I hope Pats thinking like this - Andy Gresh

The lunkhead in the blue shirt and brown suit, Andy Gresh? Who is this guy (when he's not playing a lunkhead in the studio)? Can y'all help me identify the other talking heads here?

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/gresh-can-taylor-score-enough-bills-beat-patriots

(tan suit, blue shirt pundit): "How does Rex Ryan make this matchup different, if at all?"

Andy Gresh: "Honestly, I don't know how. He's got to think that maybe his defense is a little better than it was in New York, Mike, but the situation is the same. If the Patriots shut down the run, do we really think that TYROD TAYLOR (said with scorn) and this defense is gonna hold the Patriots to a point total the Bills are gonna be able to top? ABSOLUTELY NOT. He's in the exact same situation in a lot of ways that he was in New York, now he's just pandering to a fan base that's dumb enough to celebrate in September"

Well, Alllrighty then. I guess us Buffalo fan base is just dumb and dumber for celebrating a win and cheering on our team, and the words of a lunkhead who mentions the Bills QB as responsible for holding down the Patriots offensive point total, and who describes our defense as "maybe a little better than (2014 Jets)" just prove it. But it gets better.

(Dark Suit, white shirt pundit): "But the last 4 games have been decided by 3 points or less, and there's more talent on this Buffalo Team, Jeff. Do you expect the same or is it different?"

Jeff Howe: "Well, they're an elite NFL defense. And how does he make it different, it's going to be better, because Rex Ryan always makes everything better... He's got this team believing in their head coach, which I don't think they ever did with Mike Pettine, so....Tyrod Taylor, you know what, he played well. I don't think anybody expects Tyrod Taylor to light the world on fire, but he played well against the Colts, and you have to give him that, in a limited amount of work that we've seen so far. Who's to say that he can't come in and play efficiently against the Patriots, if the Patriots don't stop the run the way they didn't stop the run against Pittsburgh?"

OK, I'm torn. On the one hand, it's hard to respect the acumen of a sports writer who thinks Mike Pettine was the head coach of the Buffalo Bills last year. On the other, at least he's objective enough to recognize that the Pats were, in fact, not successful in shutting down Pittsburgh's offense, especially Pittsburgh's run.

Andy Gresh: (portentiously) "I think a little bit of the Tyrod Taylor history does precede him, and look, I'm with you, for what they asked him to do, he played OK. But can you ask him to do more? I don't think you can"

Hmmm, way to address the point that the Pats did not, in fact, shut down the running game effectively against Pittsburgh - 5.4 ypa on 25 attempts - or, for that matter, the passing game (38 attempts, 8 ypa), and if Big Ben and his receiver were in better sync and the FG kicker didn't miss twice, the Pats could be looking at 0-1 in the W-L column despite how sucky the Pitt D is.

At this point they cut to film clips and I can't tell who's saying what.

(whichever of them is "Mike"): Tyrod Taylor is a "6'1" Wildcat QB" (did V-Tech run the Wildcat? Has TT ever run the Wildcat?).

Gresh again: "You don't need the proverbial rocket arm, you to be accurate. Wide open throw right there and as the windows get smaller, I just don't have a lot of faith that he can make the kind of throws needed against better teams. Let's remember, they played Indy and Jonas Gray ran for 200 on Indy"

(I'm confused now. Are we arguing that because Indy gave up a lot of yards running while defending against Tom Brady in a game where he threw 2 picks, Indy has bad pass coverage? Or just that Indy's defense totally sucks all over despite any off-season efforts? What's the point?)

Pundit in Brown suit, white shirt: "Yeah, you know, Jeff, you were mentioning the run game. Listen, Bill Belichek does a great job, whatever your strength is, of taking it away. So if you do take away Lesean McCoy, do you think he (Taylor) can go up there and beat you with his arm?"

Jeff Howe: "That's what so great about this matchup, in that we don't know, did they (the Patriots) purposely try to leave holes - I don't want to say leave holes, because nobody wants to get gashed the way the Patriots did, but did they play with a lighter front because they wanted to anticipate the passing game of Pittsburgh a little more, and then do they completely reverse that against Buffalo, do they become that matchup team that they've been for so long? If they do become heavier up front and if they do protect the edge (stuff about how great Ninkovitch is usually)....Rex Ryan is going to make Tyrod Taylor and Lesean McCoy test the edge and if those openings start coming up the way they did against Pittsburgh, then it's more difficult to stop that efficient passing attack" (NB: the Pats did not shut down the Pitts. pass attack, if that was their priority)

Pundit in tan suit, blue shirt: "Andy, tell me about the Bills defense. Is it as good, as talented, as some of the defenses Rex had with the Jets? Look, I think the front four, probably more talented than Rex had with the Jets, but does this team have a Revis? Does this team have a Cromartie in his prime? (....) I don't know if the Bills secondary is close to what that secondary was"

Andy Gresh: "I'm kind of with you in that their ability to bring pressure, to generate pressure with four is probably better than what he had with the Jets, but you're right, there isn't that stud in the back end and you know (all this said while showing clips of Buff 2ndary covering Colts wideouts like blankets) , and we see 94 running up the field...(....) what exactly has he done to make the Buffalo defense that much better? (...) so yes, you have talented players, you have guys who can make plays, but are they going to be able to play as 11 to make those kind of plays, 'cuz you can get a blitz but as we've seen with Tom Brady, if you don't cover the slant route, he'll put it on a guy and deal with taking a hit in the chop"

I guess last year 3rd ranked D against pass didn't answer that? Or are we thinking Rex won't use the personnel as effectively?

Hopeful says:

I like this Jeff Howe guy. He can watch a game with clear eyes and call good things and bad, though he seems a little wishful thinking on the Pats D since if their goal was to shut down the Pitts passing attack and give up the run, they didn't quite achieve it to my eyes. But who is this pudgy bloviator Andy Gresh?

Anyway I hope the Pats are thinking like this, and if the Bills need some locker room fodder, Here Ya Go - especially you #94 Mario Williams and the B'lo 2ndary.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that we will see a lot of Heavy 2 (2 corners/9 in the box) that they didn't show against Pittsburgh, but I think TT can really hurt N.E. with his arm if they do this. Too much speed outside in one on ones.

This could be a 300yd passing week for T-Mobile...errr T-Airways.

boston writer ANDY GRESH CALLS BILLS FANS ""TOO DUMB TO KNOW BETTER,"" says were dumb to believe in this team..

lets get even louder! ...sunday chant "" as we beat the scum patriots!

There is SO MUCH irony in someone from Boston calling another fan base dumb. Without question they are the least educated fan base in the NFL.

who is he? why does anyone care?

/thread.

meet a seahawks fan ever?

A bunch and I am telling that the Pats fans are worse (same league though). None of them grew up playing the game or caring about the game. In the early 2000's they started following and now act as if they are experts. Next time you meet a Pats fan ask him to name all of the starting Pats QBs between their first Super Bowl and their last. They have never heard of Millen, Eason or Grogan. I lived there for 4 years in college ('99-'03) and it was embarrassing.

A bunch and I am telling that the Pats fans are worse (same league though). None of them grew up playing the game or caring about the game. In the early 2000's they started following and now act as if they are experts. Next time you meet a Pats fan ask him to name all of the starting Pats QBs between their first Super Bowl and their last. They have never heard of Millen, Eason or Grogan. I lived there for 4 years in college ('99-'03) and it was embarrassing.

There was a comedy gold thread here 2-3 years ago on how one TBD poster drank for free one night before a home Bills-Pats* game by betting them a drink that he could stump them on Pats* trivia (the main question being "who was your starting QB in the '85 SB vs the Bears). I kid you not.

boston writer ANDY GRESH CALLS BILLS FANS ""TOO DUMB TO KNOW BETTER,"" says were dumb to believe in this team..

lets get even louder! ...sunday chant "" as we beat the scum patriots!

People who think "The Deflator" refers to weight loss shouldn't be casually tossing around accusations of "TOO DUMB TO KNOW BETTER."

There was a comedy gold thread here 2-3 years ago on how one TBD poster drank for free one night before a home Bills-Pats* game by betting them a drink that he could stump them on Pats* trivia (the main question being "who was your starting QB in the '85 SB vs the Bears). I kid you not.

Ha ha, I 100% believe that.

I agree that we will see a lot of Heavy 2 (2 corners/9 in the box) that they didn't show against Pittsburgh, but I think TT can really hurt N.E. with his arm if they do this. Too much speed outside in one on ones.

This could be a 300yd passing week for T-Mobile...errr T-Airways.

Overall, I agree. I think they'll try to stack the box against us and dare Taylor to beat them with his arm, while trying to bait him into mistakes with deceptive coverage.

I also think he may start out running until we prove we can stop it.