Thoughts on the idea of McKelvin to Safety?

YoloinOhio

I've heard him speak. I'm guessing No. Don't take this the wrong way.

Possibly Leo to nickel and Robey to S?

As long as he does not have to call out the play he will be fine. he is hard to understand.

He has been calling checks with hand signals for quite awhile.

with Rex, he might have them playing different roles every snap. Just line up with the size and speed matchup.

also since Leodis being a returner for so long, possibly has a good view of the whole field of play and has great peripheral vision. Dont count out our McKelvin.

He learned how to turn for the ball didn't He !?

: )

This is an interesting thought. Robey is a very sure tackler, especially considering his size.

Duke is a big hitter. But, that's all he is.

agreed. so far. thats for sure

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AW out 7 games at least. Leo set to return soon. Would likely be a backup CB. Those who really understand the nuances between moving from Corner to Safety, do you see this as a possibility?

He seems like a guy that's glue in man coverage but I wouldn't put him in back to make reads and react.

What about Ron Brooks to safety?

Believe it or not I'm actually fine with a Corey/Rambo combo. As long as remembers to only hit guys on the other team, he is more serviceable than McKelvin at safety at least for the time being. Are there any packages in nickle or dime coverage where we can just put McKelvin on Eiffert instead of the Safety? That seems like the best opportunity to keep out best players on the field while not forcing McKelvin to play a position he hasnt practiced at. The downside of course would be the physical mismatch of putting a corner on a TE.

Leo on Gronk.

yes. i am serious

Agree. His awareness level concerns me. Seems like he has huge lapses in concentration.

GO BILLS!!!

Or he isnt in the books enough and lost. But it aint good right now.

and its concern with Aaron out :sick:

I know that switch is way more seamless than the inverse. Corners already possess the skills necessary to play safety. Its just a bulk thing. Byrd was a poorer safety at Oregon. But when he played safety with everything in front of him he was much better. Aaron williams another example. Cory Graham was moved. But he was versatile and it beat starting Duke Williams

A year ago I would have wanted to move Gilmore to safety

i can see why you might've thought that !!

He seems like a guy that's glue in man coverage but I wouldn't put him in back to make reads and react.

Why?

I dont think thats a fair speculation. Not all safeties need to be as as intelligent as Graham, if thats what you are implying N S.

A Williams for example. He is a cowboy. see what i mean. I think Leo has a horse farm too actually.

I'd like to see him on the field if possible but it took him about 6 years just to learn how to play CB.

He didn't wonderlic test quite as poorly as CJ Spiller.....13 to 10.....but not known for being smart.....or as it's often referred to "instinctive".

I was gonna say something similar haha.

Leodis seems to work best when you tell him "stay in this guy's pocket", and that's about it.

I've always imagined the safeties to be the more cerebral db contingent. Not a great fit with what I think I know about leodis. But hey no stone unturned. Closing speed like that up top would be nice.

Hell yes. I've posted this several times over the last few weeks. He was the emergency safety last year.

Darby is paying well enough to continue to start. Roby is serviceable as a third DB.

And despite what Duke Williams says - he is awful. He is barely holding onto the fourth safety spot. Mckelvin and a healthy Rambo would be much better options.

Just let Graham call the defenses.

Don't take this the wrong way -- is Leodis smart enough to play FS in Rex's system?

I've heard him speak. I'm guessing No. Don't take this the wrong way.

Possibly Leo to nickel and Robey to S?

This makes way more sense.

McKelvin struggles at finding the ball in the air. He never looks up at the Ball. This is not a good trait for a safety.

McKelvin isn't a fierce tackler. He isn't that big or strong. He is closer to looking like Chris Rock than a LB. I don't think he would be effective to clean up completions and tackler the receiver.

So basically I doubt this happens because it doesn't seem like a good fit at all.

Robey is a better fit at safety if needed and McKelvin can get in the field at Nickle back.

Leo isnt going to replace our first 3 corners, they're all playing well right now.

