QB Tyrod Taylor to start Week 1

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully, he'll be fast enough to make the defenders miss all season. The AFC is no joke when it comes to defenses.

I'm giving Taylor four games to begin to establish himself as a solid starting QB before I would start calling for them to consider putting in Manuel. I think that's fair and I said as much if they decided to start Manuel. These are two guys who've been in the league long enough to not be allowed a whole season of not playing well.

Taylor has 35 career passes but 14 games isn't enough for EJ? I don't get it? Taylor is going to be the guy barring an injury. They are not going to just shuffle guys in and out.

There is a big difference between pulling a guy if he just isn't effective (assuming the rest of the team is playing well) and giving up on him completely. I think we all need to see TT play well against #1 defenses, game planning to face him. And I believe he can handle that. But if shows he is lost, or not ready, then I think they pull the plug on him, just as teams do with most any QB in that situation. How many games does he get? I think it depends on how good he plays when he is good, and how bad he plays, or lost he looks, if/when he struggles and whether his play can be seen as "losing" games that were otherwise very winnable.

But even if that happens to TT, you don't give up on him, and assume he'll NEVER be a good QB because of what you saw in those few games. That was what was done (by many) to EJ, and quite frankly is the treatment many young QBs get in the NFL (particularly those playing on otherwise bad offenses).

I can say I won't be surprised if TT gets dinged up, though. He seems to be pretty good at avoiding the big hits, but all it takes is one big blindside blast. The more often he exposes himself, the greater the odds of that happening. Obviously hope it does not. But I hope the Bills have someone like EJ ready in case they need a starter---as that isn't the role for Cassel on this team, IMO.

As much as I can't get behind Shake's rants here, I do understand not quite trusting Rex, especially with offensive decisions. I really hope this was a team decision and that Roman was fully on-board. As a HC I haven't held Rex in very high esteem. And as an offensive mind--well, I don't think he has one. But so far, the team is looking better under his watch, so I am beginning to trust him a bit more. Hopefully, before long, I'll be a "Rex guy" like so many here. I would so love to be wrong about him.

The worst part about TT getting the starting nod is that every time the Bills lose a game or Tyrod has a bad day, Jim Jones and his cult of EJ fanatics will be drinking cyanide and proclaiming that the Bills would be undefeated with EJ or something of a similarly ludicrous nature.

Where are these hordes of EJ fanatics you are worried about. I count maybe three?

There is a big difference between pulling a guy if he just isn't effective (assuming the rest of the team is playing well) and giving up on him completely. I think we all need to see TT play well against #1 defenses, game planning to face him. And I believe he can handle that. But if shows he is lost, or not ready, then I think they pull the plug on him, just as teams do with most any QB in that situation. How many games does he get? I think it depends on how good he plays when he is good, and how bad he plays, or lost he looks, if/when he struggles and whether his play can be seen as "losing" games that were otherwise very winnable.

But even if that happens to TT, you don't give up on him, and assume he'll NEVER be a good QB because of what you saw in those few games. That was what was done (by many) to EJ, and quite frankly is the treatment many young QBs get in the NFL (particularly those playing on otherwise bad offenses).

I can say I won't be surprised if TT gets dinged up, though. He seems to be pretty good at avoiding the big hits, but all it takes is one big blindside blast. The more often he exposes himself, the greater the odds of that happening. Obviously hope it does not. But I hope the Bills have someone like EJ ready in case they need a starter---as that isn't the role for Cassel on this team, IMO.

As much as I can't get behind Shake's rants here, I do understand not quite trusting Rex, especially with offensive decisions. I really hope this was a team decision and that Roman was fully on-board. As a HC I haven't held Rex in very high esteem. And as an offensive mind--well, I don't think he has one. But so far, the team is looking better under his watch, so I am beginning to trust him a bit more. Hopefully, before long, I'll be a "Rex guy" like so many here. I would so love to be wrong about him.

Where are these hordes of EJ fanatics you are worried about. I count maybe three?

Phew...less body bags. I am kidding - just taking an equally strong stance as I have seen some take on here.

In reality, I think the coaches made a well thought out, well informed decision. I support what I've seen from the process and the outcomes. That doesn't mean they will ultimately be correct. TT could bomb. EJ could have been great this year. It's impossible to know. All we can do is hope these guys making the decisions used all available information and did what they think is best for the team. I am confident they did that.

Tyrod's touchdown run against the Steelers, where he split the defenders at the goal line...if he keeps that up, he will get killed. I am excited to watch him, but I expect the backup to start a game or 2 at least.

If the Bills start 0-3 (all crucial AFC/division games), and they are having trouble scoring....time for the backup. Of course, the season would probably be screwed by then anyway.

I think Tyrod is going to light it up early though. I more expecting troubles later, after teams have more film of him.

FIFY. Still not huge but more like a Strong Safety than RGIII or Vick - both of them are sub-200 lb.

Google Tyrod Taylor injury history - college, too. You'll be shocked at the lack of stories.

Unsettling to think that you might be hoping he gets injured so you can be right. It's a great day to be a Bill - enjoy it.

