Why EJ Manuel should start in Week 1

Simon

I think EJ could very well be leading the in the competition for starter at this point. Everyone is so hung up on who is getting 1st team reps but what I have seen on three different occasions during camp, EJ has been taking snaps against the first team defense. He has been playing a lot with the 2nd-3rd team offense and still producing on par with the other 2 QBs. Also, according to PFF, he is also ranked 7th out of all the QBs that have played so far this preseason.

Now I am not saying that EJ is a top 10 QB, but I do think he has improved more than what many of us here may be thinking. It is looking to me like Rex has been intentionally putting EJ in the most difficult position. And at the same time Rex has also made it look like EJ is only taking 3rd team reps. Problem is, while EJ is going against the 1st team defense, Cassel and Taylor have been going against 2nd-3rd team defenders. That skews the numbers quite a bit and fools the media into thinking that 1st offense means 1st team QB. When you see EJ in interviews, and on the field, he's smiling and having fun. He does not look the part of a player on the outs.

I know many are enamored with the shiny new toy TT, but while I really do like what Taylor has been doing, I just don't see him as a starter. He would be a great package QB. And with all of the wildcat plays that the offense is installing, I think that is exactly what he will do. Taylor has a terrific advantage too because he can actually throw fairly well too. I see a defender spying TT and daring him to run. TT will have to throw more and run less if he wants to stay healthy.

Cassel gets rid of the ball fast. He seems to always nibble and almost never takes a big bite out of the defense. I just don't see it with him. I see defenders crowding the box on him.

EJ gets the ball down field and forces the defense to cover the whole field. He has enough escape-ability to let his receivers get down field. You cannot crowd the box on EJ because he can go over the top of the D pretty fast. This is what the great QBs in this league do. He isn't polished yet, but he has been getting better. I have been pondering the whole QB competition from this angle for a while now and at least to me it makes perfect sense. Of course, I might just be seeing things. Maybe I need to just put the computer down, turn the TV off and just wait for the season to start.

I've actually been think about this since before the conspiracy thread was started. Can't get it out of my head!

Edited by Rockinon

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if it was his benching last year or steve deberg helping him this offseason, but i see improvement from last year with ej.His footwork has improved along with his pocket awareness.Couple weeks and hes gone from being cut to starter talk, and still has saturday to prove his haters wrong.Gotta like how he just wont go away.

Plus he had 6 or 7 games as a pro to prove himself and a genius coach to help him. Definitely a hopeless case.

That is exactly what EJ haters always forget. They hated Marrone and his boy toy OC because they didn't have a clue but forget that was what EJ had to work with for direction.

that seems to be the trend

Now we wait for the live action on Saturday to further who the selection may be

Yeah hes gonna have to be absolutly lights out to get the nod, which of course, i feel is possible. But, from the training camp report i heard from Sal today, justseems unlikely today.

Rex is a guy that once he picks his man, thats it, he sticks by him. which is, i think, why Tyrod is so strong in the mix. I think he is just Rex's guy. Like How he stood by Sanchez so strong. We shall see if that type of allegiance is smart.

And its not that i dont like Tyrod, i do, he just scares tge bejeepers outta me.

Edited by mastershake

What is with people that do this, comment on the 'yet another thread' idea? Who are they to decide? So useless...

What a waste of time.

The OP is doing something different, writing an editorial of sorts, one he did not want to get buried in the myriad other threads that so often lose their focus as they progress and progress and...

And he makes an original point, I think, one I have not seen recently. And like many of the posts that I like and that get a lot of traction, he is putting into words what so many of us have had in the back of our minds but have not fully realized, have not put into words.

I think he is right about EJ, what he could bring that the other two probably cannot. Does this mean if I was the coach I would start him in game one? Well, such a rare thing for a coach today to look at the long term as Simon does here. So, almost assuredly not going to happen.

They have a " relationship " . its all good.

Gugny is being obtuse. or witty. not sure.

Yeah hes gonna have to be absolutly lights out to get the nod, which of course, i feel is possible. But, from the training camp report i heard from Sal today, justseems unlikely today.

Rex is a guy that once he picks his man, thats it, he sticks by him. which is, i think, why Tyrod is so strong in the mix. I think he is just Rex's guy. Like How he stood by Sanchez so strong. We shall see if that type of allegiance is smart.

And its not that i dont like Tyrod, i do, he just scares tge bejeepers outta me.

well , honestly they all have me on edge. But we are gonna have to just roll with the Rex/Roman /Whaley/pegulas kid sisters pick.

Lets hope the Coaches and staff know a lot more than we do!

Its actually possible this year BTW.

Rex has said several times that he has not yet picked his man.

That is not accurate but im not gonna bother trying to disprove you. Look it up yourself

They have been running 2 simultaneous practices. EJ may actually have more reps....look it up.

They have been running 2 simultaneous practices. EJ may actually have more reps....look it up.

If it was my call, id start EJ. Im just "readin the tea leaves" man

I believe one of the arguments has been who gets reps against 1s , 2s. or the 3s. and even the scout team. and then which team the Qb has to run also . EJ was running the Indy scout team last i heard /read.

You might be right about qty. ??

whats it all mean though?

to add i would think more reps early in camp is a good thing. But i dont know jack : )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Rockinon, ive been on a posting marathon lately. Didnt mean to be rude.

What i heard Sal say this afternoon is this:

That with the 1's its been Cassel, Tyrod, Cassel, Tyrod, Cassel, Tyrod, EJ. He also said, its possible that EJ will get more now that the practices are closed and back at One Bills Drive, but he just dosent see EJ getting the work with the ones.

"Reading the tea leaves" is a phrase they have been using to describe trying to figure out the starter on WGR, and alot of people have been kinda making fun of that phrase last few days, so thats why i threw it in there.

Like i said, didnt mean no disrespect.

What happens if all 3 QBs get time with the starting Oline, they all have nice drives but EJ is the only one who scores a TD??

means nothing

and i for sure means no disrespect either

Edited by 3rdand12

Very wishful thinking, ignoring the hard facts. EJ did play better in last weeks game but that doesn't mean "problem solved." He certainly needs to show some consistency; we've had our RJ. Hopefully, Manual's progressing, as is Taylor, but it's still pretty much a hung jury at this point.

Sorry Rockinon, ive been on a posting marathon lately. Didnt mean to be rude.

What i heard Sal say this afternoon is this:

That with the 1's its been Cassel, Tyrod, Cassel, Tyrod, Cassel, Tyrod, EJ. He also said, its possible that EJ will get more now that the practices are closed and back at One Bills Drive, but he just dosent see EJ getting the work with the ones.

"Reading the tea leaves" is a phrase they have been using to describe trying to figure out the starter on WGR, and alot of people have been kinda making fun of that phrase last few days, so thats why i threw it in there.

Like i said, didnt mean no disrespect.

I know! Reading the tea leaves is what made me laugh. I have been following Sal too. I just happen to think guys like Sal and Joe B. don't know their arses from a hole in the ground. BTW, no offense was taken. I just have been enjoying all of the back and forth banter. Couldn't leave without throwing in my 2 cents.

Very wishful thinking, ignoring the hard facts. EJ did play better in last weeks game but that doesn't mean "problem solved." He certainly needs to show some consistency; we've had our RJ. Hopefully, Manual's progressing, as is Taylor, but it's still pretty much a hung jury at this point.

Rex did say that the preseason games would factor high in his evaluation. But you are right, it is not "problem solved" as you put it. Actually, hearing the comments from Rex, he is clearly pleased with all of the QBs.

Edited by Rockinon