Rex will probably just phase him in on dime situations and ramp him up for depth if and when gilmore, darby or robey gets hurt.

Id rather see rambo at ss and corey playing fs before inserting Leo in a new role.

Leo and Darby both got drafted with the same positives and same negatives. They can stay step by step with the guy they're covering but just can't seem to locate the ball. Now I'll be very honest. I thought we were doomed without Leo after watching Darby get burned in preseason but man that kid has impressed me and I feel comfortable seeing him as our starter.

That doesn't mean that I don't want Leo back at corner though. It will take at least 3 or 4 weeks of actual football speed for Leo to feel comfortable imo. I was actually wondering myself, (after hearing about Aaron missing time) when Leo comes back, what if we moved Darby to safety? But reading about the option of moving Leo to safety kind of makes more sense to me. Leo is hard hitter, can keep up with his man and can locate the ball better playing safety rather than corner since his back won't be turned to the football. It actually may be just what the Bills need.

Can you just imagine if Darby keeps getting better and better each week? Our secondary could be Darby, Gilmore, A. Williams, McKelvin (all on the field at the same time). The reason I don't mention Corey Graham is only because he's up there in age and don't know how much more he got in him but the way Corey is playing, he looks like he got another good 5 years left.

This is one of those "good problems" we have in our hands. We have too many talented players in the secondary and I honestly can't remember us having a problem like that before. Hopefully Rex can find a way to squeeze McKelvin on the field at the same time with Darby and Gilmore.

McKelvin struggles at finding the ball in the air. He never looks up at the Ball. This is not a good trait for a safety.

McKelvin isn't a fierce tackler. He isn't that big or strong. He is closer to looking like Chris Rock than a LB. I don't think he would be effective to clean up completions and tackler the receiver.

So basically I doubt this happens because it doesn't seem like a good fit at all.

Robey is a better fit at safety if needed and McKelvin can get in the field at Nickle back.

If you say McKelvin isn't big enough at 5'10" 185, how is Robey big enough at 5'8" 165?

Williams had to make the transition to S because he never amounted to even a serviceable CB. McKelvin finally turned the corner, why would he want to play S when CBs are one of the highest paid positions on D? From a career standpoint it makes little sense. From a Bills need stand point I get it but it doesn't mean McKelvin would want to do it or would be able to do it without a training camp. As Bado mentioned, it took awhile for him to figure out CB, I'm not sure he could make a seamless transition to S.

Robey is a better fit at safety if needed and McKelvin can get in the field at Nickle back. If you say McKelvin isn't big enough at 5'10" 185, how is Robey big enough at 5'8" 165?

185 seems very generous. Especially from his current non participant pictures. I doubt he is anywhere near 185 today.

185 seems very generous. Especially from his current non participant pictures. I doubt he is anywhere near 185 today.

hm. Interesting. I Haven't really seen any recent pics of him. I would think he would gain weight with out being able to really run. Met him and took some pics at camp last year. I'm gonna have to find my pic and compare the two.

McKelvin can cover a lot of ground quickly, and it's not uncommon for older corners to move to a safety position. My only concern is that I don't really see him as a great tackler. He could possibly do some damage with interceptions by using his speed to break on the ball. Interesting idea, though.

McKelvin can cover a lot of ground quickly, and it's not uncommon for older corners to move to a safety position. My only concern is that I don't really see him as a great tackler. He could possibly do some damage with interceptions by using his speed to break on the ball. Interesting idea, though.

yea, a lot of smart corners that lose a step make the transition. you tend not to see guys with bad reps on the mental side and elite physical skills make that transition. because those guys are better suited at a M2M corner. and thats a more valuable position anyway.

If you say McKelvin isn't big enough at 5'10" 185, how is Robey big enough at 5'8" 165?

Both guys are on the small side for safety. You ideally like some bigger dudes there as they have to tackle the lynch's and gronk-types 10 times a game.

But it is an interesting idea to scour the waivers for an older corner that does convert well to safety. A la Woodson.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood