Rex is torn TT or Cassel

Reed83HOF

I think all three will play due to injury or malaise, but I think playing musical QBs is a very tough thing to do -- and succeed with -- in the NFL.

You have to have a rhythm with players, know where they will be on timing routes, understand protections and coverages, read defenses, and deal with things that are just very hard to do when you're not "the guy." This isn't baseball where you lose a few games and it's a drop in the bucket while you're getting acclimated. Every game is meaningful. I understand where the thought process comes from, in terms of using all the assets and playing to strengths, but time just doesn't really afford you that in the NFL.

Normally I would agree but I think that is offset but a few things. First, you are assuming consistent play, however, some days athletes are just off and you can usually see it early. If it is an established starter like Rodgers you try to let them works themselves out of it but sometimes they don't. Did you see him play in Buffalo last year? He was brutal (WRs didn't help). By not having an established star, if Rex has the guts, we can sit a QB having an off day. Plus some defenses are just better suited to stop certain guys. If there is ever a year it makes sense to be creative this is it.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uhm, you have two guys who were both pretty good in preseason, but one who was better in practice? How else do you expect someone to evaluate a player? Names in a hat?

We can do game film of their previous years, but I don't think we wanna go down that road.

You have game film on Tyrod Taylor?

Just stop.

With Tyrod you get 8 in the box? Seriously? But somehow when a team game plans for EJ, McCoy will have huge running lanes because he completed some passes in preseason?

His point has some merit to it... if EJ throws a better long ball and shows that he is not afraid to throw it. They cant stack the box. With Taylor as many have said. He goes very fast. Thats EXACTLY how teams are going to try and stop Tyrod. He takes off when pressured. But if you get a good enough pass rush on him he will have no where to go

i totally agree with you, so it's not a slam, but it's hilarious that after three preseason games we are talking about the likelihood that our OC is "one and done" here. After the horrors of two whole years of Marrone/Hackett, I think a lot of us are experiencing irrational exuberance.

Well the last couple years Roman has been a candidate for a HC job. We even interviewed him. We have a bunch of skill players so it's possible we will win a bunch of games and he will be a fairly hot commodity.

Nobody's torn.. it's a playmaker's league. with 3 (actually 4) guys who've all shown they can distribute the ball from the pocket - unless there's some major flaw in their games - you start the most dynamic playmaker, and back him up with the second.

I'd be shocked if our 1 & 2 isn't Taylor & Manuel.

Hasn't EJ been the most dynamic playmaker during preseason? Not saying that TT hasn't had some dynamite plays....but EJ has been a machine.

EJ's play hasn't been consistent this preseason? And if you aren't simply going by this preseason, what are you using to judge Tyrod's consistency? Did you hang around training camp every day and watch the QBs?

It's clear to me, all the Bills' QBs have been consistent this preseason. Cassel has a pretty extensive record with a lot of inconstancy (which includes some pretty decent play). EJ has a much shorter record, also exhibiting some inconsistency (including some good play). TT doesn't really have any previous gameday record from which to draw conclusions.

So, if you care to respond, what period of time are you using to judge consistency?

Really? I really hope they can be bothered to make adjustments to accommodate talent. If not, this team is in serious trouble, IMO.

I'm going by all the daily reporting from the on beat reporters, tweets and things that I've read from the guys who attended some of the practices that post here. EJ from what I read was the most inconsistent throughout the camps/preseason.

And the time period that I was referring to was the beginning of this particular QB competition, in regards to the consistency matter.

And I really don't see how anyone who has been keeping track of the daily events that have been reported can call EJ's play as consistent throughout the camps and preseason. Don't get me wrong we just recently are beginning to see some nice improvement, which is great, but he hasn't been consistent throughout the QB competition.

Seems that we only have part of the information. The passing drills and camp work, expecially of late have a bearing as well. From everything I have heard, including from EJ's own words in an interview, he is still has work to do learning the offense, and TT and Meh are ahead of him on that front.

Also watching the high/low lights of the day from camp, which admittedly is small sampling, it seems like Simms and EJ have atleast a pick everyday in the low lights, and usually multiple, but EJ also seems to frequently have long passes in highlights as well.

Basically Meh has been most consistent in practices, while Taylor has had the most good days, based on reports I have seen in practices. So while EJ has taken advantage of his time on field, he hasn't been in practices very consistently. While Meh has been in practices but hasn't really shown much in preseason, while not really getting much chance to honestly. Taylor seems to have been able to take advantage in most areas between them all, so think he has inside track myself. From what have heard, he has better understanding of offense than EJ, and been more consistent and less bad plays overall, and has shown abilities to stand in pocket and deliver when not under pressure. Meh is tough to gauge though as didn't really get a lot of reps in preseason, but got most with first team in practices from most accounts.

