Patriots OL Rotations

johnwalter

Found this article very interesting, thought I'd share:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2015/09/patriots_line_combos_make_foes_dizzy

Even if you hate the guy, you must admit that he is an innovator and one of the best, if not the best, HC of all time. Brings new stuff like this to the game every season, and it almost always works (to the tune of 119 points in the first three games).

Also answers a few questions about why our $250MM DL wasn't able to get more pressure against an OL starting two late-round rooks.

Found this article very interesting, thought I'd share:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2015/09/patriots_line_combos_make_foes_dizzy

Even if you hate the guy, you must admit that he is an innovator and one of the best, if not the best, HC of all time. Brings new stuff like this to the game every season, and it almost always works (to the tune of 119 points in the first three games).

Also answers a few questions about why our $250MM DL wasn't able to get more pressure against an OL starting two late-round rooks.

Bellicheat is by all means the best at plugging and playing with personnel. I don't believe he would be as consistently successful without Brady as the bedrock in it all. There has been no other team able to see very good players come and go and still play at a high level.

I really don't see any reason in that article that would explain why our DL didn't get pressure on Brady. You should be able to rotate OL all day long and that should have little to no effect on the bills DL. Brady's ability to get rid of the ball quickly and be deadly accurate is the only reason I still see.

Also they are obviously bringing in OL for certain schemes and situation, IMO that could turn into a tell once teams catch up on the tape. But Billy probably has a way to counter that

Edited by ddaryl

I really don't see any reason in that article that would explain why our DL didn't get pressure on Brady. You should be able to rotate OL all day long and that should have little to no effect on the bills DL. Brady's ability to get rid of the ball quickly and be deadly accurate is the only reason I still see.

Also they are obviously bringing in OL for certain schemes and situation, IMO that could turn into a tell once teams catch up on the tape. But Billy probably has a way to counter that

Poor game plan on our part, we'll adjust

It also helps to have a first-ballot Hall Of Fame QB who can analyze defenses with two or three glances down the field.

I hate the Pats* just like any other self respecting Bills fan, but until they're knocked off the AFC East perch there's not much we can say.

Easy to do when he has the play clock reset for no reason and gets an extra 20 seconds at the line to analyze the defense.

The line rotations really aren't that big of a deal. At the end of the day, the average time passed between snap and throw versus Buffalo was 1.67 seconds. That is beyond fast. Barring an "ole" block of a bullfighter allowing our defensive guys to get to lady Brady, it's not going to happen. I would attribute less success of their line to the players themselves and more to Brady.

You're not going to get to a QB that gets rid of the ball that fast unless you know the snap count and even then you might get called for offside or encroachment. Hopefully, Rex can figure out another way to make him hold the ball longer with press coverage and the like. I'm starting to feel the game in November is going to be for the division crown if we keep playing like we have and Tyrod improving each week.

Easy to do when he has the play clock reset for no reason and gets an extra 20 seconds at the line to analyze the defense.

Or say, when the first 5-10 years in the league were predicated on knowing exactly what the defenses are going to do.

When a kid has all the test questions for the SAT in grade 8, don't be surprised when he aces the PSAT a few years later. This is the largest part f all the cheating for me. Would Brady have been great without all the help? We don't know, but imagine how quickly a TT or an EJ would have gone if they had the answers. Carson Palmer? Hell, Luck makes a ton of mistakes, how many would he be making if he knew the defense, and how great would he be at reading defenses given the "curve"

I'd take BB over TB 11 days of the week. You can argue chicken or the egg, but TB would not have the career he has had or learned how to push past what it allowed by the rules without BB. TB didn't win them games early on, their defense did which allowed TB to blossom.

Edited by jeremy2020

Or say, when the first 5-10 years in the league were predicated on knowing exactly what the defenses are going to do.

When a kid has all the test questions for the SAT in grade 8, don't be surprised when he aces the PSAT a few years later. This is the largest part f all the cheating for me. Would Brady have been great without all the help? We don't know, but imagine how quickly a TT or an EJ would have gone if they had the answers. Carson Palmer? Hell, Luck makes a ton of mistakes, how many would he be making if he knew the defense, and how great would he be at reading defenses given the "curve"

So NOW, without deflated balls, or playbooks left behind in hotel rooms/locker rooms, they are still tearing up the league.

And with everyone from ESPN, to the owners, to the commissioner, to the opposing players, all hating them, you think the officials (who they made look ridiculous by deflating footballs under their noses) are letting them get away with penalties?

There is a thin line between cheating and innovation. This guy consistently and constantly pushes the envelope.

He is a true trail-blazer and a typical American.

USA! USA! USA! Is filled with great minds.

I am proud to be a part of this Country.

Imo

The line rotations really aren't that big of a deal. At the end of the day, the average time passed between snap and throw versus Buffalo was 1.67 seconds. That is beyond fast. Barring an "ole" block of a bullfighter allowing our defensive guys to get to lady Brady, it's not going to happen. I would attribute less success of their line to the players themselves and more to Brady.

I agree Brady is a big part of the success they have, but there is more to it. I was watching how helpless the defense was because of the presnap shifts. Usually the QB will send guys in motion and then wait for them to get set before starting the audible. With the system they are running, they simply are not using an audible. The very second that the guys in motion set, the ball is coming out, leaving the defense with no chance whatsoever to read the offense. This is why they had the mighty Bills defense backpedaling the whole game.

The good news is Buffalo is doing a lot of the same types of presnap movement to throw defenses off. It's showing immediate results too. In fact some of the things NE does, they borrowed from Greg Roman's SF offenses. Buffalo has a lot more talent but they are just learning. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out later in the season to see if Buffalo can catch up.

So smart, and yet they still cheat. That's what infuriates me.

They must be cheating by doing just that!

But really, whether effective or not , it is interesting.

How do you scout that stuff?

Tendencies dont matter when you switch uo so often.

The way to defeat that is to play fundamentals and execute.

When a defense looks for the player weakness, it disappears next play! Because its not the same player!

How big is the Pats roster anyways. do they get like 60 dressed to pull this malarkey off?

geebus i loathe and despise them.

There is a thin line between cheating and innovation. This guy consistently and constantly pushes the envelope.

He is a true trail-blazer and a typical American.

USA! USA! USA! Is filled with great minds.

I am proud to be a part of this Country.

Imo

your ancestors probably shot all the Buffalo from a train for fun too. and never retrieved the meat and pelts.

J/k bud : )