Fred Says Whaley Dishonest With Him

And let's not forget that Whaley got up on Monday and delivered quite a performance at the press conference. If what Fred is saying is correct, Whaley felt inclined to appear saddened over the decision, yet knew all along what he wanted to do. I guess if this football thing doesn't work out he can try some casting calls in Hollywood.

it is possible he knew he needed to cut him, and it also saddens him. As an NFL GM, he has to make tough decisions and can't decide not to cut someone because it will make him sad.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy that he went rogue.

I think he wanted Jackson cut and he got everyone to bless it before it happened, including Pegula.

I can't believe that Whaley would be able to make a decision such as this without it being something that Pegula and Ryan were okay with. The reaction of the fans and the fact that he is a viable number 2 back and veteran make it unlikely Whaley would have acted on his own. I think it was not the best decision as I don't feel any of the younger backs are proven and the road to the Superbowl for us calls for a playoff run this year and I think Jackson would have been on on the field running, blocking and passing back who would have been a proven alternative if the injured McCoy has problems. That being said, Whaley, Pegula and especially Ryan have seen a lot more of the situation than I have and I'll have to go with their judgment. Wishing Freddie the best on and off the field.

I agree with all of that. It is just a learning experience for all involved. Moving forward I am sure that the sponsor and marketing departments will be a little more cautious when putting this stuff together. As an example Watkins will almost certainly be here for a little while. There is a SMALL chance that Mario won't. Just be careful on the front end...

i know I'm jumping into this thread but isn't it the corp's job to launch the campaign once they know the player is safe from cuts? They only had to wait another few days.

I agree with all of that. It is just a learning experience for all involved. Moving forward I am sure that the sponsor and marketing departments will be a little more cautious when putting this stuff together. As an example Watkins will almost certainly be here for a little while. There is a SMALL chance that Mario won't. Just be careful on the front end...

gotcha - and i was adding an edit to include similar sentiment as an option. thanks for being quick to always share insight!

I can't believe that Whaley would be able to make a decision such as this without it being something that Pegula and Ryan were okay with. The reaction of the fans and the fact that he is a viable number 2 back and veteran make it unlikely Whaley would have acted on his own. I think it was not the best decision as I don't feel any of the younger backs are proven and the road to the Superbowl for us calls for a playoff run this year and I think Jackson would have been on on the field running, blocking and passing back who would have been a proven alternative if the injured McCoy has problems. That being said, Whaley, Pegula and especially Ryan have seen a lot more of the situation than I have and I'll have to go with their judgment. Wishing Freddie the best on and off the field.

though I love Fred, he wasn't a suitable replacement for McCoy if he went down, IMO.

i don't see how they look bad. He said they consulted them, they signed off on it, whatever the heck "rogue" means we do not know but my guess is Rex wanted to try to keep him and Whaley didn't find a way.

No. I like how people pick their own narrative back in March it was evident that Rex wanted to replace him. Now people want to forget that didn't happen? I am not thrilled by the move either but to dismiss Rex from culpability seems a little naive.

i know I'm jumping into this thread but isn't it the corp's job to launch the campaign once they know the player is safe from cuts? They only had to wait another few days.

and i think kirby is simply saying the marketing department should help steer decisions by being candid about things like player mobility, and typical cut off dates for things that could happen so the sponsor can make an educated decision...

:lol:

We've reached a level of nuttiness here the past two days I don't recall ever seeing on this board.

Fire Whaley and 'rehire' FJ. Presumably with a public apology. Wow.

I think there is a bit of confusion, that comment about Firing Whaley and rehiring FJ wasn't serious. It was a hypothetical to the situation of a GM going rogue and doing things without informing the owner. I don't actually believe Whaley went rogue.

Yet at the Ryan introduction presser, Pegula/Whaley/Ryan clearly laid out the roles and all said and agreed that Whaley is in charge of the 53 man roster, and Ryan is in charge of the gameday roster.

I doubt that any of them were happy about having to cut Freddy, but it's something that had to happen, and it's Whaley's job and responsibility to do so.

You dont hire someone to do a job and then second guess every move and/or make them clear everything with you first. That's micro-managing. That is being a meddling owner. That's a horrible way to run a business, especially one this size.

No. I like how people pick their own narrative back in March it was evident that Rex wanted to replace him. Now people want to forget that didn't happen? I am not thrilled by the move either but to dismiss Rex from culpability seems a little naive.

the bilal powell rumors back then sure did make it seem like rex was ok exploring options. someone mentioned it earlier, but doug might be taking some extra heat to let rex be the player favorite with the season so close.

I fully understand the notion that Whaley is the GM and obviously makes the personnel decisions but I just find it impossible to believe that Whaley would cut a player like Fred Jackson without someone else's blessing. For Christ's sake we had threads on here not that long ago talking about retiring Fred Jackson's number. Cutting Fred Jackson is more than just another personnel decision for Whaley and that's a fact. I have no idea what "rogue" means here b/c there is absolutely no scenario I can imagine where Whaley makes the call on Fred w/o substantial internal discussions with coaches and ownership. I honestly have no idea what to think of this situation so far and I guess I'll wait and see how this develops.