My bet is Taylor is starter at seasons opener, but wouldn't rule out Meh based on how much time he gets with starters in the practices and his understanding of the offense being the best from all accounts I have read.

This is all from following online so 3rd hand information though.

I'm going by all the daily reporting from the on beat reporters, tweets and things that I've read from the guys who attended some of the practices that post here. EJ from what I read was the most inconsistent throughout the camps/preseason.

And the time period that I was referring to was the beginning of this particular QB competition, in regards to the consistency matter.

And I really don't see how anyone who has been keeping track of the daily events that have been reported can call EJ's play as consistent throughout the camps and preseason. Don't get me wrong we just recently are beginning to see some nice improvement, which is great, but he hasn't been consistent throughout the QB competition.

Didn't see this till after posted, pretty much same thing I have seen.

Perhaps this will serve as some last minute evidence to help push the decision our way?

Who was the QB for the Chiefs when the Bills beat them 41-7, in Arrowhead?

Matt Cassel.

Here's the stat line, and, before you say but...but...but he completed 61% of this passes!

Listen to this guy.

6 pass plays for negative yards! :lol: Yes, 61% of his passes, but 22 passes to get 119 yards? 5.4 yards a pass, in a game where you were behind big from jumpstreet? Therefore: a game where Cassel had to be throwing the entire game, against the Wannstedt defense? And all he gets is 119 yards?

With this awful INT, on one of the few passes he threw that were beyond 10 yards?

I don't see why we need to re-learn what Chiefs fans already know. They cheered when he got hurt for Pete's sake.

Hilarios video: Todd Haley calls Cassel a "Dumbass Quarterback"

Todd Haley knows. So does the fan with the headset on. That face/slight chuckle is all we need to know.

But wait: There's more! Chargers fans know Matt Cassel sucks

Jesus, the entire F'ing internet knows he sucks, including Detroit fans.

There's an entire forum devoted to Matt Cassel sucking probably created by Vikings fans

These are merely the ones I thought were the funniest. But, my God, does anybody see a pattern here?

Perhaps this will serve as some last minute evidence to help push the decision our way?

Who was the QB for the Chiefs when the Bills beat them 41-7, in Arrowhead?

Matt Cassel.

Here's the stat line, and, before you say but...but...but he completed 61% of this passes!

Listen to this guy.

6 pass plays for negative yards! :lol: Yes, 61% of his passes, but 22 passes to get 119 yards? 5.4 yards a pass, in a game where you were behind big from jumpstreet? Therefore: a game where Cassel had to be throwing the entire game, against the Wannstedt defense? And all he gets is 119 yards?

With this awful INT, on one of the few passes he threw that were beyond 10 yards?

I don't see why we need to re-learn what Chiefs fans already know.

Todd Haley knows. So does the fan with the headset on. That face/slight chuckle is all we need to know.

There's an entire forum devoted to Matt Cassel sucking probably created by Vikings fans

These are merely the ones I thought were the funniest. But, my God, does anybody see a pattern here?

Nope we ignore all this because EJ. chan and Metz actually argue pro Cassel which is amusing.

Can`t wait to see what happens here IF the QB choice lays a egg the Colts game. This place will explode ?? Ha

yes lets all look forward to that

anyone think some interest in Cassel will arise from other teams when/if he is relegated to 3rd . Honest question.

Yeah that's right, I said Tyrod Taylor is already as great of an all time QB as Joe Montana. Read what I wrote. I said his two drives yesterday couldn't have been any better. Yes, Joe Montana in his absolute prime couldn't have done any better than Tyrod Taylor did yesterday in his two preseason drives. Taylor was 12-13. Would Montana have gone 15-13? I also said that a lot of you used the Marrone/coaching excuse way too much for EJ. Those who said that may have been right and I may have been wrong. I'll own that when Manuel does what he did yesterday in a regular season game.

Metz, I know you and I don't agree a lot. I know that we've clashed on EJ, and I still think the kid can sling it and has some potential.

But considering what brought the 08-09 Jets and 11-13 Niners to championship games was a certain pattern: you play great defense, you run the ball effectively, and your QB does enough to move the chains.

