Watkins' Value

Thurmal34

I know this is a sensitive topic around here and I'm not proclaiming to be steadfast in my opinion but I thought the value of Sammy Watkins was on full display today.

Granted I have not seen the all-22 so I don't know how the NYG handled their coverage but based on what I could see it sure felt like not having Watkins on the field severely stunted Buffalo's passing attack. Taylor, while harassed more than we would like, was constantly forced to look away from his WRs most of the game. Without a threat like Watkins to deal with it felt like the Giants' secondary was able to allow their front to play more aggressively than we have seen a team play the Bills so far.

I have heard a lot of talk about Watkins needing to put up better numbers and I certainly agree with some of that, but to me it felt like not having his skill set on the field today hurt the Bills in so many ways.

Every team scouted him. Every team knows how good he is. He got veteran WR respect from a coverage perspective as a rookie. How much of an effect did not having him out there have on today's outcome?

Thoughts?

Edited by Thurmal34

We missed Sammy big time and I think the tape will bear that out. I think we'll find that Harvin garnered the coverage usually assigned to Watkins. Clay took advantage a few times as a result of that, too. We need Sammy in our lineup. McCoy, too. He presents matchup issues to say the least.

GO BILLS!!!

The other question I have is why we could not get Woods more involved today? He has talent and has shown it thru 2 seasons. Bob Woods is not being used properly and I am not sure Roman knows how to get the most out of a WR of his type. This is not a knock against Roman, though.

Woods needs to be on the outside or tucked inside where he can be matched up against defenders and use his strength and toughness to beat and wear down offenders. Roman is not giving him that opportunity.

Agreed Boyst. I expected Woods to get a ton of looks today with Harvin playing the Watkins role. There either wasn't time or it wasn't schemed. Woods is a rock solid player and he was underused today.

why didn't we adapt? why didn't we change our game plan?

in the second half we should have limited Karlos Williams' role. Put in Cierre to block some, as he appears very good at it. Mixed it up with Dixon who in limitted reps did well. We didn't need to establish a running game as we showed success in the passes.

Instead we wasted time going to short routes on Hogan and mis-utilized Woods who is strong enough and good enough to have run quick routes to out muscle DB's.

why didn't we adapt? why didn't we change our game plan?

in the second half we should have limited Karlos Williams' role. Put in Cierre to block some, as he appears very good at it. Mixed it up with Dixon who in limitted reps did well. We didn't need to establish a running game as we showed success in the passes.

Instead we wasted time going to short routes on Hogan and mis-utilized Woods who is strong enough and good enough to have run quick routes to out muscle DB's.

Dunno. Told a buddy to watch for Woods this morning, thought today was tailor (Taylor?) made for him. Should have been a much bigger part of the offense. He's as a good of a #2 as there is in the league.

Dunno. Told a buddy to watch for Woods this morning, thought today was tailor (Taylor?) made for him. Should have been a much bigger part of the offense. He's as a good of a #2 as there is in the league.

I like Taylor, but the offense may be more Taylor-made for guys like Clay, Percy, and Sammy than chains moving guys like Woods.

exactly. it worries me about hte inadequacies of this teams coaching staff. rex had several different types of teams in ny, but all of them were tough. those that weren't had poor records. he didn't have the high level talent like we have now; it scares me. i think he is out of his element here and i would have much more faith in this team if he can and had better tested assistants/coordinators

i would prefer swchartz as the dc.

Is he ? Woods didn't do much out there today, and his fumble was pretty bad. It's easier to get open when you are the 3rd guy the D is worried about . SW can't get back soon enough.

Is he ? Woods didn't do much out there today, and his fumble was pretty bad. It's easier to get open when you are the 3rd guy the D is worried about . SW can't get back soon enough.

Agreed, was shouting at the TV for him to just go OB, but I think that was a case of a player trying to do too much at the wrong time. As much as I hated the decision he made to stay IB, I think he fell victim to trying to make something big happen.

We have seen him be successful in the #2 role many times. We know he's a really talented kid with good hands and a penchant for making a key play to keep the chains moving. With Sammy out and our staff having to know Percy would be blanketed, why wasn't he a bigger part of the game today?

Did Taylor just not have enough time du to poor OL play? Or did Roman miss a chance? I'm not sure. I do know he certainly is capable of being a key cog in an offensive game plan.

Right. His first missed game of his career was today, no?

Yep. Even gimpy but on the field he brings value IMO.

I'll be mad when woods doesn't get resigned here and plays for a top 6 QB and put up crazy numbers...he has great hands and is tough to cover in the slot or on the outside with his toughness... If it came between woods and Harvin I would go with woods.

I know we are not allowed to say it around here, but Odell Beckham Jr. also proved Sammy's value relative to him today ...

While Beckham's 5 catches for 38 yards were not impressive numbers, his presence on the field allowed other players to shine.

That's the point about Sammy being out, so yeah, thank you!

This. People on here are acting like Shady/Watkins had a combined 8 touchdowns coming into this game. Production has been subpar from both this year.

I guess maybe the point of this thread is getting lost.

For some reason people seem to be confusing presence with production. Not sure why.

exactly. it worries me about hte inadequacies of this teams coaching staff. rex had several different types of teams in ny, but all of them were tough. those that weren't had poor records. he didn't have the high level talent like we have now; it scares me. i think he is out of his element here and i would have much more faith in this team if he can and had better tested assistants/coordinators

i would prefer swchartz as the dc.

In fairness he wanted to keep him. But schwartz left because of schematic differences. That was a tough loss

We missed Sammy big time and I think the tape will bear that out. I think we'll find that Harvin garnered the coverage usually assigned to Watkins. Clay took advantage a few times as a result of that, too. We need Sammy in our lineup. McCoy, too. He presents matchup issues to say the least.

GO BILLS!!!

Done

My bad, the unmeasurable stat confused me.

1) They both were injured at the start of the season

2) Having both on the field opens up the offense, as evidenced by Percy Harvin's stat lines in the first three games

This. People on here are acting like Shady/Watkins had a combined 8 touchdowns coming into this game. Production has been subpar from both this year.

Ummm bills were averaging 35 plus points a game before today where Watkins/McCoy didn't play.

You're doing it wrong.