In my personal pointless opinion: By "rogue" Im guessing that Rex wanted to keep Freddy and possibly was under the impression that he was going to be kept and then Whaley goes ahead and cuts Freddy as opposed to someone else that had been discussed - but even this scenario seems kinda crazy just b/c it's Fred Jackson we're talking about. It was only a couple of months ago that Rex was quoted as saying Bryce Brown better fix his fumbling problem or else he won't be touching the ball much, so I can't imagine for the life of me that Rex would rather have Bryce Brown than Fred Jackson.

Man the Bills would've been awesome this year on Hard Knocks lol.

What was so awesome about him? He got hurt early in camp. He came back had 40 yard + run on the first play of scrimmage from a hole so big I could of ran thru & then carried the ball 5 more times for a whopping total of 8 yards. I know it is hard, I know he is a good guy & a great community leader but Jackson was shot guys. He is delussional if he thinks he is going to play 3 more years. This year he would of been the third/4th back, would of been fighting thru nagging injuries all year & probably would not of dressed most of the games since he doesn't contribute on special teams like the other rbs do. I mean if you really look at all the angles, this cut actually makes a ton of sense.

How can you say he's shot? He had over 1200 yards from scrimmage and over 60 catches? Plus he's a helluva blocker!!!!

Don't look at his age and assume he is shot. Good lord!!!!!

Maybe thats because Jackson has had ONE season where he played in all 16 games and that was way back in 2011. Doesn't matter if you are talented, if you can't stay on the field then you can't help the team. And its not like at 34 he was going to get MORE durable. I had a feeling once he got hurt in preseason his time was up here.

I love Fred as much as the next person here...yes, I would love to see him stay here and finish his career. But I also want to field the best team and position ourselves the best moving forward...and keeping a very old RB (by RB standards) who can't stay healthy with a decent size price tag over younger guys with more upside isn't the best decision if you ignore the name on the back of the jersey. As a GM, or head of a company, you have to be able to make the tough decisions when they are the right decisions. Especially considering we have big pieces to resign also.

To me, Whaley has earned his spot and is one of the top GM's in the league. He has completely turned this roster around and accumulated what very well may be the most talented overall roster in the NFL. If we had a proven QB, we would be the NFL favorites to rep the AFC in the Super Bowl. Speaking of which, I was in Vegas 2 weeks ago, and the Bills, who opened at 22/1 to win the AFC, were at 7/1 and the the 4th AFC favorite to make it to the SB...and that was the day after the Thursday night game when we still had no idea who the QB was.

How anyone can be mad at Whaley for having the guts to make the tough decisions is surprising. I wish Fred all the best, and I assume he feels Whaley was dishonest because at some point I am sure Whaley told him that he wants him here. And of course Whaley said that, and he probably did want Fred here, just not at the expense of a bad football decision. Father Time has never missed an appointment Fred...we love you and look forward to facing you in the Super Bowl.

I fully understand the notion that Whaley is the GM and obviously makes the personnel decisions but I just find it impossible to believe that Whaley would cut a player like Fred Jackson without someone else's blessing. For Christ's sake we had threads on here not that long ago talking about retiring Fred Jackson's number. Cutting Fred Jackson is more than just another personnel decision for Whaley and that's a fact. I have no idea what "rogue" means here b/c there is absolutely no scenario I can imagine where Whaley makes the call on Fred w/o substantial internal discussions with coaches and ownership. I honestly have no idea what to think of this situation so far and I guess I'll wait and see how this develops.

In my personal pointless opinion: By "rogue" Im guessing that Rex wanted to keep Freddy and possibly was under the impression that he was going to be kept and then Whaley goes ahead and cuts Freddy as opposed to someone else that had been discussed - but even this scenario seems kinda crazy just b/c it's Fred Jackson we're talking about. It was only a couple of months ago that Rex was quoted as saying Bryce Brown better fix his fumbling problem or else he won't be touching the ball much, so I can't imagine for the life of me that Rex would rather have Bryce Brown than Fred Jackson.

Man the Bills would've been awesome this year on Hard Knocks lol.

Oh Man! It would probably be the best season of Hard Knocks yet. So much drama and storyline this year! Too bad they missed out on it. The Texans are so boring.

well someone wanted him - Roman?

@SalSports: Source tells me Whaley absolutely did talk to Pegulas before Fred was cut; it was some members of coaching staff not in agreement.

@SalSports: From same source: Pegulas signed off on the move after conversation with Whaley. Again, some coaches were not on board with the move.

@ByTimGraham: There are a lot of key people in football operations, coaching staff and administration who were left out.

@ByTimGraham: Whaley made a decision many important people didn't know was coming.

Edited by jmc12290