1st String O line immensely improved but NO DEPTH!

ScrewyLouie

Kujo is developing, and Urbik is a dependable backup that can handle all three interior positions—there is great value in that.

I would still like to see one other up-and-coming young lineman on the roster. We were hoping Richardson would be that guy, but apparently not (is he practice squad material?). And to think, how many games did he start last year? Wow, we have gotten better on the line!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with what people have said on Kujo. There was one particular play I noticed where they tried a stunt play Kujo identified and blocked his guy and Richardson completely whiffed and ended up trying to shield the same guy whilst another defender raced through the gap and stopped the back for no gain. To see it once it might have looked like Kujo's fault but it definitely wasn't. Richardson hadn't a clue what he was doing. If Kujo is playing with 4 of the starters I think based on pre-season he would be serviceable. He has been the best backup lineman in ever game IMO.

What do you do when you can't complain about the starting OL anymore?

Start whinging about the backups.

For a team that has had a crap roster for over a decade, I'm constantly surprised at the unrealistic fan expectations for total perfection.

Disappointed with the lack of OG-C 'talent' available in the final cuts. I was hoping for an upgrade on Urbik / Freeman but it appears that's not going to happen.

It always strikes me as odd how little depth teams carry at O-line relative to D-line. Right now, we have one swing tackle, one backup G/C and a Jets castoff who's a complete unknown....

Disappointed with the lack of OG-C 'talent' available in the final cuts. I was hoping for an upgrade on Urbik / Freeman but it appears that's not going to happen.

It always strikes me as odd how little depth teams carry at O-line relative to D-line. Right now, we have one swing tackle, one backup G/C and a Jets castoff who's a complete unknown....

you aren't upgrading Urbik with final cuts.

Forget depth, I'm still worried about the starters.

Henderson wasn't very good last year. Wood and Glenn both seemed to have off years. Richie didn't even play ball. Miller is a rookie.

Yep, we have a new OL coach, new OC, etc. And certainly these 5 linemen seem to have potential.

But I've been guilty of wishful thinking too often in my years of Bills fandom. Until these guys show it on the field, I'm worried.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Kujo is still young, so using him as a backup while developing works for me. Now, a must have been really bad last year not to get a shot at all, unless , of course, he was just in DM's doghouse......and, probabily rightfully so. But, based on the outcome of Richardson getting cut and Kujo sticking it out with the new staff, I think DM had it wrong. At the very least, Richardson should not have gotten the shot he did it appears, I think there is a lot risk to the season in the OL, but, the plan looks OK. An injury would hurt big time.

Edited by bigK14094

Bills have to pray nobody on the offensive line gets hurt. Kujo and Cyril Richardson are totally useless. If they're lucky maybe the Bills can find an offensive lineman or two on the waiver wire. Kujo is definitely a bust. I can't believe Whaley took this guy in the 2nd round. WOW what a mistake that was. RIchardson doesn't look a whole lot better either. NO DEPTH on the O line.

The other area I see with absolutely no depth is corner. I think the Bills will eventually be forced to move Graham back to corner. Ron Brooks is a good special teams guy but he stinks at corner. He couldn't cover me. I have a feeling McLovin will be out most of the year so you can't count on him. Injury was a lot worse than the Bills thought.

IMO the expanded practice squad is most helpful in regard to saving 53 man roster spots for the OL.

Often that 8th(or 9th) OL is THE WORST football player on the team.

You can have guys on the PS who can do that guys job just as good(or badly might be more appropriate) and I don't think that's the case at other positions.

I can see them carrying and dressing just 7 and having at least 3 on the PS.

I liked Hairston

Me too. Did his playing regress, or did the coaches just not value his contribution?

Henderson wasn't very good last year. Wood and Glenn both seemed to have off years. Richie didn't even play ball. Miller is a rookie.

Yep, we have a new OL coach, new OC, etc. And certainly these 5 linemen seem to have potential.

But I've been guilty of wishful thinking too often in my years of Bills fandom. Until these guys show it on the field, I'm worried.

I'm not willing to give Wood and Glen a total pass, but the entire line has to work as a unit. The two guards were abysmal! That kind of throws off the unit and certainly hurts Wood the most. Henderson was a raw rookie working next to a bum. So let's see how shoring up the G-spot works out. :rolleyes:

So far, Incognito looks to be playing better than his last stint in Buffalo.

Doug Legursky is available! :lol:

and in a real game! Pre season doesn't mean much to me. We will find out once the season starts as to how good those starters are going to be. Not like they need to be great holding their blocks for very long with a scrambler for a QB. They will need to improve in the run game if they want to have success this year.

That first game against Carolina I saw Shady trying to bounce it outside like Spiller used to do, and not much will work on the offense if that run game doesn't get going.

Roman's play-design and play-calling should make the line look good kind of like Gailey's offense made the OL back then look good when it wasn't really.

The Indy game will be interesting for a lot of reasons. Many new players. Many new coaches. New offensive and defensive schemes. At this point, we're all full of hope but nothing is a given.

I think some people have to remember that there's 160 OL starting spots. There's not even enough good OL in the NFL to fill those spots.

You're fortunate if you have 5 starting calibre players. If you have 2 capable backups to play G/T, you're blessed. Adding Ikard to play C, I think we have one of the deepest OL's in the league.

Adding Ikard to play C, I think we have one of the deepest OL's in the league.

I like Ikard's intangibles but he's yet to prove a thing at the NFL level. To be honest, the same could be said of Miller.

It will be a 'hold your breath' first half of the season, IMO...

I have been watching Kujo pretty closely in these pre season games.....he is much improved over last year. I was worried there for a while when he couldnt even get on the field under Marrone.

Urbick is a veteran OG and in spot duty I think he will be fine.

Any team that takes a ton of injuries is going to be in trouble no matter what.