GR postgame unbelievably predicts Cassel as the starter

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/08/30/what-rex-staff-will-base-qb-decision-on/

"Bills head coach Rex Ryan said after Buffalo’s win over Pittsburgh Saturday that there will be three things he bases his starting QB decision on when he and his offensive staff, GM Doug Whaley and owner Terry Pegula reach a consensus.

“What did we say we’re going to base the decision on? The team, the team and the team. Those three things,” said Ryan. “That’s what it’s going to be based on. Have I had discussions with (offensive coordinator) Greg Roman? Absolutely. Have I had discussions with (General Manager) Doug Whaley? With Terry Pegula? Absolutely. But has there been a collaborative deal? We are meeting (Sunday) to discuss our roster. We’ve got to make cuts getting down to 75 and there are going to be some tough cuts to make there let alone to get to 53. So that’s when we’ll have the (discussion), but the (starting quarterback) decision will be made and we’ll move forward.”

Ryan said he won’t make their decision public on Sunday, but the three quarterbacks will be informed."

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just going to throw this out there real quick...

EJ Manuel is 25 years old, he's 6-5 and has a great arm...He is getting better because...for the first time in his career...he is getting REAL NFL coaching...

QB's...Young, old, or whatever do not grow on trees in the NFL...If EJ Manuel is not on this roster in week #1 in some capacity I will be well beyond pissed off...

I think TT deserves the start over EJ...I've felt all along EJ would need some extended time under Roman...But I can clearly see where EJ has the better upside if he can continue to work under this OC...We have not had that kind of talent potential at QB since...well...a long, long, time...If it means Cassel has to go...so be it...There is no way in Hades I cut or trade EJ Manuel if I'm the Bills...No freaking way... B-)

I got a kick out of Rex Ryan & co that kept putting EJ into the game to see how he would do, and all he did was impress.

I'll be kinda disappointed if EJ isn't the starter. No offense to Tyrod Taylor but he looked really good in Baltimore's pre season games, and not so great once he got to play in a real game.

EJ only has 14 games under his belt being led by idiots who had no business running an NFL offense. Now imagine how much he can grow under real NFL coaches going forward, and with Shady McCoy running it, Sammy, Harvin & Woods catching it. Just my opinion.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/08/30/what-rex-staff-will-base-qb-decision-on/

"Bills head coach Rex Ryan said after Buffalo’s win over Pittsburgh Saturday that there will be three things he bases his starting QB decision on when he and his offensive staff, GM Doug Whaley and owner Terry Pegula reach a consensus.

“What did we say we’re going to base the decision on? The team, the team and the team. Those three things,” said Ryan. “That’s what it’s going to be based on. Have I had discussions with (offensive coordinator) Greg Roman? Absolutely. Have I had discussions with (General Manager) Doug Whaley? With Terry Pegula? Absolutely. But has there been a collaborative deal? We are meeting (Sunday) to discuss our roster. We’ve got to make cuts getting down to 75 and there are going to be some tough cuts to make there let alone to get to 53. So that’s when we’ll have the (discussion), but the (starting quarterback) decision will be made and we’ll move forward.”

Ryan said he won’t make their decision public on Sunday, but the three quarterbacks will be informed."

Does Rex really think he can keep the decision a secret with the likes of Adam Schefter out there. Adam will keep bugging the agents of all of the QBs until he gets an answer or figures it out.

I would think great game performances are a reflection of practice; time in film room; etc. Preseason or not. But by all means, lets take our NFL QBing evaluations from Mike Rodak and Joe Buscaglia. Every day these guys are watching the QBS go against our D. I'd like to see how Russell Wilson looks against the Hawks D in practice..

Because ... Gamers lol

John Wawrow @john_wawrow 6m6 minutes ago Buffalo, NY

John Wawrow retweeted Josh McCarty

Some signs point in that direction.

Josh McCarty @Josh_McCarty28
@AP_NFL @john_wawrow Do you consider Cassel the favorite?

John Wawrow @john_wawrow 2m2 minutes ago Buffalo, NY

John Wawrow retweeted Mike Rubin

Don't shoot the messenger, fact #Bills have been keeping Cassel under wraps for much of preseason might be telling.

Mike Rubin @slcrubes
@john_wawrow But why?
John Wawrow @john_wawrow 35s35 seconds ago Buffalo, NY

I think Tyrod might be best choice, however not my decision to make. Also, I credit EJ's perseverance.

Cassel couldn't throw a pass further than ten yards.

Did you notice that TT didn't either? Tell me, what's so evil about a 12 play 80 yard drive?

If Cassel was going to be the starter he would hv played more these last two games. The fact that he didn't says all we need to know.

Man, you got that right? Why isn't he getting more reps? I am perplexed. But wow is EJ putting on a show, though.

