Now that the smokes cleared, my take on yesterday's clunker.

Very clear that Coughlin's/Spagnola's game plan was to take Karlos Williams out of the game and make Tyrod try to beat them through the air. Sometimes less is more as far as game planning and Rex should take a page out of Coughlin's/Belichick's playbooks in the future. Really appears (especially defensively) like he's over scheming at times.

The absences of Watkins and Shady McCoy hurt more than we all thought they would (myself included). It's clear that when both are healthy, the other position players are nothing more than complimentary. I do think Karlos will be the feature back in Buffalo in the future, but when healthy, LeSean McCoy can make chicken salad out of chicken $h!t as far as sub-par offensive line play goes, while Williams relys pretty much on being a smash-mouth, north-south runner. If Shady's ever healthy again here, he and Karlos would probably be in the top tier of RB duos in this league, taking some pressure off Tryod.

The goal line play calling in two consecutive red-zone possessions, coming away with zero points, was about as busch-league as it gets from Greg Roman. I still firmly believe Roman is a great offensive coordinator, but yesterday, I'm not quite sure what he was thinking down there. It's said that as the field gets shorter, the harder it is to get in the end zone, but come on, its not like the Giants were fielding the '85 Bears out there...

Eli Manning may never put up the stats that Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or even his older brother will. But there's a reason he's a two time SuperBowl champion. He's one of the most cerebral players, not just quarterbacks, players in the NFL.

As short of a time as they've been together, the Giants offensive line is just plain good. When you can keep our front four at bay all afternoon as they did, you deserve a hat tipped in your direction.

We got the Supe Bowl XXV vignette treatment from the FOX production crew as well as a condescending comment or two afterward from Moose and Kenny Albert that followed. As I'm sure, this week, the CBS crew will dig up the ol Music City Miracle footage from our last playoff appearance. I've said it before and I'll say it again, both of these memories don't hurt this fan as much as it does making the networks look tasteless and unoriginal. Freshen up the material, networks.

Lastly, the penalties, and Rex Ryan's postgame comments. I cannot remember the last time I saw one NFL team commit that many in one game. It's been done, but I've watched games where both teams involved don't commit that many infractions COMBINED. Yes, there were several calls that were borderline, in fact, the majority were petty (this is just my opinion). I have no opinion either way as far as whether or not the league officials "have it out for us", as Kyle Williams is implying, but after a day like that, where so many calls were going against us and the Giants were doing the same types of things (push offs, hand checking down the field, etc.), it does make one wonder...

Rex saying he's "proud" of his team yesterday is downright assanine. This is why Rex Ryan is who he is and why Bill Belichick is who he is. And even though his squad was victorious, what do you think Tom Coughlin's will be saying to his team about the 11 penalties his team committed? The word "proud" won't be used, I can assure you of that. Rex saying he's proud of anything yesterday is embarrassing to not only fans, but his players. Even without the penalty catastrophe yesterday, the team was flat as a pancake. That team wouldn't have beaten a division II college team with that effort yesterday. Rex, you said it yourself, this is your last stop as an NFL head coach. These are not things an NFL coach says to his team. The message you send to them after 17 penalties, horrendous play calling and heinous tackling is "proud"?! If so, I shutter to think what ma become of this once promising season. I understand, just as after a win, this was only one game. But to deliver a message like that is like telling a child you're proud of them for for the C- they got on their test. This is a franchise that has missed the playoff 15 years and counting. If it's not acceptable to a fan that your team commits 17 penalties, you sure as hell shouldn't be telling your own team that your " proud" of them. Did you hear the reaction of the Bills fans inside Ralph Wilson Stadium yesterday afternoon? Are you "proud" of that?...

Very clear that Coughlin's/Spagnola's game plan was to take Karlos Williams out of the game and make Tyrod try to beat them through the air. Sometimes less is more as far as game planning and Rex should take a page out of Coughlin's/Belichick's playbooks in the future. Really appears (especially defensively) like he's over scheming at times.

The absences of Watkins and Shady McCoy hurt more than we all thought they would (myself included). It's clear that when both are healthy, the other position players are nothing more than complimentary. I do think Karlos will be the feature back in Buffalo in the future, but when healthy, LeSean McCoy can make chicken salad out of chicken **** as far as sub-par offensive line play goes, while Williams relys pretty much on being a smash-mouth, north-south runner. If Shady's ever healthy again here, he and Karlos would probably be in the top tier of RB duos in this league, taking some pressure off Tryod.

