Kiko vs. Shady

T master

if they would have traded him for a pick, what round? The Bills didn't have a 1st, they couldn't give up a 2nd or 3rd in this draft since they were so light to begin with, and they didn't have a 4th. I don't think the Eagles would take a 5th round pick for an all pro 26 yr old RB.

But since none of us were directly involved, We are all just speculating other than what the GMs specifically said. They did ask for picks and Whaley asked him to look at the roster instead. The reason for that is with new coaching staff and 2 new systems, the draft picks are valuable assets they need to tailor personnel to the new schemes. Teams would often rather trade a player than a draft pick. Unloading a player they didn't think fit or they felt they didn't need with the scheme changes was the better move to acquire a player who does fit. Chip initially requested Woods, the Bills didn't want to give him up, then they asked for Kiko, and the price was right.

In this D without Alonso the Bills are in a tough spot if they want to keep a LB on the field when teams spread them out.

I know people don't expect teams to repeat the Pats gameplan but the threat of this is precisely why teams use second round picks on guys like Alonso.

If your scheme doesn't fit a guy like that you might be limiting yourself.

The Bills are small at safety.....they are converted corners......and their LB's are not rangy in coverage so they lack that hybrid pass/run defender.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all......they did NEED Alonso last Sunday.

Bradham, Brown do not cover the pass well at all and the Pats designed a gameplan with that fact in mind.

Second.....McCoy was NOT an All Pro. In fact, he ran for a very pedestrian 4.2 ypa in 2014.

As for the injury prone label.....a guy who plays every defensive snap one season and then tears an ACL in the offseason is generally not considered "injury prone".

He tore an ACL.

Time will tell if it keeps happening again but we aren't talking about someone who is always getting hurt 8 different ways like Marquise Goodwin or is always getting concussions like Kevin Kolb, etc..

I didn't mind them adding McCoy on his pre-existing contract but like I said, he was going to be cut so they could have acquired him for a lot less than Alonso....who is an exceptional talent on a cheap contract.

And let's not forget that Nigel Bradham is a pending free agent and the teams salary cap situation is starting to get tight.

I get the "good players won't sign with Buffalo" losers mentality.....15 years of losing will do that to fans.....but they overpaid for those negotiating rights.

Kiko barely played against the Cowboys last Sunday before injuring his knee. I don't know how much he would have helped the Bills against the Pats. You could say that things might have been different in Buffalo, but it was bound to happen and that's why I called him "injury prone."

As for Shady, he is a 2-time All-Pro (2011 and 2013).

In this D without Alonso the Bills are in a tough spot if they want to keep a LB on the field when teams spread them out.

I know people don't expect teams to repeat the Pats gameplan but the threat of this is precisely why teams use second round picks on guys like Alonso.

If your scheme doesn't fit a guy like that you might be limiting yourself.

The Bills are small at safety.....they are converted corners......and their LB's are not rangy in coverage so they lack that hybrid pass/run defender.

apparently Rex disagrees. But what does he know about defense. I have no opinion because I feel the value of McCoy in the offense outweighs the 3rd LB in this scheme. But I wouldn't assume Kiko could successfully cover Gronk. Ryan Shazier is a similar type of LB but much faster and he couldn't do it. Edited by YoloinOhio

apparently Rex disagrees. But what does he know about defense. I have no opinion because I feel the value of McCoy in the offense outweighs the 3rd LB in this scheme. But I wouldn't assume Kiko could successfully cover Gronk. Ryan Shazier is a similar type of LB but much faster and he couldn't do it.

I am a Bills fan so I am used to being in disagreement with coaches that miss the playoffs. :thumbsup:

Your Ryan Shazier reference doesn't take into account the talent of the other 10 players on the Pittsburgh D.......which is far less than that of Buffalo. Shazier is injury prone so maybe that had something to do with it. :rolleyes:

Kiko barely played against the Cowboys last Sunday before injuring his knee. I don't know how much he would have helped the Bills against the Pats. You could say that things might have been different in Buffalo, but it was bound to happen and that's why I called him "injury prone."

