PFF ranks Taylor #32 starting QB

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Dean suggests that it would be more intelligent not to rank a QB who doesn't have meaningful NFL experience. This is true, but the media isn't about intelligence. It's about having an audience and making money. For them, having a controversial (or, even, an ill-informed) opinion is better than having no opinion at all.

And THAT'S why it is meaningless, and just doesn't matter.

So zero NFL anything trumps 4 years in the NFL?

Yes. The theory being I think that if you are in the league for 4 years and cannot get on the field, you are probably not very good. While high draft picks (higher than TT was drafted years earlier) that are good enough to start their first year are likely to be better. At least that's how I can rationalize their list.

Yes. The theory being I think that if you are in the league for 4 years and cannot get on the field, you are probably not very good. While high draft picks (higher than TT was drafted years earlier) that are good enough to start their first year are likely to be better. At least that's how I can rationalize their list.

So hype trumps experience. Blanket assumptions over individual situations. Edited by PromoTheRobot

So hype trumps experience. Blanket assumptions over individual situations.

Experience? Surely you don't mean game-time experience?

Listen, we get it. It's a "why does no one respect the Bills" thing. But there are millions of fans who think Jameis is better than Tyrod. I bet there's a sizable amount of personnel people around the NFL who think Jameis is better than Tyrod. It's just the way it is. They could all be wrong or right. No one knows yet.

The chances of a sixth round pick are 1%.

This might be true, but how many 6th rounders ever really get a fair shake? OTH, a first round pick is going to be given every opportunity, and then some (except for EJ, of course). If sixth rounders were given the same opportunities as 1st rounders, I think more of them would succeed. Hopefully, TT will be a case in point.

So hype trumps experience. Blanket assumptions over individual situations.

Experience? Surely you don't mean game-time experience?

Listen, we get it. It's a "why does no one respect the Bills" thing. But there are millions of fans who think Jameis is better than Tyrod. I bet there's a sizable amount of personnel people around the NFL who think Jameis is better than Tyrod. It's just the way it is. They could all be wrong or right. No one knows yet.

Exactly. TT has essentially no experience either other than being 4 years older and holding the clipboard for Flacco. Hopefully TT learned a lot from Flacco and we see some of that Sunday. But the truth is, the last time TT started a football game of any kind that mattered was in 2011, and it was also in college. Most, myself included, think Winston is considerably more talented than Taylor. But I personally am hoping those 4 years of seasoning allow Taylor to perform to the best of his abilities Sunday. We will see.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I'm good with it, he's 32 until he proves otherwise. He will prove otherwise.

top 10 by the end of the season is my prediction.

Exactly. TT has essentially no experience either other than being 4 years older and holding the clipboard for Flacco. Hopefully TT learned a lot from Flacco and we see some of that Sunday. But the truth is, the last time TT started a football game of any kind that mattered was in 2011. Most, myself included, think Winston is considerably more talented than Taylor. But I personally am hoping those 4 years of seasoning allow Taylor to perform to the best of his abilities Sunday. We will see.

same thing could be said about T. Romo before his NFL chance. And he was an undrafted guy out of a small school. Not a guy who broke M. Vick's records at VT and got to learn from a very smart QB in Flaco.

The chances of a sixth round pick are 1%.

This might be true, but how many 6th rounders ever really get a fair shake? OTH, a first round pick is going to be given every opportunity, and then some (except for EJ, of course). If sixth rounders were given the same opportunities as 1st rounders, I think more of them would succeed. Hopefully, TT will be a case in point.

Just to be clear: Let's assume KtD's stats are correct, and only 1% of the QBs picked in the 6th round are successful in the NFL (by some agreed-upon measure of "successful"). One might reasonably make the case that, any random QB picked in the 6th round has a chance to be successful, based on past experience. But that means very little when it comes to the chances of a SPECIFIC QB picked in the 6th round.

Also, there isn't necessarily a causal implication between "round 6" and "success". But mannc makes a decent point. There might indeed be some causal connection if "round 6" also means, fewer opportunities, less coaching, etc.

From a practical standpoint, QBs who look ready (or like they have the potential to be ready in a reasonable amount of time) for the NFL, rarely last the 3rd round. Indeed, most of them get swiped up earlier. But I think, with the right resources and mind set*, more later round QB prospects could achieve some success in the NFL.

*This refers to the drafting organization, but probably also extends to the player himself.

Edited by The Dean

top 10 by the end of the season is my prediction.

same thing could be said about T. Romo before his NFL chance. And he was an undrafted guy out of a small school. Not a guy who broke M. Vick's records at VT and got to learn from a very smart QB in Flaco.

Yup, could happen here as well. But is that where the smart money is?