ESPN: Is Tannehill better than Luck?

YoloinOhio

I am extremely surprised Talleywhacker has done as good as he has. I fully expected Matt Moore to take over and flame out before RT made a name for himself. He should feel very proud of himself - maybe he will get some time to ponder his accomplishments while he is buried underneath a pile of Williams's

awesome post !!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admittedly don't think Tannehill is that good but that aside, I think you're underestimating a guy who might have had one of the best single postseasons ever. Flacco has been the best postseason QB since 2008. He gets clutch when it matters. He can make any throw on the field. Tannehill still struggles to hit receivers on long throws.

Just to be clear saying he could be Flacco is a compliment from me. I think very highly of him.

I literally just removed ESPN.com from my favorites bar today. That after stopping watching non-live sports on their tv stations a few months ago. Although this story had nothing to do with why I did that today, it perfectly exemplifies exactly why I did.

I like Tannehill too. I was wrong about him. He can play at a Flacco level which is good enough to win. I thought Tannehill was destined to be Dalton. A little too good to just dump but never good enough to do anything.

I agree is he is good enough to win. I was very impressed with him against the Bills in the 2nd game last year and in the preseason game against the Panthers last weekend.

Is he better than Flacco?

Yes!

Have you seen his wife? He is (must be) be better looking!

Would you consider a QB last year with a 58% completion rate, 48 sacks, 54 the year before and 35 the year before that a top 10 QB?

Our front four crushed him in the home opener last year I think 5 times if memory serves. Tannehill is getting better each year but I'd say he is maybe around the 16th to 18th best QB.

Luck is easily in the top 10. What we could have done if we could have had him as our leader.

Hilarity:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/08/26/why-andrew-luck-ranks-outside-our-top-10-qbs-for-now/

First comment:

"Another area that matters in our rating systems is a QB’s performance when facing pressure from opposing defenses. Luck finished with a negative grade against pressure last season, completing just 47.8 percent of passes – a fact that was likely obscured for most by his 14-to-7 TD-to-INT ratio when under pressure."

Uh, what? Stop contradicting yourself, PFF. You rated him as the 5th best QB under pressure last year.

Source:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/20/qbs-in-focus-under-pressure/

This is why no one takes you guys seriously. You have real issues getting on the same page with each other. Shocking, considering your grading system.

Oh, and let's focus on that '47.8 percent of passes' last season, when under pressure. Aaron Rodgers, according to your signature stats, completed 45.7%. Brady, 45.5%. Why are you using this as the metric, again?

^ This right here is the primary example of why some of us summarily dismiss PFF's "stats".

As to the question at hand, I'll answer it with a question:

Suppose Ryan Grigson called up Dennis Hickey and said "Hey, I'll give you Luck for Tannehill straight up"...how long do you think it would take Hickey to get over his immense shock before emphatically saying yes?

Would you consider a QB last year with a 58% completion rate, 48 sacks, 54 the year before and 35 the year before that a top 10 QB?

Our front four crushed him in the home opener last year I think 5 times if memory serves. Tannehill is getting better each year but I'd say he is maybe around the 16th to 18th best QB.

Luck is easily in the top 10. What we could have done if we could have had him as our leader.

where are you getting these stats? i see a 66% completion, 46 sacks with 27 tds and 12 picks and two lost fumbles. Russell wilson got sacked 42 times. The big concern is the high sack rate but that can be helped with better line play. He protects the ball and throws some td's.

Already a name player, however this will be luck's coming out year as an elite player where he takes the mantle from Brady as the face of the NFL for several years to come. Guy is an incredible talent

only problem is they have zero defense.

Unless QB suddenly stated playing on the O-line, I think yes.

PFF lost a lot of credibility to me with that article. Luck NOT in the top ten list? Are you kidding me? While they're at it, they might as well also tell me that JJ Watt is an average DE or that Marcel Dareus doesn't grade out as a top 5 DT in the league. At the end of the day, they're doing this for only one reason. Clicks. Advertising revenue doesn't get generated if people aren't reading the articles. The more absurd the concept, the more clicks they get.