Whoa... I'm not rooting for anyone to get hurt and I've been wrong a lot of times. Once more won't kill me;) I don't care about being right. I care about winning and I don't think Tyrod Taylor is the best choice. TT is our starter (for now). I hope he succeeds and helps us get back to the post season. I am concerned about his size playing as a starter in the NFL.

You're right. He doesn't have a history of missing games due to injury in his career. Unfortunately, his career hasn't included much time playing at the NFL level so we'll see how he holds up.

"It's a great day to be a Bill"??? Brother, I'm old. Been a fan my whole life. Today isn't the best day to be a Bill. This franchise has seen MUCH better days than this. If the news of Tyrod Taylor being our starter makes this a "great day" to be Bills fan than we need to raise the bar. The day we get back to the playoffs it will be a "better day" to be a Bill. We'll all enjoy that.

Tyrod's touchdown run against the Steelers, where he split the defenders at the goal line...if he keeps that up, he will get killed. I am excited to watch him, but I expect the backup to start a game or 2 at least.

If the Bills start 0-3 (all crucial AFC/division games), and they are having trouble scoring....time for the backup. Of course, the season would probably be screwed by then anyway.

I think Tyrod is going to light it up early though. I more expecting troubles later, after teams have more film of him.

I anticipate him getting a little more coaching on his dangerous runs. He has shown well enough in the pocket and I think he'll be more durable than Vick.

Also, consider us going 3-0.

I anticipate him getting a little more coaching on his dangerous runs. He has shown well enough in the pocket and I think he'll be more durable than Vick.

Also, consider us going 3-0.

I have considered us going 3-0, but there was discussion about what circumstances would be cause for Tyrod to get pulled.

I'm happy with Tyrod, I'm not attacking him, or questioning his selection.

Edited by HoF Watkins

What? He didn't even take a hit -- he rolled into the end zone. TT's seeming ability to keep his head on a swivel and avoid big hits is exactly what I (and Bills fans) should like about him. I don't think he'll act like Bob Griffin did during his rookie season, taking shot after shot.

I think he's the 3rd string because Rex has him in the "developmental" spot. Which means, he wants him to learn from the sidelines as opposed to holding the clipboard like Matt Cassell (a role the veteran is better suited for). In the event that Tyrod goes down for any length of time, I'd bet you'd see EJ starting a game before MC because he's better suited for Roman's offense.

Yes hopefully that is true... The 3rd QB usually runs the practice squad team too... Good for development

What? He didn't even take a hit -- he rolled into the end zone. TT's seeming ability to keep his head on a swivel and avoid big hits is exactly what I (and Bills fans) should like about him. I don't think he'll act like Bob Griffin did during his rookie season, taking shot after shot.

I am excited to watch him, and expect the offense to be great. I think that was a risky decision that I don't want to see him make again. If you liked it, great. As the tackler dragged Tyrod's leg, there was a DB that could have popped him real hard as he went down. We can bicker all we want, we will just have to see how he does. I believe he will miss some time this season.

Edited by HoF Watkins

@JoeBuscaglia: #Bills HC Rex Ryan: It was important to see Taylor succeed as a passer this summer

@TyDunne: Ryan on seeing Taylor in the pocket: "That was important. ... His ability to throw the ball was the overriding thing."

@JoeBuscaglia: #Bills HC Rex Ryan: This is an organizational decision to start Tyrod Taylor

@buffalobills: IT'S OFFICIAL: Tyrod Taylor is our 2015 starting QB!

Get to know the man under center: http://t.co/lmPShgtuIyhttp://t.co/8s2bYOolMU

"An organizational decision"? I wonder how the votes were tallied. We "knew" who Rex/Roman wanted, I wanna know where was Doug Whaley's loyalty? Who did the Pegula's prefer? Inquiring minds wanna know!! Edited by the skycap

Well Rex finally got his guy and was not beholden to anyone else. With this choice he can prove he in not a bad QB evaluator but he also can't hide behind Woody, Tannenbaum, or Idzik. I hope he is vindicated.

Are you assuming Rex made the decision to start TT over the objections (or without the endorsement) of Roman? If so, I don't think you are correct. And I sure as hell hope you aren't correct. I'm pretty sure, by the time the decision was made, TT was Roman's choice as well.

Are you assuming Rex made the decision to start TT over the objections (or without the endorsement) of Roman? If so, I don't think you are correct. And I sure as hell hope you aren't correct. I'm pretty sure, by the time the decision was made, TT was Roman's choice as well.

No I am suggesting, I think as was reported, he wanted TT(even when he was in NY) ,he got TT and TT won the competition(I believe it was a legit comp.). We'll see what happens from there.

"An organizational decision"? I wonder how the votes were tallied. We "knew" who Rex/Roman wanted, I wanna know where was Doug Whaley's loyalty? Who did the Pegula's prefer? Inquiring minds wanna know!!

Yeah, I think that it would be very interesting to know who supported whom. Who did David Lee prefer for example? In addition how adamant were they about their guy. Was Rex pounding the table for Tyrod? Was Roman indifferent? These are things we probably will never know but it would be interesting.