Will the refs let us win this game?

Estelle Getty

Can you please tell me A) What penalties were not deserved, and B) What penalties that werent deserved changed the outcome of the game?

You need to watch more football then.

Perfect example of special "New England Rules". NE player hits Bills kicker, raises both arms and uses both his hands to shove the kicker in upper body backward to the ground. The refs call running into kicker, 5 yards. Running into the kicker is unintentional contact , see penalty called against Bills in the Colts game. Raising both arms and shoving the kicker backwards on his backside is not just running into the kicker. Obvious intentional act. Roughing the kicker . 15 yards, automatic first down. The Bills don't kick it away and have the Pat's start in Bills territory, resulting in quick a NE score. This did not affect the outcome of the game and affect momentum of the game? Yes, the Bills got a lot of deserved penalties. But the timing of the calls against NE is just as important as the number. Timing is everything, and the Refs definitely play with special "NE rules" which favor NE.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the Sammy Watkins "Pushing off" PI call. That was a drive stopper in the first half. Total BS call.

That was a bad call, but how about the NO CALL the Bills got when Brady went to gronk and the Bills Defender was pulling BOTH his arms down before the ball got there?? See there are bad and missed calls ALL the time, the fact is this group of refs are flag happy!

Perfect example of special "New England Rules". NE player hits Bills kicker, raises both arms and uses both his hands to shove the kicker in upper body backward to the ground. The refs call running into kicker, 5 yards. Running into the kicker is unintentional contact , see penalty called against Bills in the Colts game. Raising both arms and shoving the kicker backwards on his backside is not just running into the kicker. Obvious intentional act. Roughing the kicker . 15 yards, automatic first down. The Bills don't kick it away and have the Pat's start in Bills territory, resulting in quick a NE score. This did not affect the outcome of the game and affect momentum of the game? Yes, the Bills got a lot of deserved penalties. But the timing of the calls against NE is just as important as the number. Timing is everything, and the Refs definitely play with special "NE rules" which favor NE.

Watch it again, he never pushed him, matter fact he wa trying to hold him up. it was a clear running into the kicker penalty.

What about the Sammy Watkins "Pushing off" PI call. That was a drive stopper in the first half. Total BS call. The defender slipped and Sammy barely touched him if at all.

That was the only bad one that they gave us a replay of. Horrible call.

No they do not. They had over 100 yards in penalties as well. Buffalo deserved what they got. Refs did not have any impact on the outcome. We got our butts handed to us on a silver platter. Blaming the refs is a cop out.

Carolina game has something against them in it.

I too can name gobs of games they won with BS involved.

Carolina game was actually a good call. Only thing that made it controversial was TB 's over the top whining and f - bombing the official because he had the nerve to not throw a flag on a failed Pats pass play.

You are completely wrong about Bradham. His hands did not get up and any contact there was seemed marginal and possibly initiated by the WR. I saw the same thing in other games at least 5 times yesterday with none of them called. I saw one, I think Thursday night hit the defender in the back of the head. No call.

I re-watched it right after the call, because I had the same initial reaction as you. There was contact and so the call was defensible.

We actually got away with one earlier when Hughes made more contact on a receiver.

Can you please tell me A) What penalties were not deserved, and B) What penalties that werent deserved changed the outcome of the game?

I don't know. Like the previous poster said 59 pass attempts, not one holding call. Give me a break. You honestly think they pick up the flag on the roughing the passer against Taylor if it was Brady that got hit? I am just so sick of seeing Brady & Manning on the positive end of borderline calls. These guys are good enough, they shouldn't need help from the ref. But every week they get it. Those 2 guys can't retire fast enough as far as I'm concerned. Sick of watching both of them.

The problem yesterday was that they showed few (if any) replays of those early key penalties, so it's tough to say whether they were good calls or not. In counterpose, I watched the Eagles-Boys game at 4:30 and they showed telestrater replays of each call.

In terms of clear BS calls, how about the AW taunting call? If that's taunting, Julian Edelman should be flagged after every punk ass catch he makes. Or making Seantrel leave the game on a key 3rd down despite no obvious distress? Or the unsportsmanlike on Rex? All just off the top of my head.

The problem yesterday was that they showed few (if any) replays of those early key penalties, so it's tough to say whether they were good calls or not. In counterpose, I watched the Eagles-Boys game at 4:30 and they showed telestrater replays of each call.

In terms of clear BS calls, how about the AW taunting call? If that's taunting, Julian Edelman should be flagged after every punk ass catch he makes. Or making Seantrel leave the game on a key 3rd down despite no obvious distress? Or the unsportsmanlike on Rex? All just off the top of my head.

They Tyrod no call - we scored a TD on that drive. no affect on game. We have no idea what AW said, Edelman can be saying all day, all day, or you cant cover me, which he proved to be accurate which happens a lot. AW Was out of control yesterday(Thankfully he is ok) but he needs to be benched with another performance like that.

You are correct though, the refs cost us this game, we would have beat the Pats with a different crew.

