Wrong Offensive Gameplan

I liked the game plan last week with the offense. They came out passing, had some early success and that opened up the run game. I thought they would do the same this week with a solid Giants run D and weak secondary. Instead it seemed as though they tried to establish the run game first which was a bad idea. I like Roman, but am a bit baffled by the game plan this week.

I liked the game plan last week with the offense. They came out passing, had some early success and that opened up the run game. I thought they would do the same this week with a solid Giants run D and weak secondary. Instead it seemed as though they tried to establish the run game first which was a bad idea. I like Roman, but am a bit baffled by the game plan this week.

Good post. I think this is what hurt the most. We were in 2nd and 10 all game. Hurt the pass game and the run game.

Plus, where did the misdirection go in the run game, including the jet sweeps?

Good post. I think this is what hurt the most. We were in 2nd and 10 all game. Hurt the pass game and the run game.

Plus, where did the misdirection go in the run game, including the jet sweeps?

Also lots of play action last week as well. Gave Tyrod the run/throw option countless times. Moved the pocket, which freed up receivers down the field and kept the defense on their toes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by jmc12290

Yep. I think Roman played it safe. Without Watkins and McCoy, he thought "let's rely on Karlos"...bad idea. They couldn't run outside and the Giants knew it. They should have realized it way sooner, and let Tyrod throw it downfield. That might have opened up the ground game a little too.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Agreed. It seemed like it was "Karlos" focused rather than multidimensional. Harvin didn't factor into this gameplan nearly as much as I thought he would...

Agree. But I think the Giants made more plays than the Bills.

The Giants stripped Woods, wrestled the ball from Clay on the INT and missed tackles on the way to the game winning TD (51 yards instead of a 1 yard Loss).

On the other hand, the Bills missed a FG, missed 4th-and goal conversions; missed getting points on the board and keeping the game close.

Just those three plays were game changers

Even their plays to end the 1st half were too conservative and killed them , this is a passing league and you pass to open up the run.

I'm right here with you on this.

Yup. Commented on it in another thread. It's almost like Roman thought "Well we showed Tyrod is a threat with his arm in one game, now they will have to respect it". It's great that Tyrod beat the Dolphins with his arm but 1 game isn't going to make teams respect it. Roman needs to keep having Taylor throw and be successful. The Giants sold out to stop the run and it took until the 3rd qtr for Roman to realize it.

It's tough when you can't run the ball against a 4 man front with two high safeties. Really disappointing performance by the O-Line, in particular Urbick, S.Henderson and E.Wood. They made K.Wynn look like an All-Pro yesterday.

They should match up well with the Titans front but we'll see how it plays out.

The Bills simply don't have the talent on their O line to make a power run game work like Greg Roman had in SF, and three TE's isn't going to help that much if you don't have the horses on the line. When the Bills were in a clear running formation with 3 TE's the Giants stacked the box 5 on the line, and 8 in the box.

The Bills run game was mostly ineffective 24 rushes for 55 yards= a 2.3 YPC avg. and it helps to have the receivers past the first down marker on 3rd down. This happened over and over where on 3rd down the pass was completed but the receiver was tackled 3 yards behind the LoS.

Taylor's passes were off target a lot in the first half, and It looked like Eli Manning was doing more roll outs then Taylor.

Pass interference on Bills =1st down for the NY Giants on their first series, and resulted in a FG. I can tell you that at least 7 NY Giants first downs were the result of penalties on the Bills. This is a huge factor in the loss

False start on Cujo-personal foul on #55-illegal formation defense-holding defense Darby-flag on Duke Williams ST for going out of bounds on punt-pass interference offense on Clay after catching a for a first down-false start on Cujo on third and one :doh:

FIRST HALF: The Bills had 42 rushing yards, 36 passing yards = 78 yards of offense(one turnover) in the first half losing 16-3. Bills with only 2 first downs to the Giants 12 first downs in the half.

3rd QTR: 7 first downs now 118 passing yards= 159 yards total

All in all 17 penalties was just to much to overcome, as this killed drives, and called back two TD's

The Giants stripped Woods, wrestled the ball from Clay on the INT and missed tackles on the way to the game winning TD (51 yards instead of a 1 yard Loss).

On the other hand, the Bills missed a FG, missed 4th-and goal conversions; missed getting points on the board and keeping the game close.

While there is much focus on the Bills' failings, the Giants are a good team with a top tier QB. Yes, the Bills should've won this game, but this is no where near losing a game like they lost in Oakland last year.

One other 'game changer', had the Bills been able to pin the Giants deep after the touchdown. The return guy for the Giants let the ball bounce around on the 5 for a second or two.