Astro-Notes: Final Open Practice of Training Camp

Astrobot

It's a cloudy day, about 70 degrees, with a light breeze. I have my clipboard for notes and Tim Horton's Ice Capp to attract yellowjackets. Both worked.

I'm there 20 minutes early, and Garrison Sanborn is playing catch with an assistant coach, so he was the Early Bird. In order, the other players come up the walk from the locker/team rooms adjacent to the field house: Jordan Gay, Wesley Miller (new DB), Ross Cockrell, Matt Cassel, Robert Woods, Andre Fluellen, and Carpenter.. Dex Lewis comes out and stretches all alone on the turf field. Deonte Thompson is next, stopping at the fence to sign autographs for a youngster. Tobais Palmer was with him, but he stood nervously back from the fence (cut the guy). Andre Davis is next, and he has his picture taken with another family, then just with the mother (practice squad behavior). Fred Jackson appears and likewise signs for some kids. None of the players use the JUGS machine today; they all walk slowly right to the grass field. The DL and OL guys turn and move to the third field perpendicular to the turf and grass fields as they always do. You can tell it's the end of camp. It's wearing on the players, who have been away too long from loved ones and familiar beds.

Some informal kick return work is happening on the field before the horn signaling that it's 10:00. I see FredEx, Tobais Palmer, Percy Harvin and Cierre Wood taking kicks.

O'Leary looks a little lost out there, and practice hasn't started yet. I wish I could say he's a lock for the 53, but he's not. The play of Gragg, Marqueis Gray, and Mulligan backing up Clay has likely put O'Leary on the PS unless they keep 5 TEs. That's opinion. Marqueis Gray is over on the sidelines in a three-point stance with the TE coach, moving into blocking. He does this maybe 5 times, receiving specific 1:1 tips. This is the biggest difference I see from practices of the past. It's individualized, targeted remedial teaching on the fine points. They likely saw something on film with Gray and were working on it with reps.

The horn sounds, signaling 10:00. Gilmore and Carrington, who are late, break into an earnest run for their respective gathering places, the music comes on, and stretching begins. Those not in the stretching are Hogan, Harvin, Watkins, and McCoy, but they are doing strength/core work on the sidelines.

I'm sitting with Mike, Varsity coach at Bloomfield, formerly of HF-L. He was helpful at spotting, and between plays tells me an interesting story about Ty Fenti, St. John Fisher's recent QB, who broke all records there. He's 6'3" 220 a Jim Kelly type. He just tried out for CFL but blew out his labrum in the 3rd preseason game. Expect Russ Brandon, a SJF graduate, to at least know about this kid.

Return drills are next. Marqise Goodwin is not the kick returner today. Thigpen and newcomer Austin Willis are, while Goodwin is one of the gunners.

Punt return drills follow, with Schmidt kicking from his 15 to the 32 for a 53-yard boot. His next punt is 55, and then 63 yards. On the next punt, IK "Jawbreaker" Enemkapali is called offsides, then IK almost gets to Schmidt on the ensuing punt. It might have ruffled Schmidt, as the kick only goes 33 yards.

Rex is wearing an orange Bills shirt as are all the coaches. You'll likely see these on Saturday night.

Some passes against air was the next thing I looked at. Tobais "I Didn't Sign Autographs" Palmer makes a one-handed catch on the sidelines, causing the fans to applaud for the first time, but likely too late to save him from The Turk. QBs Cassel and Tyrod are throwing to TE's Cassel is first, and puts the ball in the right place 100% of the time (11 of 11 by my count). He's likely your starter. Tyrod is second, making good passes on 7 of 10 (70%). He's your Number Two. Simultaneously, on the other end of the field, my count on EJ throwing to the WRs was 6 of 7 (85%), throwing too low on the one he missed. He's your 3rd QB. Simms was 100% (6 of 6) against air.

In the first 11 on 11, there were very few passes thrown, but Cassel threw a lame duck which was almost intercepted. Tyrod was 2 for 3 with one too-high pass that needed a taller WR. EJ had 1 of 1, a nice 30-yarder on target. Simms was 3 of 4, one of the receptions being a 40 yard ball and the miss being way too high.

