RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet, he had done so already on a part time basis beforehand. And we haven't gone three years without one CB going down for at least a few games so it was smart even before the injuries/position switches.

Fair enough. At the time it didn't seem like it made too much sense. Many of the posters who have a ton of football knowledge seemed to disagree with the pick. Just goes to show you, the draft is a total crapshoot. I doubt even DW thought Darby would be playing as well as he has been.

Fair enough. At the time it didn't seem like it made too much sense. Many of the posters who have a ton of football knowledge seemed to disagree with the pick. Just goes to show you, the draft is a total crapshoot. I doubt even DW thought Darby would be playing as well as he has been.

I don't know about that. DW had darby as best player available and by a large margin.

What gets me about Whaley is that he nailed Watkins in saying there wasn't a large gap between him and the rest of the WR's but still went full derp.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I don't know about that. They had him as best player available and by a large margin.

What gets me about Whaley is that he nailed Watkins in saying there wasn't a large gap between him and the rest of the WR's but still went full derp.

That's true, but Darby is playing lights out. At the NFL level, that's almost unheard of for a rookie CB. It's commonly said it has the second biggest learning curve in the NFL. Darby is playing better than GIlmore was as a rookie, and Gilmore went #9 overall.

I don't doubt Whaley thought he'd be decent, and loved his potential as a physical freak, but he's playing like a #1 overall CB. Similar to how no one thought ODB would be as good as he was once he started playing.

My initial reaction to the pick was that I didn't like it. I didn't think we needed a CB even though you can never have enough good CBs. But we didn't know that Leodis would suffer a setback and wouldn't be ready. Quickly after the pick, however, like a lot of people, it started to make a lot more sense. And I was a lot more in favor of it after my initial emotional reaction, like a lot of people here were as I recall. Turns out to be a great pick.

I don't know about that. DW had darby as best player available and by a large margin.

I'm going to assume that Whaley new before the Watkins pick that 2015 was a down year. So he knew he would move up for the most potential in the draft using his 2014 first round choice if it became available. I like the choice. I don't think we missed much in the 2014 first round.