Taylor Review

Thurmal34

TT had several guys open, and I am not cherry picking as I was at a perfect view on the upper deck on the 35 yard line. The line did not give enough time, but the real problem was the defense.

They gave so much cushion even though playing 7 back. The whole game my cousins and brother were dumbfounded if they are not going to blitz, why not press? What were they afraid of? It couldn't have been worse with 500 yards.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod scored 5 touchdowns. How many QBs this year scored 5 in one game? Only on TBD is this problem.

I really don't understand why some folks are getting upset about the idea that he can improve.

There are areas where he didn't perform well, and the idea that he can become a better QB by fixing some of those deficiencies should, IMO, excite people; not upset them.

I really don't understand why some folks are getting upset about the idea that he can improve.

There are areas where he didn't perform well, and the idea that he can become a better QB by fixing some of those deficiencies should, IMO, excite people; not upset them.

You can find stuff to complain about in every game. Did Brady have a bad game because he overthrew his receivers on 4th downs?

My issue is that people get hung up on this stuff, and it grows into this oversized problem that clouds people's judgement. Yes, we lost and TT did some stuff wrong. But it's more likely we lost because of our D getting shredded and stupid penalties.

You can find stuff to complain about in every game. Did Brady have a bad game because he overthrew his receivers on 4th downs?

My issue is that people get hung up on this stuff, and it grows into this oversized problem that clouds people's judgement. Yes, we lost and TT did some stuff wrong. But it's more likely we lost because of our D getting shredded and stupid penalties.

I agree with most of what you're saying here. I guess where we differ is that I don't look at it as finding stuff to complain about; I believe it's simply an honest assessment of one of the contributing factors in the loss.

I think, if we're looking to mete out responsibility for the loss, I'd go in this order: 1) defensive scheme, 2) stupid penalties, 3) QB inconsistency

I agree with most of what you're saying here. I guess where we differ is that I don't look at it as finding stuff to complain about; I believe it's simply an honest assessment of one of the contributing factors in the loss.

I think, if we're looking to mete out responsibility for the loss, I'd go in this order: 1) defensive scheme, 2) stupid penalties, 3) QB inconsistency

Agreed

I'll add to these comments and say that the respective "bads" from each were different types of "bad". EJ's bad was meltdown bad. Unable to get himself to throw to an obviously-open WR, or even create any type of offensive play type bad. With Taylor, he did a lot of the classic breakdown stuff: breaking the pocket too early, walking himself into edge pressure that shouldn't otherwise get to him, failing to identify open targets in the middle of the field, and carelessness with the ball. What he did continue to do was keep his eyes down the field and look to make plays. I really think he'd have come out of his mid-game funk earlier if Harvin makes that sideline catch at midfield in the 3rd (and he should have...I am really unhappy with his effort--or lack thereof--on that play, as the ball was very well-placed), as that play alone showed me that he could regain his composure and throw a perfect pass when he needs to.

Did you watch that Houston game last year? I am an EJ fan, and I will tell you for certain that there were wide open receivers all day that game, and he simply didn't trust himself to get them the ball (save for the throw to Mike Williams on the busted coverage--which was a nice play). And despite what some may tell you, he did have time to do so on many occasions that day.

I watch the all-22 every week. Your statement about wide open receivers is totally false. The dude stood in the pocket strong, and delivered a number of balls with a shoulder in the gut. Gander at the all-22 those "open" receivers generally aren't open, but in zone coverage/being closed in on or appear open because the defender pulled off the receiver to pursue the play as EJ is delivering the ball elsewhere.

He doesn't get a pass for the game, but the guy played gutsy with some terrible protection.

I'm an EJ fan. I'm happy with TT. Not calling for a switch at all. But he deserves lots of criticism for this game against the pats.

Here's to TT progressing into our franchise guy. I'm pro bills not pro any guy on the roster, and we need a franchise guy bad!

I agree with most of this in principle. I'm really just trying to take an honest inventory for improvement. I used to be a career coach, so I'm constantly looking for ways to improve, not trying to be critical if that makes sense.

I'd agree with the defensive part against any other QB other than Brady. You go 3 and out 5 times in a row, and give him the ball on 3 turnovers, you're in a shoot out, and you'd be hard pressed to have even the 85 Bears help you stay dominant in a game like that. Now if we are playing Jax, that happens on offense, I expect the D to step up for us.

Penalties cost us huge, right up there with the offensive play. But haven't the last few Super Bowl teams been really high up on the list of penalties taken...one can dream right? Ha. But in all seriousness we have to get those under control.

I watch the all-22 every week. Your statement about wide open receivers is totally false. The dude stood in the pocket strong, and delivered a number of balls with a shoulder in the gut. Gander at the all-22 those "open" receivers generally aren't open, but in zone coverage/being closed in on or appear open because the defender pulled off the receiver to pursue the play as EJ is delivering the ball elsewhere.

He doesn't get a pass for the game, but the guy played gutsy with some terrible protection.

I'm an EJ fan. I'm happy with TT. Not calling for a switch at all. But he deserves lots of criticism for this game against the pats.

Here's to TT progressing into our franchise guy. I'm pro bills not pro any guy on the roster, and we need a franchise guy bad!

I agree with most of this in principle. I'm really just trying to take an honest inventory for improvement. I used to be a career coach, so I'm constantly looking for ways to improve, not trying to be critical if that makes sense.

