RB Fred Jackson released

FireChan

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the presser with Whaley. What a waste of time. He essentially says "it was a hard decision" but wouldn't explain his reasoning. "Competitiveness reasons?" What a load. Exactly what edge is a team going to get if he gives the reasons? Maybe it gives Fred a better chance to get hired if they don't disclose? I want him to answer the question regarding how you go into the last preseason game cutting your only healthy veteran running back. First rule of press conferences. Don't schedule one if you are not answering any questions.

You are trolling us right?

I'm talking more about the first part (about being willing to take a pay cut).

This is a specious argument by Florio. Given Freddy's past stance on his worth, I seriously doubt he'd entertain a pay cut. Did Florio's source indicate that Freddy "offered" to take a pay cut? But that's besides the point. The reality is that the Bills didn't want Freddy at any price. Harsh perhaps, but it's reality.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm talking more about the first part (about being willing to take a pay cut).

I do believe it's more about preferring the other RBs (Shady, Karlos, Boobie, Bryce) than about the $$. They didn't want to have to cut any of those four. The $$ saved is just an added bonus.

Probably leak it to the fans in advance... Perhaps let him dress one more time in the last preseason game. -Go out for the coin toss... Something... If only to inspire the next generation of leadership that replaces him... As this discusion unfolds, things are being done that make me feel better... Still not an ending I would have preferred.

I don't understand the "leak it to the fans" part - the fans get it faster than the press? not likely....

The "dress one more time/coin toss" thing might be appropriate if Fred wanted to retire. Evidently he doesn't and is hoping to catch on with another team, thus they cut him early to give him his best shot.

Translation: It was Whaley's call and he did all he could to stop him.

I think you need to check your dictionary. I don't see that translation in there.

Translation: It was Whaley's call and he did all he could to stop him.

Translation: we only have so many roster spots at the position, and try as we may, it was evident that the younger guys need the carries over Fred.

You may not agree, but that's what he appears to be saying IMO

This is a specious argument by Florio. Given Freddy's past stance on his worth, I seriously doubt he'd entertain a pay cut. Did Florio's source indicate that Freddy "offered" to take a pay cut? But that's besides the point. The reality is that the Bills didn't want Freddy at any price. Harsh perhaps, but it's reality.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure why it's specious. Couldn't it be that he agreed to a big pay cut but that the Bills didn't want him regardless? The piece pretty much says that this is what happened. And why wouldn't he offer to take a pay cut? It makes perfect sense: no one is going to pay him what the Bills were scheduled to pay him. I know people like Florio less now he's perceived as pro-Brady, but he's not always wrong.

It does suck. At the end of the day, I think the Bills would have been a better team with Fred Jackson instead of Bryce Brown (who I think will make the team). But the coaches and GM feel differently. I get it.

Telling just what exact?

Telling us that Fred is a professional who has made some decent coin for himself and his kids and understands this is a business so he is looking at other teams or, perhaps, to retire. To read into this any other way (as the tinfoil hat crowd who want to create a controversy) is asinine.

I don't believe that ... I think it was Rex's decision.

Of course it is. Head coaches usually get the say in who is on the final roster. I'm sure it was discussed among the brain trust but it's ultimately Rex's call.

I find it funny that people say things like "Rex brought TT in, he's his guy" yet want to blame this on Whaley when a player is cut. Can't have it both ways.