The goal line play calling in two consecutive red-zone possessions, coming away with zero points, was about as busch-league as it gets from Greg Roman. I still firmly believe Roman is a great offensive coordinator, but yesterday, I'm not quite sure what he was thinking down there. It's said that as the field gets shorter, the harder it is to get in the end zone, but come on, its not like the Giants were fielding the '85 Bears out there...

Eli Manning may never put up the stats that Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or even his older brother will. But there's a reason he's a two time SuperBowl champion. He's one of the most cerebral players, not just quarterbacks, players in the NFL.

As short of a time as they've been together, the Giants offensive line is just plain good. When you can keep our front four at bay all afternoon as they did, you deserve a hat tipped in your direction.

We got the Supe Bowl XXV vignette treatment from the FOX production crew as well as a condescending comment or two afterward from Moose and Kenny Albert that followed. As I'm sure, this week, the CBS crew will dig up the ol Music City Miracle footage from our last playoff appearance. I've said it before and I'll say it again, both of these memories don't hurt this fan as much as it does making the networks look tasteless and unoriginal. Freshen up the material, networks.

Lastly, the penalties, and Rex Ryan's postgame comments. I cannot remember the last time I saw one NFL team commit that many in one game. It's been done, but I've watched games where both teams involved don't commit that many infractions COMBINED. Yes, there were several calls that were borderline, in fact, the majority were petty (this is just my opinion). I have no opinion either way as far as whether or not the league officials "have it out for us", as Kyle Williams is implying, but after a day like that, where so many calls were going against us and the Giants were doing the same types of things (push offs, hand checking down the field, etc.), it does make one wonder...

Rex saying he's "proud" of his team yesterday is downright assanine. This is why Rex Ryan is who he is and why Bill Belichick is who he is. And even though his squad was victorious, what do you think Tom Coughlin's will be saying to his team about the 11 penalties his team committed? The word "proud" won't be used, I can assure you of that. Rex saying he's proud of anything yesterday is embarrassing to not only fans, but his players. Even without the penalty catastrophe yesterday, the team was flat as a pancake. That team wouldn't have beaten a division II college team with that effort yesterday. Rex, you said it yourself, this is your last stop as an NFL head coach. These are not things an NFL coach says to his team. The message you send to them after 17 penalties, horrendous play calling and heinous tackling is "proud"?! If so, I shutter to think what ma become of this once promising season. I understand, just as after a win, this was only one game. But to deliver a message like that is like telling a child you're proud of them for for the C- they got on their test. This is a franchise that has missed the playoff 15 years and counting. If it's not acceptable to a fan that your team commits 17 penalties, you sure as hell shouldn't be telling your own team that your " proud" of them. Did you hear the reaction of the Bills fans inside Ralph Wilson Stadium yesterday afternoon? Are you "proud" of that?...

The Bills would've destroyed a Division II college football team yesterday. The score might've been over 100-0.

Great post. It's nice to read something rational on here following a loss. Regarding Rex and this teams seemed lack of discipline, I agree, enough is enough. Be a bully on the football field in that you play physical on every play, but don't be stupid. Rex's comments about being proud of the effort yesterday were just plain insulting to fans who love this team.

Hyperbole indeed, but the post is pretty solid. I highly doubt he was being literal.

Sarcasm, implied (for the most part, lol). Also, since when did it become okay to instruct a punt returner to fair catch at the 10 yard line and back? This happened at least four times yesterday, resulting in awful field position.

As far as Rex's comments of being proud. We have no idea what he is saying to the team when the cameras are off, but I can pretty much promise you he is not using the word proud. Remember how Philbin created a QB controversy last year for saying something honest? Much better to make himself the story in this situation, and lay into the team hard during the week. Honestly, he probably isn't going to have to do much of that anyway. You think the players don't realize it is unaccepatble? They will correct this internally and not in the media.

I think what's happening is we are all so angry about the number of penalties, many of which were ticky tacky by the way, that we want to hear someone put our feelings into words and throw the team under the bus. Rex is not that kind of coach, and this will be a better team in the long run for it. I do agree that approach is quite unsatisfying today, but a head on a stake will not make us feel too much better, and certainly won't make this team better.

Sarcasm, implied (for the most part, lol). Also, since when did it become okay to instruct a punt returner to fair catch at the 10 yard line and back? This happened at least four times yesterday, resulting in awful field position.

