Edit: now confirmed rumor that Bills will release Cassel

eball

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ground and pound with Matt Simms? That is unless he didn't get run over by a truck and all the RBs don't tear knee ligaments, of course.

i think this is definitely a situation where if we keep cassel, he should be forced to be completely separate from the other 2, just in case something happens. you know, like keeping the POTUS and VP apart in case of disaster. maybe make him drive to road games, warm up in the corner by himself. maybe give him his own locker in a utility closet.

(and clearly im just joking here, for those that seem uptight with this)

Edited by NoSaint

Alright, but if Tyrod had not played exceptionally well, EJ would have won the competition and most everyone would have been pleased with his marked improvement.

It may be a matter of semantics, but I think it's better to say Taylor won rather than EJ lost. I think this is more accurate because EJ's performance in the pre-season games was exemplary. He could not have played much better.

We agree.

I'm standing by the idea that they are willing to trade EJ for the right price, or cut Cassel when the next deadline hits.

Listen to Doug Whaley on John Murphy Show. He said the plan was to let EJ sit and learn behind veteran. He sees the development in EJ. I believe this will be EJs team next year. If Taylor is what everybody expects, yet they see EJ improving who's a better trade option? The guy who took a team to the playoffs or a backup?

How is that BS? He lost out on the job to a guy who has thrown less than 40 career passes. What he said is factually correct.

NEW COACHES WANT NEW PEOPLE!!! You guessed right with TT being the favorite. What was it people have been saying for some time? Rex's wanted TT BEFORE camp started?

TT is the starter week1. That is all we know for now.

You guessed right with TT being the favorite. Was he Rex's favorite BEFORE camp started? .

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Extatic? Look, you guys need to put away your jump to conclusions mats for a second. Cassel was better than Manuel throughout camp according to everyone. Did EJ look great against Pittsburgh? Absolutely. Was that enough to convince the coaches that he can translate that play to the regular season and that Cassel- who only played FOUR SERIES and didn't even look that bad himself- is expendable? I guess we'll see.

He's averaging a pathetic 5.5 YPA in preseason and has been totally outplayed by two guys with less than a collective season under their belt. He couldn't even lead a TD drive in preseason with an offense that averaged 26 ppg.

4 organizations have now said "no thanks" regarding his starting QB services. His last 4 seasons he's been one of the worst in the NFL. I don't care how well he gets his check downs out in practice. He stinks and this season would be a dumpster fire if he were the fall back plan.

Yes we should all be Ecstatic our bills saw it before wasting a season on him.

I really do believe this is the best move...

Cassel was brought in as vet insurance...TT and EJ are both young and relatively inexperienced...But the way the two young QB's have played Cassel is simply not needed anymore...I think removing him from this whole equation is smart...TT and EJ are the future and the future is clearly now...It's nothing against Cassel...The two young guys just got better... B-)

^^^ this is what I billieve also

if the coaching staff disagrees, they disagree though. we dont know that, but if they cut him it would seem pretty telling that it would be the case. im discussing this purely in a hypothetical that cassel is at 3 though (or completely even with EJ too, i suppose)

i dont see how anyone could put cassel substantially higher than EJ at this point though. maybe that youd pick cassel between the two if forced to choose.... but a wide gap?

I do think EJ is better.

But, can anyone honestly say that if EJ came onto the field they would know what kind of play to expect from him?

He looks a lot better in preseason, no question. Still some accuracy inconsistencies but a lot better.

The one thing that potentially makes Cassel an asset is that you know exactly what you're getting.

I just think we have too good a chance to make the playoffs to release the only known commodity at QB.

Edited by Aaron

I would definitely say that, Metz, being the individual Bills fan that I am...

I'm also not afraid to say that Meh is just as good as EJ right now, arguably slightly better, but with less potential...obviously.

OK that's fair. Do you see what I'm saying though about a double standard round these parts? Bills fans are quick to mock and make up dopey nicknames for other QB's who have been in the league for a short period of time and haven't had their chance to develop, haven't had weapons at their disposal or exemplary coaching, yet will defend certain Bills QB's who I'm sure other teams' message boards mock just the same. Take Geno Smith and EJ Manuel for example. Just be objective is what I'm asking. But I do understand your point was ion regards to how good they might be right now vs. potential.

I really hope MC is let go. I do not want the coaches to even consider yanking out the young guys when things start going poorly. Let them play through it and gain knowledge. Having an OLD vet QB is like having cake sitting on table when your on a diet. You are just looking for a reason to eat it even though it's bad for you.

NEW COACHES WANT NEW PEOPLE!!! You guessed right with TT being the favorite. What was it people have been saying for some time? Rex's wanted TT BEFORE camp started?

TT is the starter week1. That is all we know for now.

You guessed right with TT being the favorite. Was he Rex's favorite BEFORE camp started? .

Oh is that your new rhetoric? a) That I winged it on Taylor before the Pittsburgh game and b) That Taylor only won the job because he was Ryan's guy all along?