Mario Williams

TheJuice

How is he playing so far this year? Who's he likely to face against the Giants? Breakout game potential? I just haven't been paying that much attention to him. I realize defenders can "quietly" play very well and maybe that's the case here. I think we really need him at his best to make the playoffs, especially in the later stages of the season. Thoughts?

Edited by TheJuice

He was not getting double teamed all that often yesterday. Did get held a few times, but so does everyone else. It's Mario Williams though. He's a moody player going back to his days in Houston. Guy can flat out dominate some games when he's up for it. Others, he'll manage to get by on talent alone.

Mario is getting held a bit, and doesn't have the sack numbers, but he does the little things, like setting the edge, occupying space, etc. As a result, Jerry is running wild. I think he's playing better than the critics are saying.

Mario was basically horse-collared on the Dolphins second TD. It was sinful and right in front of a ref...If this keeps up, Rex is going to have problems living up to his goal of cleaning up the language on the sidelines.

Mario earns his money in my book...he sets the edge like a Donald Trump wall and gets significant pressure. The front four was great yesterday and yet just 2 sacks to show for it...could have easily been a 5 plus sack game but Tannehill threw picks and throwaways instead...

Mario was basically horse-collared on the Dolphins second TD. It was sinful and right in front of a ref...If this keeps up, Rex is going to have problems living up to his goal of cleaning up the language on the sidelines.

Mario earns his money in my book...he sets the edge like a Donald Trump wall and gets significant pressure. The front four was great yesterday and yet just 2 sacks to show for it...could have easily been a 5 plus sack game but Tannehill threw picks and throwaways instead...

Forget cleaning up the language, Rex is going to have problems not blowing a vein in his skull.

He was a monster yesterday.

His play on the edges sets up everything else they do defensively.

The ability to hit gaps with pressure packages stems from the fact that teams have to game plan around Mario and Dareus, and it's a beautiful thing to watch.

I loved seeing Miami have to keep a back and a TE in to block. 7 to block 4...fantastic.

The ability to hit gaps with pressure packages stems from the fact that teams have to game plan around Mario and Dareus, and it's a beautiful thing to watch.

I loved seeing Miami have to keep a back and a TE in to block. 7 to block 4...fantastic.

This

Correct. Give it a few more games for teams to start getting worn down, and watch Mario/the D line's sack numbers start to skyrocket. Or just throw the ball in a panic like Tannehill or Luck to be picked off by our secondary. Pick your poison. I think we're fine with either.

The fantastic part was when we rushed another player from LB or DB the play was pretty much dead in the water. This front is good enough to make them hurry without additional help from the other 7 players.

Edited by The Wiz

This and the holds. I saw three absolute cast iron holds on Mario go uncalled yesterday and that is without replay or all-22. That is just watching in real time at a sometimes unhelpful camera angle.... how the officials missed them I have no idea.

Mario is going to make someone pay very, very soon.

Dennis Thurman was asked about him in a recent presser. He seemed to chuckle and said how do you know what we are asking him to do ?

I took this as a vote of confidence> i think Mario is doing just fine as a team player.

Agreed , he will have his day. He has not lost a step. Took notice of his hustle and awareness Sunday. He is so disciplined its stupid. lets no one outside the edge, and pushes the pocket every down back into Kyle and MD.

As mentioned his play allows the Dennis to do some more fun things. 100 milion buck and he has never been glory hog. Gotta respect that man.
and i did not like the signing especially the first season. color me converted, and how!!!

I think the only reason why we're not seeing all the sacks this year so far is because of how fast the QB's are getting the ball out of there hand.

agreed. Its going to be about INTs and INCs.

Notice no one really runs at us?

Great responses so far folks. I wasn't really worried about him. I just haven't been watching many individuals out there and was wondering what he was up to so far. I feel like this week could be big for him. A couple sacks and a forced fumble perhaps. Maybe even a pick. Is there anyone outside of Manning/OBJ to be concerned about? How's their offensive line? This game makes me kind of nervous for some reason. I guess they all do.

Dennis Thurman was asked about him in a recent presser. He seemed to chuckle and said how do you know what we are asking him to do ?

I took this as a vote of confidence> i think Mario is doing just fine as a team player.

Agreed , he will have his day. He has not lost a step. Took notice of his hustle and awareness Sunday. He is so disciplined its stupid. lets no one outside the edge, and pushes the pocket every down back into Kyle and MD.

As mentioned his play allows the Dennis to do some more fun things. 100 milion buck and he has never been glory hog. Gotta respect that man.

and i did not like the signing especially the first season. color me converted, and how!!!

agreed. Its going to be about INTs and INCs.

Notice no one really runs at us?

Glad you've come around! He's not the flashiest but it's amazing how well he does his job every play- and by being a monster 300 lbs man, that job isn't just trying to beat the tackle around the corner. His strength allows him to be a nasty role player even when he's not the showcase.