EJ connecting on incredible deep balls is fantastic, but that means the defense comes right back out against the likes of Brady, Luck, Eli, Romo and Bradford (who we are all likely to play) to shred and wear down your D. I will take a 8 minute drive for only a field goal in the 1st quarter, because that means opposing D is worn down in the 4th, when it matters.

I know a lot of people here like Chip Kelly. While I am skeptical of him as a GM, he's had a lot of success on offense and I heard his philosophy summed up last night: he doesn't care about the deep play. He will take sure 5 yard completions and runs every time, because eventually someone misses a tackle, or coverage breaks and you're off to the races.

12/13 for 122 yards, plus a 20 yard TD run is absolutely the kind of metric were looking for. If it HAS to be TT or Cassel, I think it's an unfair argument, but I am comfortable with TT.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly

Nope we ignore all this because EJ. chan and Metz actually argue pro Cassel which is amusing.

I'd argue that with a competent team around him Cassel has shown he can do more.

You have game film on Tyrod Taylor?

His point has some merit to it... if EJ throws a better long ball and shows that he is not afraid to throw it. They cant stack the box. With Taylor as many have said. He goes very fast. Thats EXACTLY how teams are going to try and stop Tyrod. He takes off when pressured. But if you get a good enough pass rush on him he will have no where to go

I have no game film on Taylor. That's a positive compared to the game film on EJ.

I'd argue that with a competent team around him Cassel has shown he can do more.

I have no game film on Taylor. That's a positive compared to the game film on EJ.

See above though. Minus Cassels outlier in 2010 he's meh and trending downwards.

Throws on Saturday were lifeless and a real struggle for him. Thank god Easley has hands like jerry rice.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

You've argued for months that EJ sucks so why should anyone buy into anything regarding the QB position from you or from any of the other EJ haters?

As for the "competent team" argument, there was a huge drop off in production from Brady to Cassel. That team was a well oiled machine on both sides of the ball and Cassel did the only thing he knows how to do, not screw it up too much. If that's your bar for the Bills starter then that's just plain sad.

EJ had Doug Marrone coaching him, a man who was so smart he quit his NFL head coaching job and is now the offensive line coach for the Jaguars. He didn't have Bill Belichick or Josh McDaniels like Cassel had. Now he's got Greg Roman and EJ already looks miles ahead of Matt Cassel in terms of NFL starting material, yet you are still going back to the 2008 Pats to try to boost your argument for Matt Cassel? You need to hang it up already. Marrone is a stupid man and he was the problem, not EJ.

Edited by 1billsfan

Metz, I know you and I don't agree a lot. I know that we've clashed on EJ, and I still think the kid can sling it and has some potential.

But considering what brought the 08-09 Jets and 11-13 Niners to championship games was a certain pattern: you play great defense, you run the ball effectively, and your QB does enough to move the chains.

EJ connecting on incredible deep balls is fantastic, but that means the defense comes right back out against the likes of Brady, Luck, Eli, Romo and Bradford (who we are all likely to play) to shred and wear down your D. I will take a 8 minute drive for only a field goal in the 1st quarter, because that means opposing D is worn down in the 4th, when it matters.

I know a lot of people here like Chip Kelly. While I am skeptical of him as a GM, he's had a lot of success on offense and I heard his philosophy summed up last night: he doesn't care about the deep play. He will take sure 5 yard completions and runs every time, because eventually someone misses a tackle, or coverage breaks and you're off to the races.

12/13 for 122 yards, plus a 20 yard TD run is absolutely the kind of metric were looking for. If it HAS to be TT or Cassel, I think it's an unfair argument, but I am comfortable with TT.

I disagree with the premise that a big play offense is not preferable. The object of the game is to score more points than your opponent. For every 13-play drive that ends in a TD, that's a bunch more plays where something negative can happen for your offense (fumble, INT, penalty, injury). There is not a coach in the league who wouldn't like to see his offense hit a long TD on as many plays as possible.

Big plays lead to, well, leads. And then the other team has to do things they don't necessarily want to do -- which is suicide against a Rex Ryan defense.

because they believe in Jerry S. Whose story aligns with theirs.

I'll repost the link

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/30/no-smoke-from-bills-on-qb-choice/

As I’ve(JS) said before, Taylor’s rise was largely due to his modest competition, Cassel and EJ Manuel. That doesn’t mean he can’t succeed, that he wouldn’t seize the moment and turn into a solid NFL starter.

Ryan pushed to get Taylor. Maybe others are trying to persuade him. I’m told that offensive coordinator Greg Roman believed that Cassel was best-suited to run his offense.