Why the Coaching staff is doing a great job

Alphadawg7

I see a lot of over exaggerated negativity about the coaches lately before, during, and after games. However, this staff is doing a lot better than they are getting credit for, especially during the games and they deserve more credit and respect than they have been getting thus far.

First off, too much is being made about what Rex says. The media, the fans, etc are all looking for any words out of his mouth to use against him. He is almost in a no win situation every time they put a mic in front of him because the entire point of it is to get him to say something they can run with in the media and twist it. The NE game is a perfect example...all over the media and on this board people GROSSLY over exaggerated things he said leading up to the game. In reality, it was probably the least he has ever said before any NE game as a HC in his entire career. Then every post game when he hasn't had time to watch the film or remove himself from the emotion of the game, people stick a mic in his face while he is still amped up and then twist and dissect every single word coming out of his mouth to mean things they most often don't.

Second, they deserve a LOT of credit for 2nd half adjustments. In every game that saw the offense and defense struggle in the 1st half, they have made adjustments at half time that completely turned things around and either won us the game or brought us back into the game with a chance to win. I can't tell you the last time we had a staff that made good adjustments at half time to get the team back into games.

Third, the penalties are a problem, and yes the staff needs to figure out how to get the emotions of the players in check on the field. However, at the same time, this team desperately needed to find some anger, emotion, and passion on the field which have been lacking on this team for as long as I can remember. Like Ray Lewis said, "You've got to get pissed off for greatness" and this team looks to finally be doing it. And as the season moves forward I think they will figure out how to balance that with also being smart on the field. Plus, this team has a ton of heart and resiliency. They don't roll over for anyone, even when things have gone bad. When was the last time anyone could ever say that about this team?

Fourth, this team has been hit hard by injury. We have a lot of our best talent missing and have either been missing them or them playing hurt the whole season. I am sure this will cue the cliche response around here about how every team has injuries...and yes, they do. But when teams lose their best players at skill positions, it becomes hard for those teams to win, and most don't. We have found ways to win, and almost won the 2 games we lost, including being the only team to really give NE a scare this year.

Fifth, I am not sure if its both Rex and Roman, or all Roman...but this staff has done a terrific job with all our QB's thus far. Taylor has been terrific, especially considering he keeps playing with a bad ankle all year and has either been without his best playmakers or they have played hurt. EJ looked like the prospect he was supposed to be coming out of college this preseason too. We were supposed to have the worst QB situation in football, yet we have a QB who is having a terrific year and seen another team trade for one of our guys and still have a QB on the bench who showed a lot of upside in the preseason.

The staff hasn't been perfect, but there has never been a staff in the history of any sport that doesn't make mistakes. Right now, where I sit, this is the best staff I have seen here in years and I am thrilled to have them right now. I firmly believe we will make the playoffs this year and will be a really tough team to beat once we do, assuming we are healthy.

GO BILLS!

well said, too many fans want to go from 0-100 in no time, this team is newly formed and hitting alot of bumps along the way and for the most part have not given up or complained, they seem to keep fighting.

I see a lot of over exaggerated negativity about the coaches lately before, during, and after games. However, this staff is doing a lot better than they are getting credit for, especially during the games and they deserve more credit and respect than they have been getting thus far.

First off, too much is being made about what Rex says. The media, the fans, etc are all looking for any words out of his mouth to use against him. He is almost in a no win situation every time they put a mic in front of him because the entire point of it is to get him to say something they can run with in the media and twist it. The NE game is a perfect example...all over the media and on this board people GROSSLY over exaggerated things he said leading up to the game. In reality, it was probably the least he has ever said before any NE game as a HC in his entire career. Then every post game when he hasn't had time to watch the film or remove himself from the emotion of the game, people stick a mic in his face while he is still amped up and then twist and dissect every single word coming out of his mouth to mean things they most often don't.

