Whaley's Roster Construction Close to Completion

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more concerned about losing Harvin, Incognito right now.

I don't even want to think about what happens if Tyrod Taylor becomes the next Russell Wilson play, and pay. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2015/3/18/8236345/tyrod-taylor-contract-details-buffalo-bills-qb-nfl-free-agency-2015

We're gonna have some really tough choices to make if he's successful. I mean, it'll be awesome to be in a position to make those choices for once, but still.

A new challenge is going to be keeping talent and replacing talent that we lose. I am not saying we are going to lose a lot of guys, But I would say it will be hard to keep all of them. I wasn't expecting Incognito to play so well. I thought he would be just a one year player for us. Looks like we will want to re-sign him now too, which is just another person to add to our list for the offseason.

It will be pretty difficult to keep bradham, harvin, incognito, Glenn, etc know that we also have too look down the road in re-signing Gilmore and possibly a franchise QB.

A lot of it will depend on how much the cap goes up. If it goes up a good amount, then maybe with some creativity we can keep our stars mainly intact

I don't think we need to re-sign Incognito. Yes, he's been a nice player, but he's 35. Perhaps he'd be willing to stay for a workable salary, but I don't think we should overpay for him - and...I think he will want to take a shot at testing the market and getting one more pay day.

Close? Hardly. With only five "Williams" on the team, he's at least three short.

Venus & Serena are out there.

It started with Buddy and it's being tied up nicely with Doug Whaley. This team has oodles of talent, we have a 2nd round pick as the AFC Defensive Rookie of the Month and a 5th round running back running lights out and a 3rd rounder as our starting RG. You can nit-pick all you want, but this team is better than it has been in a long, long, long time. Now with ownership that will actually pay to retain talent, you can see things are looking up.

+ 1 on that, baby.

I will always remain skeptical until I see consistency on the field. Too many ups in recent years were inevitably followed by disappointing downs. I'm encouraged so far, but reluctant to get too excited just yet.

You can't tell there's something different going on?

Yeah, this is no Trent Edwards type start. This team has been accruing talent for a few years, it just needed a QB to actually make the leap. There is way more talent on this team than any of the past teams that had a decent start. And the wins are solid, not 6-3 victories over Cleveland.

Just look at those old rosters. The receivers on those teams were totally subpar, let alone the QB's. Some of the defenses were pretty good, but had glaring holes. This defense is just loaded.

Edited by HoF Watkins

You can't tell there's something different going on?

The thought has been there previously and the organization came crashing down. Yes, this time it does seem different but it is all still very new. Also, it's really tough when your primary rival has a coach and QB who play lights out and to help themselves will overlook and bend rules. The Bills have certainly made themselves relevant again.

I don't think we need to re-sign Incognito. Yes, he's been a nice player, but he's 35. Perhaps he'd be willing to stay for a workable salary, but I don't think we should overpay for him - and...I think he will want to take a shot at testing the market and getting one more pay day.

He's 32 not 35. Look it up on wikipedia with his DOB. He is worth a solid contract, not a windfall. He's the best interior lineman on our team right now. I don't see Harvin even with a good year getting alot of looks aside of us so we should be able to resign him as we did this year. I believe we should get a 16 game TV contract from 8 on a network for Thursday night football so we'll have an increase in the cap as all of you know the players get I believe 52% of the proceeds in cap.

It will be tight, but we should be able to keep most. If El Pegul gets a playoff team with sold out games every week, he'll keep spending. He loves it as he can always make more money drilling another hole as he states.

I would like to see better OL play.....but I really like what Whaley has done with the team.

I am trying to figure out what is going on with Glenn........has he reached his ceiling and is now regressing? 2 years ago NOBODY gets by this guy or even moves him off the line.....and was a beast in the run game.

Seantrel Henderson? The guy is hurt every game.

I dont know if Kujo has reached his ceiling......I would like to think he can get better then this

John Miller is a rook and is playing like a rook......and I think he is gonna be a good one

Cog looks like we need to start talking to him about a contract extention.....NOW

Then there are the linebackers....

I want to see what we have in a couple of the young LB's......especially Seward......there is a LB or two that are playing ST's that I think are capable of more

I think we need to continue to work on our OL in the draft

Whaley talks about drafting for players to sit and learn for awhile, and I don't see that as feasible at all unless you hit on every draft pick. Then considering the turnover of players each team goes through every year.

John in the post above mentions the offensive line, and it looks only partially built from my view. I don't know if Kouandjio will even ever become a valid starter out of a 2nd round pick, and teams really can't wait 2-3 years to see if they become a decent starter. This is the second year for Kujo already.

This last off season Whaley went after a top free agent OT & OG, and missed out on both. Should the team have signed those two then I think the team would be a lot more finished then it is.

Then if Glenn or Incognito isn't resigned, good lord!

Our future looks tremendous.

Now that most likely QB is not a major need, what are our needs for draft and FA next year? Safety? Tackle? Nickel CB? We're looking really good.

Backup DE, CB (if McKelvin gets cut next year), backup ILB, Kicker (someone who can handle kickoffs and field goals), and OL depth. Pretty nice that almost every need is for depth.

Backup DE, CB (if McKelvin gets cut next year), backup ILB, Kicker (someone who can handle kickoffs and field goals), and OL depth. Pretty nice that almost every need is for depth.

Wouldn't mind a FS in the first round to replace Graham who's getting old and out of position. Other than that, BPA all the way.

Wouldn't mind a FS in the first round to replace Graham who's getting old and out of position. Other than that, BPA all the way.

Graham is neither old nor out of position and is playing very well at the position he should be in now. A lot of good CBs get switched to S after a few years. Not to mention that his skill set fits safety very well. Where does that come from?

Graham is neither old nor out of position and is playing very well at the position he should be in now. A lot of good CBs get switched to S after a few years. Not to mention that his skill set fits safety very well. Where does that come from?

He's 30 and is a converted CB. Not a lot of years left. And he's only played what, 2 NFL games at FS. Nothing wrong with getting a good young player who's natural position is FS.