As for Shady, he is a 2-time All-Pro (2011 and 2013).

4.2 ypc and a measly 5 TD on 300+ carries is nowhere near All-Pro RB production.

I think he still has the talent to be a top 10 RB.

I just think at this point in his career(and bank account) he isn't always interested in following his blocks into traffic.

Then when he bounces outside he has lost a step which is why he had the NFL's LOWEST yards-per-touch among players with 250 touches or more in 2014.

I'm not just expressing an opinion.....he really was nowhere near All Pro production last year.

Very interested to see if he goes back to running sideways now that the spotlight game is out of the way.

You guys are all missing the point about the McCoy trade, he was traded because Chip Kelly is a racist! It had nothing to do with anything else (scheme fit, contract, etc...). And the really brilliant aspect of the trade was that Doug Whaley had the last laugh because he traded Chip a Latino (Chip must not have known about Kiko's heritage when they were together at Oregon).

I'm not just expressing an opinion.....he really was nowhere near All Pro production last year.

Very interested to see if he goes back to running sideways now that the spotlight game is out of the way.

He finished 3rd in the league in total yards rushing. Yeah he was sooooooo far from All Pro production. :rolleyes:

4.2 ypc and a measly 5 TD on 300+ carries is nowhere near All-Pro RB production.

I just think at this point in his career(and bank account) he isn't always interested in following his blocks into traffic.

Then when he bounces outside he has lost a step which is why he had the NFL's LOWEST yards-per-touch among players with 250 touches or more in 2014.

Like GreggyT said, 3rd in the league in rushing. Behind an OL that people are now starting to acknowledge was made to look better at run-blocking because of Shady. Hell, "one-cut RB" DeMarco Murray is looking like a chump behind that OL and will be lucky to get to half of Shady's 1,319 yards from last season.

Like GreggyT said, 3rd in the league in rushing. Behind an OL that people are now starting to acknowledge was made to look better at run-blocking because of Shady. Hell, "one-cut RB" DeMarco Murray is looking like a chump behind that OL and will be lucky to get to half of Shady's 1,319 yards from last season.

That O-line might have looked better because of that All-Pro guard too.

That O-line might have looked better because of that All-Pro guard too.

Doubrful. There is a reason no one wanted Mathis after he was cut, and he had to settle for a 1-year $3.25M deal. And his play so far with the Broncos has been poor.

3rd in the league in rushing...4th in yards per game...4.2 ypc is his worst stat which looking at how Evans, herremans, and the rest of the Eagles line look seems to be a miracle.

Now trades are reviewed and judged after 2 games, or one-eighth of the NFL season? These things take at least one if not two seasons.

Well, at least there is progress, we've evolved a long way from the demonstrative visceral judgments that took place the week after the trade.

He finished 3rd in the league in total yards rushing. Yeah he was sooooooo far from All Pro production. :rolleyes:

He had the second most carries in the NFL by more than an entire game worth of carries so yeah he was a long way away from being as effective as the better backs in the NFL.

Like I said....lowest yards per touch of any of the 250 touch players in the NFL.

But hey......he ran 11 times for 16 yards today.......his second awful game out of three.......and he is still on pace for about 800 yards so that tells you how little overall rushing yardage matters.

So far they are paying $8M per year for a guy to provide a veteran presence. :lol:

Like I said.....I think he still has the talent to be very good but I think the desire to bang it up inside is gone and today wasn't a showcase national game like last week and his game coincidentally dropped like a rock.

Either that or the mileage has just caught up with him because the excuse for last year was that he was injured all year and he's been injured all this season too.

Shady = still nursing a bad hammy.

The thing is injuries and declining productivity are going to be a common occurance under this contract with McCoy. Basing it off of the marginal productivity of RB's in the NFL, wear and tear on his body, age, scheme/not a ground and pound back etc. We are seeing it already Rex's love for Williams style of running.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever