GR postgame unbelievably predicts Cassel as the starter

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cassel was 6-7 but two of those completions were bad passes for no reason that people say EJ does. The first was to Davis who was wide open and Cassell threw it two yards off which made Davis lunge and it ended up a third and one but should have been an easy first. The second was an easy pass to Easley who was also wide open but he had to dive and make a great catch.

I have been rooting for EJ this offseason since I think he has the highest ceiling of the three. However, Taylor just seems to have that X-factor. He has unbelievable pocket awareness. His throws appear to be on time and on target. I can't recall any head scratching throws that we occasionally get with EJ. He can also extend drives with his legs. I think he's the real winner. Cassel is what he's always been... just OK. He would need to be perfect on third down (a lot of them) to extend drives, which I can't see happening.

If they kept all three:

Starter: Taylor

Backup: EJ

Mop-up Guy: Cassel (Simms could do that and save $4M)

Exactly. EJ was terrific tonight, and my comfort level with him went way up (though I still don't fully trust him). But the kinds of plays he was making aren't consistently reproducible against good defenses game-planning against you, unless you are a QB god, which I don't think he is (yet, anyway). Not saying he wouldn't make any big plays like that - just not consistently against good defenses.

But the little things that Taylor was doing to convert third downs, keep drives going, work the team into scoring position, etc. ARE consistently reproducible by a good QB, which I think Taylor is. I think this has to be Taylor's team.

Again, though, three cheers for EJ and if he keeps on progressing, who knows where he ends up. He surely gunned some beauties today.

Agree 100%, great post.

Vic Carruci is saying the same thing. All of the Media Pundits were calling for Cassel because they refuse to admit they are wrong.

I am going to laugh when Rex names EJ the starter and shocks everyone.

WGR and the local Bills beat reporters have been in such a free fall these last two weeks that I'm sure they're all in a state of denial. It's embarrassing how stupid they all sound sticking to their guns.

They don't even realize that they collectively overrated Matt Cassel because they're a bunch of small thinkers who were apparently very impressed by a journeyman backup QB who went to the pro bowl 5 years ago...LOL

I've been listening for an hour now...

"The tea leaves are saying Matt Cassel"

OK...

To Coller's credit he does say he thinks TT should start...But just like the rest of them is giving EJ zero chance...even to be the #2...Zero chance... B-)

Cassel was 6-7 but two of those completions were bad passes for no reason that people say EJ does. The first was to Davis who was wide open and Cassell threw it two yards off which made Davis lunge and it ended up a third and one but should have been an easy first. The second was an easy pass to Easley who was also wide open but he had to dive and make a great catch.

I commented on this during the game thread. These were the kind of passes that would draw "inaccurate" comments if EJ threw them. But Cassel? He's the "safe" option.

It's Tyrod guys, unless Rex's gut convinces him otherwise and he goes with Manuel. It's been Tyrod for a while now.

Don't let these clowns rile you up. If Carucci is saying it too, I'm guessing their "sources" in the front office are misdirecting for the Colts game.

It's Tyrod guys, unless Rex's gut convinces him otherwise and he goes with Manuel. It's been Tyrod for a while now.

Don't let these clowns rile you up. If Carucci is saying it too, I'm guessing their "sources" in the front office are misdirecting for the Colts game.

Good point. Baffle 'em with bullsh.