QB Tyrod Taylor to start Week 1

Well, he wasn't my choice, but hopefully he gets it done. I'm historically skeptical of the Vick like QBs, though.

Unfortunately I can see them trading EJ to capitalize on his value before his contract is up.

Wasted opportunity.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they choose Tyrod, the main thing I hope is that they do not tell anybody. This means Jay Glazer, you, and me, because most of all it makes it easier to win against Indy who would be forced to prepare for the different games presented by Cassel, EJ and Tyrod.

The important thing here is to lie to Glazer, you and me in order to make it difficult for the opponents.

Yes, I posted it earlier. I'm sure it got lost in the flurry:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000518335/article/tyrod-taylor-named-bills-starting-qb

I find the description of his source a bit tortured:

"a source informed of the team's thinking"

That comment, "source informed of the team's thinking" was in regards to Rapoport. Either Rapoport also has a source, or his "source" is Glazer(and subsequently his source).

This really makes no sense at all. Sounds like EJ is going to be stuck in the third position.

That makes all the sense in the world to me. Cassel is the perfect game day #2 QB. EJ is the #3 who gets the start if Taylor goes down for an extended period of time.

The only way this doesn't make sense is if EJ is cut.

Makes perfect sense if they are keeping three QBs---or if they plan on moving EJ (which I hope they aren't). With three QBs, i suspect Cassel is your gameday choice for #2, as he can probably operate with less prep time during the week.

Makes perfect sense if they are keeping three QBs---or if they plan on moving EJ (which I hope they aren't). With three QBs, i suspect Cassel is your gameday choice for #2, as he can probably operate with less prep time during the week.

100%. Cassel's value is being the steady presence off the bench. Not as the day in day out starter.

I'd argue that Wilson is the exception, not the norm for that style of QB. I would also argue that TT shouldn't be compared to Wilson. To your point, Wilson has two SB's and TT was is a back up QB.

We'll see. Again, hope I'm wrong.

- Taylor is 2-0 against Russell Wilson in college. Similar talent around them - similar experience - so there is some comparison.

- Taylor played this style of QB in college and was available all but 1 game in 4 years

- I hope you remain wrong.

Sorry about that. I think that the Bills would have to be blown away by an offer given how much they've invested (1st rd pick, 2.5 years development time) in Manuel and how much promise he's showing under Roman. Even then, I don't see how you can put that much faith in a QB like Taylor who has never started an NFL game before. Once teams find out trading for EJ Manuel starts with a 1st rd pick (that's what I feel it would start with) then you know the teams who did have interest could never sell that to their fan base.

I wouldn't want to trade EJ either. I just think teams will call about him.

IMO, EJ's style resembles TT's more so than Cassel's. Hence, I would expect that EJ would slide into the game's plan if TT were to go out. To me this makes less sense. Probably over-reacting here, but I hope this doesn't indicate EJ is being cut/traded.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

• Best to Tyrod, he certainly deserves this shot and I think he'll become something special.
  • Terrible news about Freddy...the heartbeat of the team was just carved out and sent packing to accommodate a GM's ego trip.

You realize how contradictory you are in these two statements, right?

If Whaley's "ego" was as big as you think it is, would he not have demanded that Matt Cassell, the guy they are paying $4.1 million to and he traded for, be played over TT?

Once teams find out trading for EJ Manuel starts with a 1st rd pick (that's what I feel it would start with) then you know the teams who did have interest could never sell that to their fan base.

If EJ had first round value he would be starting and there would not have been any debate. I suppose anything is possible but I doubt if we could get a 3rd round pick for him.

That said, if they ARE offered a 3rd (or of course higher), my guess is that they will take it and make the trade, and this is nothing but an opinion in a football discussion.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

100%. Cassel's value is being the steady presence off the bench. Not as the day in day out starter.

What if the Bills are down two TDs or more mid 3rd quarter when Taylor goes down? Only a crazy person would think ol' noodle arm Matt Cassel is the better option in that situation.

I still think Cassel's going to be cut.

You're a little late, that's been being called since the Steeler's game.

Even though I'm an EJ Manuel guy, I'm good with Taylor starting and Manuel as the backup.

Yeah, EJ said "He's not where he wants to be, but getting better". Remember, Alex Smith began the season as the 49ers QB.

IMO, EJ's style resembles TT's more so than Cassel's. Hence, I would expect that EJ would slide into the game's plan if TT were to go out. To me this makes less sense. Probably over-reacting here, but I hope this doesn't indicate EJ is being cut/traded.

I think we are on the same page here. Cassel is #2 for gameday only (in my thinking). Should TT get injured, EJ becomes the starter the following week. But the possibility with that plan is, should TT go down in a game, and Cassel comes in and manages the game to a win, there is a chance they stay with him for the following week. But if the Bills are winning, I'm cool with whatever they decide.

EJ won't even dress on gamedays.

Yes, if it goes the way I see it, that is true---as long as TT and Cassel are healthy.

I think we are on the same page here. Cassel is #2 for gameday only (in my thinking). Should TT get injured, EJ becomes the starter the following week. But the possibility with that plan is, should TT go down in a game, and Cassel comes in and manages the game to a win, there is a chance they stay with him for the following week. But if the Bills are winning, I'm cool with whatever they decide.

Yes, if it goes the way I see it, that is true---as long as TT and Cassel are healthy.

That sounds about right, providing of course that EJ remains on the team.