EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

Or maybe some of them actually aren't very good and don't put much effort into the product that they put out there. But no, I'm sure you're astute analysis here is correct.

pretty much spot on.... :flirt:

But seriously, do you feel comfortable with the Bills QB situation? I know I have big concerns. I feel a little better than I did coming into camp, but I am still not sold on any of these QB's. And I am a Bills fan, so what are unbiased reporters expected to say?

Edited by ricojes

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have an IPhone but have the same issue. The workaround I've found is instead of just clicking the link, press and hold and when prompted, select the "Open in New Window" option. It works every time for me, but again, on an Android.

Ditto. Still a pain, though.

The thing is, these guys are paid to talk about the 32 NFL teams. They shouldn't be outsiders. Either get better information or shut the f*** up. I expect more from journalists and sports reporters. Not lazy crap. I understand it's a lot to get accurate info and feel for every team, but again, that's their job. They're just lazy, that's what it comes down to.

These guys don't get paid to be accurate. They get paid to be interesting - to draw viewers to their programs. And, apparently, you don't have to be exceptionally knowledgeable about all 32 teams to do that.

The thing is, these guys are paid to talk about the 32 NFL teams. They shouldn't be outsiders. Either get better information or shut the f*** up. I expect more from journalists and sports reporters. Not lazy crap. I understand it's a lot to get accurate info and feel for every team, but again, that's their job. They're just lazy, that's what it comes down to.

I don't understand how people even respect the profession of "sports reporting". It is kind of a joke. All it requires is an opinion, which everyone has. You know what they say about ass***** and opinions, everybody's got one.

Being a sports reporter is like being a fat, (candy addicted) kid riding in a firetruck with buckets of candy he is supposed to throw out to the other kids at the parade. He can eat as much as he wants while throwing whatever he wants out to the other kids.

How these people get paid is beyond me. It is not something I would call a skilled job. Like some of the illegal Mexicans out picking cabbage for farmers across WNY right now could do it. Seriously.

But seriously, do you feel comfortable with the Bills QB situation? I know I have big concerns. I feel a little better than I did coming into camp, but I am still not sold on any of these QB's. And I am a Bills fan, so what are unbiased reporters expected to say?

I'm not sold on any of the QBs but I'm fairly confident one of them will be able to get the job done once the bullets start flying for real. Which one I don't know and I don't know if it'll take a QB getting benched to get the right one in there.

Right now I'm thinking that the coaching staff will go with Cassel to start the season with the idea that he'll get yanked if he starts the season slowly.

I get what you are saying because it kind of irked me when he said "not many teams are in as bad of quarterback situation as the Buffalo Bills".

But when I try to look at it from his perspective, I get why he would think that way and probably why a lot of the league looks at Buffalo the same way.

From an outsider's perspective here is what we have:

One quarterback that has bounced around from team to team because he is not good enough to solidify a starting position on any of them for any length of time.

One quarterback who got benched after 4 games of mediocrity at best following a lackluster rookie season.

One quarterback who looked okay coming out of college but sat the bench as a number two and doesn't have any real regular season playing time in the NFL.

I know we get to see things closer up than that as Bills fans, which allows us to see bright spots where other people don't. But I can totally see (from an outsider's perspective) how the Buffalo Bills situation at quarterback looks pretty pathetic.

In fact, unless you are a Bills fan who pays attention to everything happening in practice and preseason, I don't see how you could ever possibly be optimistic about the Bills QB situation.

Which is why I find it so interesting that anyone has anointed "their choice" as better than the other candidates. It is amazing to me that anyone would be doing so.

People on this board suggested just what Rex is going to do on Saturday. Stating it is the prudent thing to do, no that EJ should be the starter week 1. The response them was "why give reps away" or "The starter of the 3rd pregame is basically the starter"(paraphrasing there). Now those same people are arguing its just a preseason game, they're shopping him or well there real ones are not really in there.

The process seems to be playing out reasonably and the coaches can now evaluate each player without the caveat of "yeah but he was only lighting up the 3s". I am really having a hard time understand statements like "What happens if EJ plays lights out and the other two don't". It shows that they want "their guy" and don't want one of the others.

Let process play out and hopefully who ever emerges is good enough to guide the team deep into the playoffs.

These guys don't get paid to be accurate. They get paid to be interesting - to draw viewers to their programs. And, apparently, you don't have to be exceptionally knowledgeable about all 32 teams to do that.

Like the time that Marshall Faulk--whilst working for NFL Network--was asked what the Bills' #1 need in the upcoming draft was, and he replied "it's time to address that LT position".

This was immediately following Jason Peters' first pro bowl appearance (and prior to his holdout)...and nobody else on the show even flinched at the statement.

That was the day I realized that these guys often don't do any kind of research on certain teams. Many of them simply shoot from the hip.

Which is why I find it so interesting that anyone has anointed "their choice" as better than the other candidates. It is amazing to me that anyone would be doing so.

People on this board suggested just what Rex is going to do on Saturday. Stating it is the prudent thing to do, no that EJ should be the starter week 1. The response them was "why give reps away" or "The starter of the 3rd pregame is basically the starter"(paraphrasing there). Now those same people are arguing its just a preseason game, they're shopping him or well there real ones are not really in there.