Second, they deserve a LOT of credit for 2nd half adjustments. In every game that saw the offense and defense struggle in the 1st half, they have made adjustments at half time that completely turned things around and either won us the game or brought us back into the game with a chance to win. I can't tell you the last time we had a staff that made good adjustments at half time to get the team back into games.

Third, the penalties are a problem, and yes the staff needs to figure out how to get the emotions of the players in check on the field. However, at the same time, this team desperately needed to find some anger, emotion, and passion on the field which have been lacking on this team for as long as I can remember. Like Ray Lewis said, "You've got to get pissed off for greatness" and this team looks to finally be doing it. And as the season moves forward I think they will figure out how to balance that with also being smart on the field. Plus, this team has a ton of heart and resiliency. They don't roll over for anyone, even when things have gone bad. When was the last time anyone could ever say that about this team?

Fourth, this team has been hit hard by injury. We have a lot of our best talent missing and have either been missing them or them playing hurt the whole season. I am sure this will cue the cliche response around here about how every team has injuries...and yes, they do. But when teams lose their best players at skill positions, it becomes hard for those teams to win, and most don't. We have found ways to win, and almost won the 2 games we lost, including being the only team to really give NE a scare this year.

Fifth, I am not sure if its both Rex and Roman, or all Roman...but this staff has done a terrific job with all our QB's thus far. Taylor has been terrific, especially considering he keeps playing with a bad ankle all year and has either been without his best playmakers or they have played hurt. EJ looked like the prospect he was supposed to be coming out of college this preseason too. We were supposed to have the worst QB situation in football, yet we have a QB who is having a terrific year and seen another team trade for one of our guys and still have a QB on the bench who showed a lot of upside in the preseason.

The staff hasn't been perfect, but there has never been a staff in the history of any sport that doesn't make mistakes. Right now, where I sit, this is the best staff I have seen here in years and I am thrilled to have them right now. I firmly believe we will make the playoffs this year and will be a really tough team to beat once we do, assuming we are healthy.

GO BILLS!

I think they did a good job through 4 weeks. I thought they did a poor job last week - from the roster moves which were largely on them (by Rex's own admission on the return guy) to the fact the team just looked ill prepared to play in that first half - and I accept in saying that they were playing a team with extra time to prepare so it might have looked worse than it was.

They have to do a better job this week and I think they all (Rex and the 3 coordinators) accept that.

I agree. Also - all these guys on offense and defense haven't been in the scheme very long. Defense has a leg up because of Pettine, but remember that offense is all new to them.

The only guy I'm starting to wonder about is Whaley. He's brought in some great talent. He didn't really address the offensive line, and it shows, but I'm sot sure what else he could have done given the players available. The cutting Jackson has turned out to be a big mistake, especially since Boobie is injured as well, has been all year, and obviously isn't trusted by the coaching staff to be a primary back. They kept Boobie over Fred? Trading Cassel could be a mistake, too, but I'm not ready to call it that yet.

Edited by todd

I agree. Also - all these guys on offense and defense haven't been in the scheme very long. Defense has a leg up because of Pettine, but remember that offense is all new to them.

The only guy I'm starting to wonder about is Whaley. He's brought in some great talent. He didn't really address the offensive line, and it shows, but I'm sot sure what else he could have done given the players available. The cutting Jackson has turned out to be a big mistake, especially since Boobie is injured as well, has been all year, and obviously isn't trusted by the coaching staff to be a primary back. They kept Boobie over Fred? Trading Cassel could be a mistake, too, but I'm not ready to call it that yet.

Whaleys should've drafted La'el Collins in the supplemental draft. That and keeping Fred. Don't care about Cassel.