Edited by CountDorkula

They Tyrod no call - we scored a TD on that drive. no affect on game. We have no idea what AW said, Edelman can be saying all day, all day, or you cant cover me, which he proved to be accurate which happens a lot. AW Was out of control yesterday(Thankfully he is ok) but he needs to be benched with another performance like that.

You are correct though, the refs cost us this game, we would have beat the Pats with a different crew.

I didn't mention any Tyrod no call, so not sure what you're talking about. On the AW call, I seem to recall him being the one being pushed well after the whistle (I'll check again when I get home) which may have been why he was pissed, but once again, since CBS didn't bother to show a replay we'll probably never know for sure.

Would love to hear from someone later on the week who has the All 22 (and the time to watch it) what they think about some of the penalties we never got to see yesterday.

I re-watched it right after the call, because I had the same initial reaction as you. There was contact and so the call was defensible.

We actually got away with one earlier when Hughes made more contact on a receiver.

I just disagree. I get what you're saying but I see that play a lot and what happened there is not typically what triggers a call. I'd also point out that the contact was either mutual or initiated by the receiver, not Bradham.

I didn't mention any Tyrod no call, so not sure what you're talking about. On the AW call, I seem to recall him being the one being pushed well after the whistle (I'll check again when I get home) which may have been why he was pissed, but once again, since CBS didn't bother to show a replay we'll probably never know for sure.

Would love to hear from someone later on the week who has the All 22 (and the time to watch it) what they think about some of the penalties we never got to see yesterday.

I remember AW freaking out on the sideline and the announcers just said "oh man......so anyway Tom Brady....". What? How about "I wonder what happened that set him off like that, let's take a look at the replay to see if we can figure it out".

The announcers were weird yesterday. Why weren't they even interested in taking a look at some of the early penalties or unsportsmanlike flags?

Carolina game was actually a good call. Only thing that made it controversial was TB 's over the top whining and f - bombing the official because he had the nerve to not throw a flag on a failed Pats pass play.

Umm you obviously didnt see the game it was OBVIOUS it was at least illegal contact thus a 1st down and 1 more play for Brady. Those refs picked up the flag and said "our bad" it was crap but it happens to every team that one just happened be the last play of the game lol

-How about the block in the back on the punt return after the NE 3 and out in the first quarter with Bills up 7-0. Crowd gets quiet...never saw that penalty.. was it real?

-The challenge flag Rex threw clearly came on the field prior to the snap. Broke the momentum more and crowd got quieter.

-How about the offensive pass interference call on Sammy Watkins in second half when Bills were building momentum. Turned back a 20 yd gain.

-Defensive holding on Darby, extending drive when Bills were building momentum. No way thats holding....

-Not one holding call on Pats all day on 59 pass attempts!!

-Running into the kicker instead of roughing the kicker in key moment when Bills needed a break.

-All of the unsportsman like penalties could have been called either way or called once and let go. Bad officiating. Gave the momentum of the game to Pats.

-The Bradham call was icing on the cake. No way that call should be made without it being clear PI.

I know Pats fans will say look at penalty yards. Every year that STAT is close but its the penalties impact on the game. The Pats always get the key call when they need it to change the game. It wasn't just yesterday, its every game I can remember for a long time.

-How about the block in the back on the punt return after the NE 3 and out in the first quarter with Bills up 7-0. Crowd gets quiet...never saw that penalty.. was it real?

-The challenge flag Rex threw clearly came on the field prior to the snap. Broke the momentum more and crowd got quieter.

-How about the offensive pass interference call on Sammy Watkins in second half when Bills were building momentum. Turned back a 20 yd gain.

-Defensive holding on Darby, extending drive when Bills were building momentum. No way thats holding....

-Running into the kicker instead of roughing the kicker in key moment when Bills needed a break.

-All of the unsportsman like penalties could have been called either way or called once and let go. Bad officiating. Gave the momentum of the game to Pats.

-The Bradham call was icing on the cake. No way that call should be made without it being clear PI.

I know Pats fans will say look at penalty yards. Every year that STAT is close but its the penalties impact on the game. The Pats always get the key call when they need it to change the game. It wasn't just yesterday, its every game I can remember for a long time.

There is no stat for "penalties at crucial times". IF games are fixed, that's the way they would do it. I'm just saying.

So, we had a lot of bad penalties yesterday. There were also a ton of VERY Patriot friendly calls and no calls that really burned me.

The ones that stick out:

1. Marcel has a huge sack on Brady on a critical third down that would be a big momentum shift and get the ball back to our offense with good field position. Dareus comes completely free, Brady goes down immediately. Ref throws a ticky tack illegal contact flag on the far side of the field for a receiver Brady never even had a chance to see, because he was sacked before the penalty even happened. A huge stop on third and long becomes an automatic first down. Gentlemen, that is what's called a ref inserting themselves into a game. That is a situation where a good ref keeps the flag in his pocket with something that had nothing to do with the play.
  2. PI call against Percy Harvin. Don't get me wrong, we did get the 40 yard PI call on this one. The thing about this is where that flag came from. The back judge threw it in, very late. The official right in front of the play watched their CB blatantly tackle our WR before the ball was even close to getting there. There couldn't have been a more obvious call. He looked right at it, and he did not throw the flag.
  3. Missed personal foul on NE. On a punt, a NE blocker crushed one of our guys on their sideline with a late hit out of bounds, from behind. It was blatant, and there was a ref right there who saw the whole thing (easy to see from our section in the 300s with a good vantage point of the whole field). This is after they've already thrown two personal fouls on us. He doesn't throw the flag.