The process seems to be playing out reasonably and the coaches can now evaluate each player without the caveat of "yeah but he was only lighting up the 3s". I am really having a hard time understand statements like "What happens if EJ plays lights out and the other two don't". It shows that they want "their guy" and don't want one of the others.

Let process play out and hopefully who ever emerges is good enough to guide the team deep into the playoffs.

There were definitely people on this board saying that EJ should be the starter week 1. In fact there is an entire thread about it. It's right over here - http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/180187-why-ej-manuel-should-start-in-week-1/

Like the time that Marshall Faulk--whilst working for NFL Network--was asked what the Bills' #1 need in the upcoming draft was, and he replied "it's time to address that LT position".

This was immediately following Jason Peters' first pro bowl appearance (and prior to his holdout)...and nobody else on the show even flinched at the statement.

That was the day I realized that these guys often don't do any kind of research on certain teams. Many of them simply shoot from the hip.

Yep it was like last year when it was obvious through 6 or 7 games that we were really struggling getting out running game going and you had talking heads on NFLN saying "the Bills are playing great defense and they have a dominant run game with Spiller and Jackson it is just the question mark over whether Orton can get it done at Quarterback" I was sitting there thinking "if only we had a dominant running game it would almost not matter how bad Orton or EJ or whoever was at Quarterback!"

Forget about the media, what does this do for EJ and TT? Both gonna come out on fire looking to prove themselves. Both gonna come out mentally and physically at their peak to prove what they can do. And they're both very talented and competitive. This will do nothing but elevate each one of their games. Ej may throw a touchdown or two, and if he does, what's Tyrod say? Tyrods gonna be like, oh yeah, how bout this. Strike! I see this brewing such a competitive fire between them, which is the best form of practice, them pushing each other. Should be a thing of beauty.

I'm lookin forward to watching the competition between them. Gonna a get a couple of Wegmans subs, 12 pack of good beer, sit down with my two little junior Bills fans in training and watch a Bills game! Doesn't really get any better!

Best part, whoever does get named the starter, we will all know, definitively, who is the best guy. If Tyrod does light it up, this will make me, a huge EJ arguer, 100% behind the chosen one!

LETS

GO

BUFF

A

LO!!

There were definitely people on this board saying that EJ should be the starter week 1. In fact there is an entire thread about it. It's right over here - http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/180187-why-ej-manuel-should-start-in-week-1/

Yes ... I realize that but there was a middle group of posters ... and that thread came afterward. And I thought, according to some of the post it was started in jest.

The description of our QBs means nothing. Where they came from means nothing. Whether they are backups or journeymen means nothing. What matters is how they perform. Anyone remember Jim Plunkett? Traded by the Pats, released by the Niners, became Oakland's starter at age 33 and won two Super Bowls.

What are you even arguing? You're going from picking on the media to picking on the EJ supporters? I don't think you even know anymore what you're arguing. You're all over the place. Focus man, we need you at 100% before the season starts! I

What are you even arguing? You're going from picking on the media to picking on the EJ supporters? I don't think you even know anymore what you're arguing. You're all over the place. Focus man, we need you at 100% before the season starts! I

:D Not trying to argue bro. Just making conversation. To go with my morning fried onions and pierogi.

I'm not ecstatic, but yes, I'm "comfortable" with the Bills' QB situation. We don't have a proven franchise guy but we have three players who have all shown improvement -- two of whom have significant upside (TT and EJ). We also have an excellent coaching staff -- particularly an OC who has shown he can adjust to match what his players do well.

By W3 you're going to hear all of the talking heads at ESPN and NFL Network stammering in amazement at how productive the Bills offense has been.

The description of our QBs means nothing. Where they came from means nothing. Whether they are backups or journeymen means nothing. What matters is how they perform. Anyone remember Jim Plunkett? Traded by the Pats, released by the Niners, became Oakland's starter at age 33 and won two Super Bowls.

I agree with you; however, If you look at arguments against EJ these posters certainly did use what came before as fodder for there reasoning, but failed to use the same reasoning when anointing their "choice"

I'm pretty psyched today. I love football time!!

I was psyched last night to be able to turn on a friggin football game on television. Yes, I think we all love this time of year. It is pretty awesome.

Question for you guys:

If the quarterback competition was really supposed to be fair and equal, don't you think it would have been better to rotate the quarterbacks in the following way:

QB Z plays first series in game.

QB Y plays next series.

QB X plays next series.

QB Z plays next series.

QB Y plays next series.

QB X plays next series.

And so on..

And then keep doing that during the entire game for each of the first (at least 2) preseason games.

Wouldn't that have given you a much clearer picture of how each QB played based on a more level playing field?

Then each guy would have played with the same personnel and against the same opposing personnel.

Thoughts?

Edited by PolishDave

Just got word this morning- coaches' minds already made up, starting Manuel is a charade mostly to mess with Indianapolis and/or to see if he has any trade value. He has no chance of starting on opening day. Take it to the bank. According to a pretty credible source, I'm pretty sure I know who is starting. Carry on.

Just got word this morning- coaches' minds already made up, starting Manuel is a charade mostly to mess with Indianapolis and/or to see if he has any trade value. He has no chance of starting on opening day. Take it to the bank. According to a pretty credible source, I'm pretty sure I know who is starting. Carry on.

Dude..... you can't leave us hanging like that.......not cool.....