I have to disagree whole heartedly with everything you said about Whaley. He's done a tremendous job up to this point so far. Trading Cassel? EJ is better than Cassel...and most teams do not keep 3 QB's. So you can't fault a GM for trading a 3rd QB when you have two healthy ones. And he got good value on it. And Fred has been hurt too in Seattle...so how would keeping Fred somehow saved us from the most unlucky string of injuries to RB's in the NFL? No one could have anticipated we would have seen all our RB's get hurt...what was he supposed to do, keep 9 RB's? On top of that, Fred was hurt here most of preseason too and has been totally injury prone for years. So I don't see how keeping an injury prone RB who is 34 was somehow the key to having healthy RB's now, especially given he already been hurt once in Seattle.

And Boobie was kept because he has a different role than Fred. Karlos and McCoy are why Fred got cut, not Boobie. Boobie is a good ST player too, something Fred doesn't do. And he is a change of pace short yardage back. Fred was expendable because of Karlos Williams, not because of anyone else on this roster...and it has clearly proven to be the right move.

Whaley should be in the running for GM of the year right now, if not the out right favorite. His draft looks good so far too, again.

Edited by Alphadawg7

While they do some things well, the things they are doing well are the same things as last year.

The offense showed some pop early on, but has look more unprepared than anything else. The defense is the same as last year, at best. Our running game is mainly coming from our qb.

So no, I can't agree with this. If anything, they've shown an inability to control emotions (pats game and penalties)

While they do some things well, the things they are doing well are the same things as last year.

The offense showed some pop early on, but has look more unprepared than anything else. The defense is the same as last year, at best. Our running game is mainly coming from our qb.

So no, I can't agree with this. If anything, they've shown an inability to control emotions (pats game and penalties)

So you say the offense showed pop early on...you mean when all our Offensive weapons were on the field? Before all our RBs got hurt, our top WR, and have seen our QB play hurt and lose key OL for parts of games?

Why on Earth would our offense still look the same with many backups playing at skill positions? And the running game...our running game looked great until both McCoy and Karlos were out. So, again, how can you completely disregard the injuries and make it about the coaches?

Facts are that offenses don't look the same when they are missing their best players...period, I don't care who you are. Yet, despite all that and a QB who's been playing hurt all year, we are 3-2, still averaging a good amount of points per game, are the only team to challenge NE this year, and had us in a winnable position in both of our losses.

But somehow its the coaches fault for the backups not being as good as our top offensive players? Come on now...how does that make sense?

I think they did a good job through 4 weeks. I thought they did a poor job last week - from the roster moves which were largely on them (by Rex's own admission on the return guy) to the fact the team just looked ill prepared to play in that first half - and I accept in saying that they were playing a team with extra time to prepare so it might have looked worse than it was.

They have to do a better job this week and I think they all (Rex and the 3 coordinators) accept that.

The offense was matched against a defensive guru in LeBeau. Give credit to the Titans defense.

GO BILLS!

Thank you for posting, Mrs. Ryan.

Whaleys should've drafted La'el Collins in the supplemental draft. That and keeping Fred. Don't care about Cassel.

He didnt make it to the supplimental draft. Rex went down had dinner with the family and they offered a good bit more than the normal UDFA salary and still couldnt hook him. Cant knock em for trying

So you say the offense showed pop early on...you mean when all our Offensive weapons were on the field? Before all our RBs got hurt, our top WR, and have seen our QB play hurt and lose key OL for parts of games?

Why on Earth would our offense still look the same with many backups playing at skill positions? And the running game...our running game looked great until both McCoy and Karlos were out. So, again, how can you completely disregard the injuries and make it about the coaches?

Facts are that offenses don't look the same when they are missing their best players...period, I don't care who you are. Yet, despite all that and a QB who's been playing hurt all year, we are 3-2, still averaging a good amount of points per game, are the only team to challenge NE this year, and had us in a winnable position in both of our losses.

But somehow its the coaches fault for the backups not being as good as our top offensive players? Come on now...how does that make sense?

With all due respect. We lost 2 games so we had 2 games that challenged. And the titans gave us all we could handle too.

The offense was matched against a defensive guru in LeBeau. Give credit to the Titans defense.

They slept walked through the last couple maybe 3 first halves this year. Giants Titans and New England.