major, difference-making performances against Miami, Detroit, and Minnesota, plus his 7-catch effort against Denver's excellent pass defense don't count as big games?

Also, he didn't celebrate too early on his long TD against the Jets...he slowed down because there was nobody within 25 yards of him.

I quite often wonder what people are watching....

The guy that caught him from behind was within 25 yards.