Did you notice that TT didn't either? Tell me, what's so evil about a 12 play 80 yard drive?

Man, you got that right? Why isn't he getting more reps? I am perplexed. But wow is EJ putting on a show, though.

When did Cassel have one of those?

Listening to the GR post-game show, and somehow, they are still thinking Matt Cassel is the starter. The rationale? He played the smallest amount, like Rapelisberger, so he's the starter. Never mind how the QB's actually played in a game situation. EJ has been in third place (so they say) since the start of TC, so he's still third.

Based on his performance, Cassel is at best a good backup. EJ or Tyrod CLEARLY earned the job today. Cassel showed why he's a good 3rd string emergency guy. At $4.5M, the Bills are paying a lot for an emergency veteran guy, but it's worth it if you need it. Anyone pushing Cassel as the starter is delusional, IMHO. Are you really going to discount those dimes by EJ? The clutch runs by Tyrod? No wonder people think that GR announcers have an agenda and personal bias.

I like EJ, but have no problems if Tyrod is named the starter and EJ the backup. If Cassel is higher than 2 on the QB depth chart, it's going to be a major bummer. It also doesn't say much for rewarding performance.

Make the right call Rex.

1A. EJ

1B. Tyrod

3. Cassel

4. Simms to the PS if he has eligibility and clears waivers.

This is why coaches have no respect for the opinions of the fans. You have it upside down. (except for Simms who shouldn't even be mentioned since he will be cut)

no, he didn't. Rex said the opposite. Games were more important.

Incorrect! He's had sound bites played for the last 3 days saying pre-season games are way overrated by fans and media particularly the 3rd game. He said all of the practices they see every day are as important to their evaluation as the games are.

It's the ego of Rex. He thinks his defense is the best so whoever does the best against his D must be the best QB

Well if you're honest going against one of the acknowledged best defenses in the league should hold a lot of weight about how well a QB can do in this league!

Incorrect! He's had sound bites played for the last 3 days saying pre-season games are way overrated by fans and media particularly the 3rd game. He said all of the practices they see every day are as important to their evaluation as the games are.

He's actually said different things at different times. You can't really take Rex for his word because he will contradict himself. Not in a sinister way, but he just talks and he's very confident.

Overall he usually mentions that it is a totality of work from OTAs, through training camp and the scrimmage and games. But he's often said obviously the games are the most important. They are singular days though compared to dozens of practices. Coming up big in actual games, without question, will be a big factor, because you have to put it all together. The way EJ has played has obviously made a big impression on the team and coaches. Not enough to win the job though. I still think it will be Taylor.

Roman has eyes of his own, he will start the best guy, not who WGR says.

A lot of people been saying EJ has little chance to start. They said he wouldn't start the 3rd preseason game. Then they said, after two scoring drives his night was over, then he got back in and scored some more. Roman will make his own decision, the right decision, not who WGR wants, not who the fans want. Who he wants.

A huge part of me wants this to be true because it means Rex the defensive guru will not make this choice and his OC can make his. Makes sense to me because Roman will be the man responsible and held accountable for our offensive production.

However...this still does all fall on Rex's shoulders in the end so it has to be his call.

That being said if Roman wants Cassell to start I could not blame Rex from stepping in!

I will admit that perhaps Roman has more practical life experiences to relect upon than I do...but he hasn't been here the last 15 years without a playoff berth and hasn't had to deal with the check down run of QBs we've had! Outside of Fitz we have had check down clowns some of whom were better than Cassell...enough said!

I would think great game performances are a reflection of practice; time in film room; etc. Preseason or not. But by all means, lets take our NFL QBing evaluations from Mike Rodak and Joe Buscaglia. Every day these guys are watching the QBS go against our D. I'd like to see how Russell Wilson looks against the Hawks D in practice..

Good point but realistically the only people we can generally get evaluations from are the media at least on a consistent basis. I have noticed some back peddling from some media about EJ (Sal) versus diggjng their heels in (Jeremy White). Tyrod and EJ have really stepped up and have shown they can possibly be something special! Matt on the other hand has shown me why he is floating around the league as a journeyman!

This is why coaches have no respect for the opinions of the fans. You have it upside down. (except for Simms who shouldn't even be mentioned since he will be cut)

You must either know Cassell or not watch football (american football). The only coherent argument that can be made for Cassell to start is if both Tyrod and EJ get hurt and we decided to "tank" the season to get that 1st draft pick!

The Bills Nation will have a meltdown of epic proportions if Cassell is the starter week 1!

He's actually said different things at different times. You can't really take Rex for his word because he will contradict himself. Not in a sinister way, but he just talks and he's very confident.

Good point! Rex has tried to ride the fence everytime he has been questioned about the QBs! He goes out of the way to say nothing is determined one way or another. This allows him to back step into whatever situation comes about. This includes EJ especially! Witness the last week.