The Chop Block Rule

From the NFL rule book:

A chop block is a foul by the offense in which one offensive player (designated as A1 for purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive player (A2) occupies that same defensive player in one of the circumstances described in subsections (1) through (10) below.

The penalty on Incognito was not a penalty.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the NFL rule book:

A chop block is a foul by the offense in which one offensive player (designated as A1 for purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive player (A2) occupies that same defensive player in one of the circumstances described in subsections (1) through (10) below.

It was a bad call!

@MikePereira

#NYGvsBUF To me, it's at the waist. It has to be at the thigh or blow, I don't think it's a chop block. #NFLonFOX

@PrescottRossi

ChopBlock: 2nd OL engages defender "in area of waist". Initial contact @ waist-borderline. IMO push to thigh got him https://vine.co/v/e2iWOr20g2l

That rule was put in place to stop the increasing incidences of guys getting their legs cut from the side. It was turning into an epidemic and they finally made it a point of emphasis to protect the DL's legs. Not in a month of Sundays did I ever think I'd see some jackwagon interpret it from the ribs down.

From the NFL rule book:

agreed...and i did not think it was close...and the Bills will get an apoolgy and still have a loss

Edited by plenzmd1

This penalty has not been called correctly all season. The refs are calling it tighter than the rulebook, and it's not reviewable to make sure they got it right. Coaches should know this, especially Buffalo's staff because Clay was called for a WTF chop block in week 1.

To be safe, teams should consider this blocking technique to be dead. It's a penalty risk every time it happens, regardless if it executed correctly (according to the rule book) or not.

Another crew headed by a rookie referee. I can't recall so many marginal or inconsistent calls (one series they let the dbs be physical, the next they're calling it the exact opposite way). At least four clearly blown calls made by guys in no position to throw that flag.

The London game this morning was just as bad (23 penalties for 240+ yards). Hard to "sell the NFL" to a foreign and/or younger audience if they're going to make it flag football and 50+ FanDual / Draft Kings commercials...

This penalty has not been called correctly all season. The refs are calling it tighter than the rulebook, and it's not reviewable to make sure they got it right. Coaches should know this, especially Buffalo's staff because Clay was called for a WTF chop block in week 1.

To be safe, teams should consider this blocking technique to be dead. It's a penalty risk every time it happens, regardless if it executed correctly (according to the rule book) or not.

MOST teams should consider this blocking technique to be dead. Some will still be able to get away with it.

It was a penalty. He was trying to go low.

No, he was trying to send the message that he could go low at any time he wanted because there had been some liberties being taken with guys legs shortly before that.

He knew exactly what he was doing and made sure the block was legal but still got a point across.

This league has been chock-full of over-officious jerks for a few years now and it looks like it's finally coming to a head.

It was a penalty and a stupid one. Didn't do anything in terms of buying TT more time. Wasn't even worth the risk

What is wrong about a double team? That is what it looked like to me. BTW,you can search and search and never find me blaming the refs..and i am not saying Bills win the game if this call is not called. Just think this was the wrong call

No, he was trying to send the message that he could go low at any time he wanted because there had been some liberties being taken with guys legs shortly before that.

He knew exactly what he was doing and made sure the block was legal but still got a point across.

This league has been chock-full of over-officious jerks for a few years now and it looks like it's finally coming to a head.

Even if that is what he was doing, which I highly doubt, why do it? It didn't have any effect on the play and didn't buy TT more time. How does showing the league that the refs are jerks help the Bills? It was a dumb play by Ingognito.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Problem was there was no need for RI to even touch the guy.

From the game thread so I don't have to re-type it:

I said it earlier and I'll say it again, when you have an athletic QB that runs like TT does, there is no time that you shouldn't be looking around for a block. Yes, it ended up being unnecessary, but Incognito doesn't know that at the time. For all he knows, the play is breaking down behind him and TT is getting ready to run. He isn't engaged so he finds the nearest guy and engages, LEGALLY. It was good play and is what everyone on that OL should be doing.

Edited by Acantha

Even if that is what he was doing, which I highly doubt, why do it? It didn't have any effect on the play and didn't buy TT more time. How does showing the league that the refs are jerks help the Bills? It was a dumb play by Ingognito.

It was a legal play by Ingognito. End of story. Bad call.

That wasn't a planned block that was in the game plan, it was a double team after the initial block.

Except it wasn't. He went low and there was absolutely no reason for him to do it.

I'll ask you the same question I asked someone else and didn't get an answer. What is the highest point a player can hit and be considered "low" in your definition?

So should he just stand around playing thumbs reverse?

No, but he can engage him up top so there isn't even a question. Why dive at his hips? I agree, it wasn't a good call when seen via replay but when you dive towards a player and you end up at their feet there's a decent chance a flag will fly on that.

Except it was. He hit him at the waist. It wasn't low.

Sorry Shell Fish, he was above the waist all day long. Terrible, terrible call.

I'll ask you the same question I asked someone else and didn't get an answer. What is the highest point a player can hit and be considered "low" in your definition?

What you all fail to realize is that he engaged the player that was already being blocked BELOW the player that was already blocking him. The league has made a POINT this year to make those calls to protect the DL Incognito PURPOSEFULLY went low on the block. He was absolutely dumb for doing it. That will get flagged EVERY time.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

What you all fail to realize is that he engaged the player that was already being blocked BELOW the player that was already blocking him. The league has made a POINT this year to make those calls to protect the DL Incognito PURPOSEFULLY went low on the block. He was absolutely dumb for doing it. That will get flagged EVERY time.

:doh: That has NOTHING to do with the rule!

There has been emphasis on ILLEGAL blocks. This wasn't illegal. It was well within the rules. Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

That wasn't a planned block that was in the game plan, it was a double team after the initial block.

Right. They need to be coached up that engaging a pass rusher who is already engaged with another offensive lineman could result in a 15 yard penalty, regardless if they hit the rusher high or low.

It's a crap shoot due to the way the refs are calling it on the field. Just like lineman are coached on what a ref will call when it comes to holding or blocks in the back, they have to be coached up on this too.

From the NFL rule book:

I don't know what anyone else is talking about. The initial contact was above the waist, thus it was legal and 7 points were stolen from us. That crew today did an injustice to the game with some really crappy calls both ways, and led to the outbursts of emotion from certain Bills. That said, Rex needs to control these boys.

The NFL has a big problem with the game taking too long. Games scheduled on TV are taking longer due to more penalties and rule changes to protect the player forcing the game to be more pass dependent. Thus there are more stoppages due to penalties and incompletions which slow down the game more than a bad soccer match. If the NFL is trying to sell the game to other countries, it has to make it faster pace, thus more contact allowed on defense in the passing game and having an off field official to help expedite penalty decisions (or even communications between officials via headset).

How can anyone make a case this is a "chop" block thrown at the player's legs?!

I can easily see the flag being throw if a ref (who is watching more than just Cog) seeing a guy dive towards a player's midsection and ends up at his feet. Sure, it's not the right call (particularly when you watch the replay) but the refs have to make bang bang decisions and it's easy to nitpick things watching a replay in slow motion. Just engage him up top and don't give the ref a chance to throw the flag.

I can easily see the flag being throw if a ref (who is watching more than just Cog) seeing a guy dive towards a player's midsection and ends up at his feet. Sure, it's not the right call (particularly when you watch the replay) but the refs have to make bang bang decisions and it's easy to nitpick things watching a replay in slow motion. Just engage him up top and don't give the ref a chance to throw the flag.

Yeah, Incognito is stupid. He just needs to make sure his block are the really mostest legal that he can make them!