The 7 on 7 wasn't noteworthy other than Cassel was worse. He was 60%, throwing one wide of the mark and one behind Dez Lewis, who threw his arms up like, "Where was that to?"

In the 11 on 11, some things got clear for me. Seantrel and Kujo took reps at LT, with Kujo handling a forceful bullrush by Enemkapali (who's making this team). Cierre Wood looks the best of the 3 new RBs, then it's a wash between BHill and Seale, maybe Seale looks marginally better. Simms had a believable screen pass to Seale, and Cierre Wood took a nice line on a sweep left. Tyrod looked better than any of the QBs in this 11 on 11, throwing to Gragg for a huge gain as Gragg gets separation often (that's why he may make the 53). EJ was in after Tyrod, and throws a rope to O'Leary, right on the money. O'Leary is the most intense TE and is the throwback type football player. Will he make the 53? Whom do you throw out? I liked Marqueis Gray's athleticism, physicality, and effort--something I was told about Percy Harvin and never saw. I liked Marqueis Gray's athleticism, physicality, and effort--something I was told about Percy Harvin and never saw. Deonte Thompson catches a nice EJ ball for 20 and is hit immediately by #20, Graham. Pencil Graham in at S; he's not going anywhere, and neither is Deonte, I bet.

In the next 7 on 7, Tyrod was picture perfect, with 7 of 7 completions (100%), with a nice Mulligan catch (for a blocker, he's making the team on his reliability as a pass catcher), Deonte Thompson on a beautiful crossing route, a great swing pass to Jerome Felton, and a perfect deep ball to Goodwin (which he dropped. Again. 'Bye, #88).

EJ was 2 of 4 (50%), once too far ahead of his receiver so that the DB had a play on the ball, and once too high, causing Dez Lewis's tip that would have been an INT. Completions were to Gray and a crossing pattern to Goodwin.

Even though I'm a big Tyrod fan, I think we're starting the year with Cassel under center. I hope I'm wrong.

I want to thank 3rdand12 for his generous gift, which he gave on behalf of all of you. It was a gift card to Good Smoke BBQ in East Rochester, which both of us HIGHLY recommend if you come to camp next year. Thank You, Eric!

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the report as always Astro. I was there today as well and thought as far as the QB's go, Taylor was most consistent and made the quickest decisions. EJ did some good things mixed with some late throws that hurt him, and Cassel had what I would guess (I've only been in attendance twice in camp this year) was by far his worst day of camp. He was just sooo off in team work and late in 7 on 7. Seemed like the wind affected him out there.

I'm happy that Taylor is now unloading the ball on time which is something I did not see the 1st camp day I attended a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the notes! I don't disagree with you that Cassel seems to be the favorite. But I can't figure out why. I have a gut feeling that we're in for a repeat of an Orton-esque year if Meh Cassel is under center.

Maybe Rex just likes QBs who turn the ball over frequently? That's all he knows, so maybe it's a comfort thing.

It's a cloudy day, about 70 degrees, with a light breeze. I have my clipboard for notes and Tim Horton's Ice Capp to attract yellowjackets. Both worked.

I'm there 20 minutes early, and Garrison Sanborn is playing catch with an assistant coach, so he was the Early Bird. In order, the other players come up the walk from the locker/team rooms adjacent to the field house: Jordan Gay, Wesley Miller (new DB), Ross Cockrell, Matt Cassel, Robert Woods, Andre Fluellen, and Carpenter.. Dex Lewis comes out and stretches all alone on the turf field. Deonte Thompson is next, stopping at the fence to sign autographs for a youngster. Tobais Palmer was with him, but he stood nervously back from the fence (cut the guy). Andre Davis is next, and he has his picture taken with another family, then just with the mother (practice squad behavior). Fred Jackson appears and likewise signs for some kids. None of the players use the JUGS machine today; they all walk slowly right to the grass field. The DL and OL guys turn and move to the third field perpendicular to the turf and grass fields as they always do. You can tell it's the end of camp. It's wearing on the players, who have been away too long from loved ones and familiar beds.