I'd agree with the defensive part against any other QB other than Brady. You go 3 and out 5 times in a row, and give him the ball on 3 turnovers, you're in a shoot out, and you'd be hard pressed to have even the 85 Bears help you stay dominant in a game like that. Now if we are playing Jax, that happens on offense, I expect the D to step up for us.

Penalties cost us huge, right up there with the offensive play. But haven't the last few Super Bowl teams been really high up on the list of penalties taken...one can dream right? Ha. But in all seriousness we have to get those under control.

Suffice to say, I disagree with your assessment of EJ's Houston game. My look at the All-22 told me a much different story.

I don't have the write-up I did, but if you check out Jeremy's, it tells much the same story:

http://www.wgr550.com/JW-All-22-Review-Bills-Texans/20015538

Getting back on topic though, I too am encouraged by Taylor's play, and think that he's got potential to take this team to the playoffs.

I think the offense had 2 stretches of very poor play. I don't remember anyone saying that you should change your stance on that--not sure why you're getting defensive.

I also don't know why there seems to be a rush to marginalize what the offense has done up to this point...that, to me, is very odd.

Those two stretches started after the first scoring drive and IIRC all the way through the 3rd QTR.

I'm "getting defensive" because I have to repeat myself because of what might be a poor assumption or mild trolling. and because tone does not translate well in a forum.

I should be able to comment on what I think was a poor effort and not have it thought as an insult to TT. I also believe I have stated "the Offense" and not singled out the QB overmuch.

I'm behind TT as the #1, yet I still say it is too soon to make any long term assessment.

Tyrod scored 5 touchdowns. How many QBs this year scored 5 in one game? Only on TBD is this problem.

based on the scores I posted earlier ... quite a few.

14, 10, and 13 - Cheatriots

8, 21, and 14 - Steelers

14, 14, and 14 - Cardinals

last week

21, 14, and 7 - Titans Mariota

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Those two stretches started after the first scoring drive and IIRC all the way through the 3rd QTR

Except for the TD drive he lead in the 2nd quarter, as well as the series on which he threw the sideline pass that Harvin refused to reach for, which would've been a huge play that could've gotten them out of their offensive funk.

I'm "getting defensive" because I have to repeat myself because of what might be a poor assumption or mild trolling. and because tone does not translate well in a forum.

It's not trolling. People are offering their viewpoints.

I should be able to comment on what I think was a poor effort and not have it thought as an insult to TT. I also believe I have stated "the Offense" and not singled out the QB overmuch.

I find it odd that you are accusing others of this after the way you seemingly took every comment about EJ as an insult. The fact is that many folks on here agreed that Taylor had things that needed to be better.

Except for the TD drive he lead in the 2nd quarter, as well as the series on which he threw the sideline pass that Harvin refused to reach for, which would've been a huge play that could've gotten them out of their offensive funk.

It's not trolling. People are offering their viewpoints.

I find it odd that you are accusing others of this after the way you seemingly took every comment about EJ as an insult. The fact is that many folks on here agreed that Taylor had things that needed to be better.

I never said you specifically were trolling.

My bad I overlooked the TD in the 2nd qtr based on the punt, punt, INT, punt quote from above.

Lets not get to involved in an EJ discussion.

I will say that many people think we need more than 14 games to call EJ a good QB or a bust. Don't you think it premature to call TT a solid after 2 games? - Not to mention him having at least 2 coaches who know what the hell they are doing.

So, all in all good things have happened. I'd just like to see improvement on what has gone wrong. Again this does not mean I am only criticizing TT.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I agree with your order on #1 and #2. IMO number 3 should be offensive game plan and lack of adaptability. #4 QB mainly the stepping up into the pocket.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/9/23/9382025/tyrod-taylor-scouting-report-pocket-presence-bills-vs-patriots

If the Bills can't run the ball during the game like they said they would at the start of the season. Then the entire offense goes on the QB's shoulders to make plays, and Taylor is back into that offense that killed EJ last year.

Granted the offensive line is somewhat upgraded over last season at LG, and Incognito is playing so much better then expected. However, this year it looks like Wood, and Glenn have regressed badly, and Miller, Henderson aren't that good. Lets hope that the line plays better once Aaron Kromer is off his suspension.

The Bills need to focus on building that power run game, and keep pounding the ball even when its not working all that well to help keep the pressure off of the QB.

Edited by Nihilarian

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/9/23/9382025/tyrod-taylor-scouting-report-pocket-presence-bills-vs-patriots

If the Bills can't run the ball during the game like they said they would at the start of the season. Then the entire offense goes on the QB's shoulders to make plays, and Taylor is back into that offense that killed EJ last year.

Granted the offensive line is somewhat upgraded over last season at LG, and Incognito is playing so much better then expected. However, this year it looks like Wood, and Glenn have regressed badly, and Miller, Henderson aren't that good. Lets hope that the line plays better once Aaron Kromer is off his suspension.

The Bills need to focus on building that power run game, and keep pounding the ball even when its not working all that well to help keep the pressure off of the QB.

Power run=Karlos Williams... -Mcoy does his best work in space.... Tyrod needs to establish himself as a running theat before getting any respect as a passer.. No reason why we shouldn't win this one @MIA 31-17

Edited by #34fan