So, we had a lot of bad penalties yesterday. There were also a ton of VERY Patriot friendly calls and no calls that really burned me.

The ones that stick out:

1. Marcel has a huge sack on Brady on a critical third down that would be a big momentum shift and get the ball back to our offense with good field position. Dareus comes completely free, Brady goes down immediately. Ref throws a ticky tack illegal contact flag on the far side of the field for a receiver Brady never even had a chance to see, because he was sacked before the penalty even happened. A huge stop on third and long becomes an automatic first down. Gentlemen, that is what's called a ref inserting themselves into a game. That is a situation where a good ref keeps the flag in his pocket with something that had nothing to do with the play.
  2. PI call against Percy Harvin. Don't get me wrong, we did get the 40 yard PI call on this one. The thing about this is where that flag came from. The back judge threw it in, very late. The official right in front of the play watched their CB blatantly tackle our WR before the ball was even close to getting there. There couldn't have been a more obvious call. He looked right at it, and he did not throw the flag.
  3. Missed personal foul on NE. On a punt, a NE blocker crushed one of our guys on their sideline with a late hit out of bounds, from behind. It was blatant, and there was a ref right there who saw the whole thing (easy to see from our section in the 300s with a good vantage point of the whole field). This is after they've already thrown two personal fouls on us. He doesn't throw the flag.

There was also a blatant interference on Hughes vs. Gronk that went uncalled, and a terrible late hit on Gronk by Aaron Williams that went uncalled. I couldn't believe they didn't call him for a late on that play.

There was also a blatant interference on Hughes vs. Gronk that went uncalled, and a terrible late hit on Gronk by Aaron Williams that went uncalled. I couldn't believe they didn't call him for a late on that play.

I'd have to see those plays again. If you're talking about the Hughes one I think you are, I disagree. The one seam route where Hughes was matched up 1:1 with him with no help? Jerry started doing some patty cake with Gronk's hands slightly before the ball got there, but he mainly made a great play on the ball and swatted the ball out after Gronk had a fair chance to catch it. That is an amazing play by a defensive lineman in 1:1 coverage with possibly the best player in the NFL. As a Bills fan, I freaking LOVE that effort by Hughes on that. If I'm a ref, I give the benefit there to the d-lineman.

Unless you're referring to a different play, I think that was a hell of a job by Hughes. Way to many PI calls anymore on light hand to hand contact without grabbing anything. Was glad they kept themselves out of the game on that play.

A better question on this play though is WHY THE HELL is Jerry Hughes in 1:1 coverage with Gronk to begin with?? We rushed 4 all day, so why are there not defensive backs doubling the best player if we're not even blitzing? Made no sense, and it wasn't just this play. Gronk was in 1:1 mismatches all day long.

Edited by DC Greg

1. You didnt see it, watch it again.. again my dad who is half blind saw the block in the back.

2. The challenge flag was thrown on time, but the play is not reviewable

3. That was a bad call, it happens

4. your right pulling the guys shirt is no way holding. (really?)

5. there was 3 or 4 holding calls on the Pats O line... go back and look but not many.

6. It was running into the kicker, you dont get a different call just because you need a break.

7. There were a lot of unsportman like calls and I cant honestly break them all down for you. but the Bills were out of control early in this game.

8.sigh, that is PI all the time, you may hate how the rule is called but it is ALWAYS PI.

and amazingly you missed the obvious PI on the Bills against gronk when he was getting his armed pulled down before the ball was there, or that weak PI call on Fletcher (a god awful CB) hmm is it possible the refs just sucked both ways!?!

I'd have to see those plays again. If you're talking about the Hughes one I think you are, I disagree. The one seam route where Hughes was matched up 1:1 with him with no help? Jerry started doing some patty cake with Gronk's hands slightly before the ball got there, but he mainly made a great play on the ball and swatted the ball out after Gronk had a fair chance to catch it. That is an amazing play by a defensive lineman in 1:1 coverage with possibly the best player in the NFL. As a Bills fan, I freaking LOVE that effort by Hughes on that. If I'm a ref, I give the benefit there to the d-lineman.

Unless you're referring to a different play, I think that was a hell of a job by Hughes. Way to many PI calls anymore on light hand to hand contact without grabbing anything. Was glad they kept themselves out of the game on that play.

A better question on this play though is WHY THE HELL is Jerry Hughes in 1:1 coverage with Gronk to begin with?? We rushed 4 all day, so why are there not defensive backs doubling the best player if we're not even blitzing? Made no sense, and it wasn't just this play. Gronk was in 1:1 mismatches all day long.

You cant hit the receivers hands even patty cake like before the ball gets there its PI.