Some informal kick return work is happening on the field before the horn signaling that it's 10:00. I see FredEx, Tobais Palmer, Percy Harvin and Cierre Wood taking kicks.

O'Leary looks a little lost out there, and practice hasn't started yet. I wish I could say he's a lock for the 53, but he's not. The play of Gragg, Marqueis Gray, and Mulligan backing up Clay has likely put O'Leary on the PS unless they keep 5 TEs. That's opinion. Marqueis Gray is over on the sidelines in a three-point stance with the TE coach, moving into blocking. He does this maybe 5 times, receiving specific 1:1 tips. This is the biggest difference I see from practices of the past. It's individualized, targeted remedial teaching on the fine points. They likely saw something on film with Gray and were working on it with reps.

The horn sounds, signaling 10:00. Gilmore and Carrington, who are late, break into an earnest run for their respective gathering places, the music comes on, and stretching begins. Those not in the stretching are Hogan, Harvin, Watkins, and McCoy, but they are doing strength/core work on the sidelines.

I'm sitting with Mike, Varsity coach at Bloomfield, formerly of HF-L. He was helpful at spotting, and between plays tells me an interesting story about Ty Fenti, St. John Fisher's recent QB, who broke all records there. He's 6'3" 220 a Jim Kelly type. He just tried out for CFL but blew out his labrum in the 3rd preseason game. Expect Russ Brandon, a SJF graduate, to at least know about this kid.

Return drills are next. Marqise Goodwin is not the kick returner today. Thigpen and newcomer Austin Willis are, while Goodwin is one of the gunners.

Punt return drills follow, with Schmidt kicking from his 15 to the 32 for a 53-yard boot. His next punt is 55, and then 63 yards. On the next punt, IK "Jawbreaker" Enemkapali is called offsides, then IK almost gets to Schmidt on the ensuing punt. It might have ruffled Schmidt, as the kick only goes 33 yards.

Rex is wearing an orange Bills shirt as are all the coaches. You'll likely see these on Saturday night.

Some passes against air was the next thing I looked at. Tobais "I Didn't Sign Autographs" Palmer makes a one-handed catch on the sidelines, causing the fans to applaud for the first time, but likely too late to save him from The Turk. QBs Cassel and Tyrod are throwing to TE's Cassel is first, and puts the ball in the right place 100% of the time (11 of 11 by my count). He's likely your starter. Tyrod is second, making good passes on 7 of 10 (70%). He's your Number Two. Simultaneously, on the other end of the field, my count on EJ throwing to the WRs was 6 of 7 (85%), throwing too low on the one he missed. He's your 3rd QB. Simms was 100% (6 of 6) against air.

In the first 11 on 11, there were very few passes thrown, but Cassel threw a lame duck which was almost intercepted. Tyrod was 2 for 3 with one too-high pass that needed a taller WR. EJ had 1 of 1, a nice 30-yarder on target. Simms was 3 of 4, one of the receptions being a 40 yard ball and the miss being way too high.

The 7 on 7 wasn't noteworthy other than Cassel was worse. He was 60%, throwing one wide of the mark and one behind Dez Lewis, who threw his arms up like, "Where was that to?"

In the 11 on 11, some things got clear for me. Seantrel and Kujo took reps at LT, with Kujo handling a forceful bullrush by Enemkapali (who's making this team). Cierre Wood looks the best of the 3 new RBs, then it's a wash between BHill and Seale, maybe Seale looks marginally better. Simms had a believable screen pass to Seale, and Cierre Wood took a nice line on a sweep left. Tyrod looked better than any of the QBs in this 11 on 11, throwing to Gragg for a huge gain as Gragg gets separation often (that's why he may make the 53). EJ was in after Tyrod, and throws a rope to O'Leary, right on the money. O'Leary is the most intense TE and is the throwback type football player. Will he make the 53? