Patriot Picks

billsfan_34

@SalSports: Patriots LOVE to run picks on DBs. Always have. But how's this not illegal? Edelman at bottom. Even uses shoulder http://t.co/eiD8Ev3t0v

We were talking about this in the shout box yesterday...here's the rule for Offensive Pass Interference http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

© Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

Actions that do not constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a receiver’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball or neither player is looking for the ball.

(b) Inadvertent touching of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

© Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the ball is clearly uncatchable by involved players.

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Note 2: Defensive players have as much right to the path of the ball as eligible offensive players.

Note 3: Pass interference for both teams ends when the pass is touched.

In fact, I raised that same point about Edelman doing a quick inside cross in front of his team mate who crosses to the right. Edelman is obviously trying to take the other CB out of the play. I see it as illegal but others disagree.

Their offense is literally predicated on pick plays. It is what they do. While all teams do it to some extent, to me at least it seems that the Pats** abuse the rules. To me this is another example of Belicheat deliberately coaching his offense to be over the edge on interpretation of the rules and daring the officials to call it, which they rarely do. I guess you could either call that smart coaching or inept officiating depending on your point of view.

We were talking about this in the shout box yesterday...here's the rule for Offensive Pass Interference http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

© Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

Actions that do not constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a receiver’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball or neither player is looking for the ball.

(b) Inadvertent touching of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

© Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the ball is clearly uncatchable by involved players.

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Note 2: Defensive players have as much right to the path of the ball as eligible offensive players.

Note 3: Pass interference for both teams ends when the pass is touched.

In fact, I raised that same point about Edelman doing a quick inside cross in front of his team mate who crosses to the right. Edelman is obviously trying to take the other CB out of the play. I see it as illegal but others disagree.

I think that little guy right there is how they get away with it. The player doing the pick is not going to be the intended target and the guy getting picked isn't looking for the ball, he's trying to make up the ground he lost getting picked.

I know you highlighted C but the defender hasn't established a position on the field if he is running. They need to be stationary for it to be OPI.

Edited by The Wiz

I think that little guy right there is how they get away with it. The player doing the pick is not going to be the intended target and the guy getting picked isn't looking for the ball, he's trying to make up the ground he lost getting picked.

I know you highlighted C but the defender hasn't established a position on the field if he is running. They need to be stationary for it to be OPI.

The problem is that it's not incidental contact, as we see in the gifs from Sal. Gronk and Edelman are intentionally contacting the defender. The refs are wrong to let it go.

On the flip side, if the defender sees it coming, he should have a clean hit on the receiver under the disguise of incidental contact. Easier said than done, obviously.

Their offense is literally predicated on pick plays. It is what they do. While all teams do it to some extent, to me at least it seems that the Pats** abuse the rules. To me this is another example of Belicheat deliberately coaching his offense to be over the edge on interpretation of the rules and daring the officials to call it, which they rarely do. I guess you could either call that smart coaching or inept officiating depending on your point of view.

Like how defensive PI was never called on Washington in SB XXVI.

Edited by Nanker

The problem is that it's not incidental contact, as we see in the gifs from Sal. Gronk and Edelman are intentionally contacting the defender. The refs are wrong to let it go.

On the flip side, if the defender sees it coming, he should have a clean hit on the receiver under the disguise of incidental contact. Easier said than done, obviously.

I agree it's not incidental but that could be how it is interpreted because the player is just "running his route" and happened to run into the defender. Also, I don't know if those picks being within the 5 yard cushion adds to the complexity of it or not.

I agree it's not incidental but that could be how it is interpreted because the player is just "running his route" and happened to run into the defender. Also, I don't know if those picks being within the 5 yard cushion adds to the complexity of it or not.

It probably does.

And speaking of...I saw so much contact inside/outside the 5 yard cushion last weekend in every game I watched that it's hard to believe the 5 yards means anything. It seems to be at the refs' discretion. Whatever they feel like calling.

The Bills need to be very physical with them inside that 5 yards and hope that the refs let them play.

It probably does.

And speaking of...I saw so much contact inside/outside the 5 yard cushion last weekend in every game I watched that it's hard to believe the 5 yards means anything. It seems to be at the refs' discretion. Whatever they feel like calling.

The Bills need to be very physical with them inside that 5 yards and hope that the refs let them play.

Contact is pretty typical anywhere on the field but I really don't see those picks being run more than a few yards out. I'm sure if a pick happened over the middle it would more likely be flagged but again, you never know if it's up to the refs.

They will run this stuff on almost every pass play. There will be times where Edelman has no one within 5 yards of him and we will be like wtf. His man was taken out by another WR or Gronk.

If they are running this stuff out of a twins set we could commit 3 to the coverage and just shell them. One inside, one outside, and one deep. Once the pick happens should be easy to see who takes who. If they don't go towards a pick then you keep your assignments with the safety and LB sorta double covering the inside player.

Even if they go twins both sides we have 5 to commit to the run/blitz plus the inside guys would also be in run support. Thoughts?

"There are two very important points to keep in mind when talking about legal versus illegal picks: within one yard of the line of scrimmage, anything goes—you can block the defender as much as you want and it doesn’t matter if the ball is in the air or not; but beyond that one-yard buffer it is illegal for an offensive player to initiate contact with a defender."

This will get US a flag for defensive holding. It happened last year to Nigel Bradham. Gronk ran 10 yards downfield, ran right into Bradham, Bradham got the penalty.

Id just like to point out that this happened again this past Sunday.

Edelman runs right at/over Darby, well before the ball is thrown, and we get the flag for Defensive holding. Negating a huge sack and drive stopper, and giving the Pats a 1st down.

Where as Sammy goes downfield, breaks the ankles of the DB with his Stop route, and gets flagged for Offensive Pass Interference even though he didnt touch/push him.

The whole thing is a !@#$ing joke.

Edited by DrDareustein