I am against fair catching in general. I have seen too many botched catches resulting in turn overs. Either return it or get away from it.

Where was it reported he was instructed to fair catch on the 10?

Rex saying he's "proud" of his team yesterday is downright assanine. This is why Rex Ryan is who he is and why Bill Belichick is who he is. And even though his squad was victorious, what do you think Tom Coughlin's will be saying to his team about the 11 penalties his team committed? The word "proud" won't be used, I can assure you of that. Rex saying he's proud of anything yesterday is embarrassing to not only fans, but his players.

In his mind Rex may think he is supporting his team with his bravado but in reality his comments were embarrassing. The problem is he is who he is----you get what you get!

Great post. It's nice to read something rational on here following a loss. Regarding Rex and this teams seemed lack of discipline, I agree, enough is enough. Be a bully on the football field in that you play physical on every play, but don't be stupid. Rex's comments about being proud of the effort yesterday were just plain insulting to fans who love this team.

Whistle to whistle---good coaches preach that

I am against fair catching in general. I have seen too many botched catches resulting in turn overs. Either return it or get away from it.

The risk of not fair catching the ball on the 15 and the ball getting downed inside the 5 is greater than the risk of botching the catch. Its metrics my friend.

Great post OP.

I wish there was some way for these players to know what it is like to be a Bills fan. To want something so much but have so little control over. To have our hopes for a day hang on their efforts. The way the Bills played yesterday was embarrassing to themselves and to us.

Yes the other team had an extra couple of days rest and preparation, but the Bills need to rise to the challenge.

The D line got abused, what was suppose to be a strength has quietly become a question mark.

Tyrod looks like the real deal. Roman and Rex need to take the gloves off and go with it. How about coming out after half in a hurry up mode? or at some point during the second half after they got a first down?

We said the same thing about the punt returns. When did it become ok to catch punts inside the 10 yd line? Put your dang heals on the 10 and let the ball go over your head. Fake out the other team with a 'fake' catch effort or fair catch but let it go over your head. If the other team makes a great play and stops the ball inside the 5, tip your hat to them.

Whistle to whistle---good coaches preach that

The risk of not fair catching the ball on the 15 and the ball getting downed inside the 5 is greater than the risk of botching the catch. Its metrics my friend.

If you want to talk metrics, boil it down to the expected point value of each outcome, not just the probability of each outcome. If you show me that ill support it. Besides that, metrics are everywhere in support of certain play tactics that arent used, fourth a short yardage, 2pt conversions.

Saying its metrics is meaningless to me unless you show me some math. Until then, catch it and return it, or let it bounce.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

I concur 100%. WTF is there to be proud of? Missed tackles, missed field goals, stupid penalty after stupid penalty, getting their ass whupped by a mediocre team, atrocious offensive line play, losing the turnover battle, fair catches and muffed punts, no pass rush, etc. STF Rex and get some wins. Schwartz only rushed 4 and got 54 sacks. You and your zillion blitz schemes dropping Jerry Hughes in coverage and putting Kyle at DE are retarded. Are you on the Pats payroll? How can you take the defensive talent on the ball and render them impotent? FU Rex. Show me the bully

And I live in CT and wear Bills gear almost daily. I live smack dab in Giants/Patriots country and most of my friends are fans of one of those 2 teams. For the love of God, can we beat the Giants and Patriots once please? You better believe I have been hearing all about it the past 25 years. What the !@#$ is Rex proud of? His 2-2 record?

I'm proud of the team for fighting hard and not giving up. The penalties were insane. At least half dozen of them were BS. This is the sort of thing that can get you worked up to the point of losing your mind.

But the worst play of the game was Nigel Bradham missing that running back in the flat. He was a little out of position, but he needed to trip him up somehow.

I concur 100%. WTF is there to be proud of? Missed tackles, missed field goals, stupid penalty after stupid penalty, getting their ass whupped by a mediocre team, atrocious offensive line play, losing the turnover battle, fair catches and muffed punts, no pass rush, etc. STF Rex and get some wins. Schwartz only rushed 4 and got 54 sacks. You and your zillion blitz schemes dropping Jerry Hughes in coverage and putting Kyle at DE are retarded. Are you on the Pats payroll? How can you take the defensive talent on the ball and render them impotent? FU Rex. Show me the bully

Agree 100%