Record number of penalties

Nitro

NFL announced that there was a record 733 accepted penalties in the first three weeks. Throwing it out to those on TBD as to the reason behind the flags flying fast and furious in games. Could it be the NFL told the refs to tightened up the game? Players not heeding the rules? New but secret bonus program for the refs? Give your two cents worth from the ridiculous to the sublime. GO BILLS!

NFL announced that there was a record 733 accepted penalties in the first three weeks. Throwing it out to those on TBD as to the reason behind the flags flying fast and furious in games. Could it be the NFL told the refs to tightened up the game? Players not heeding the rules? New but secret bonus program for the refs? Give your two cents worth from the ridiculous to the sublime. GO BILLS!

I might be inclined to agree with this IF the calls the refs were making were consistent, and enforced the actual rules. Instead, they are all over the map. Recent examples would be Boobie's "Roughing the Kicker" against Indy, and Darby's "defensive holding" against the Pats when he got picked. Speaking of which, how about they throw a flag on a pick ever???

I might be inclined to agree with this IF the calls the refs were making were consistent, and enforced the actual rules. Instead, they are all over the map. Recent examples would be Boobie's "Roughing the Kicker" against Indy, and Darby's "defensive holding" against the Pats when he got picked. Speaking of which, how about they throw a flag on a pick ever???

Right. It's not about the number.

They could call 1 million penalties and I wouldn't care as long as they're consistent.

Ok, maybe I would care if it was actually 1 million.

Like on McCoy's TD? I agree that the pick doesn't get called enough, but the issue is inconsistency of the refs. It is mysterious how it gets called at inopportune times.

I think some of the refs like the facetime on tv and think they their personas are a part of the game like the athletes.

My problem is for example how subjective some of the penalties have been. Like playing the pats* week 2 we would always seem to get called for a penalty at a crucial time while the pats* were still penalized but they had minimal effect at the time they were called. After all the scandals I was Hoping the nfl woul crack down on the pats* but it still seems kraft* has rogers naked selfies as blackmail hanging over his head to get his way.

I'm finding the games unwatchable. I'm not sure what the league thinks it is doing but it's horrible. The product is starting to suffer. I wonder if Mark Cuban was onto something. The flags are flying, the league is litigating against its biggest star, highschool players are dying playing the game, CTE is an epidemic. The NFL needs to mind its product because pigs get slaughtered.

I'm finding the games unwatchable. I'm not sure what the league thinks it is doing but it's horrible. The product is starting to suffer. I wonder if Mark Cuban was onto something. The flags are flying, the league is litigating against its biggest star, highschool players are dying playing the game, CTE is an epidemic. The NFL needs to mind its product because pigs get slaughtered.

Roger needs to be removed. The league needs a new commissioner

Like on McCoy's TD? I agree that the pick doesn't get called enough, but the issue is inconsistency of the refs. It is mysterious how it gets called at inopportune times.

the pick play is legal, that's why it isn't called. When it turns into holding it isn't legal. Just found that out this year.

Making the game unwatchable. Well it has been pretty much unwatchable for a few years not. This is just putting the nail in the coffin for me. :thumbdown:

just DVR it and wait until 1:35 or so to start watching. works like a charm. you miss every stupid 1st half commercial and halftime crap. you see the 2nd half live when commercials are more limited... it works..

the pick play is legal, that's why it isn't called. When it turns into holding it isn't legal. Just found that out this year.

In order for it to be legal the receiver must be engaged with the defender before the ball is in the air and be no more than 1 yard from the line of scrimmage and obviously the receiver must not hold.

If the receiver engages after the pass is thrown or engages before the pass is thrown but more than 1 yard downfield then it is offensive pass interference.

EDIT: You also cannot pick a defender already engaged with a different receiver.

Edited by GunnerBill

I thought that Patriots game was agonizing. Not even because of egregious favoritism, but just because it's no fun to watch a game when a flag nullifies every other play. It's like watching a basketball game that degrades to a free throw competition.

I don't know what the answer is, but it seems there are either too many rules or the rules are too stringent because it's getting ridiculous.

just DVR it and wait until 1:35 or so to start watching. works like a charm. you miss every stupid 1st half commercial and halftime crap. you see the 2nd half live when commercials are more limited... it works..

I'd have to have a DVR in order to do that.

I thought that Patriots game was agonizing. Not even because of egregious favoritism, but just because it's no fun to watch a game when a flag nullifies every other play. It's like watching a basketball game that degrades to a free throw competition.

I don't know what the answer is, but it seems there are either too many rules or the rules are too stringent because it's getting ridiculous.

Oh I found the answer. Spend Sundays doing something fun instead.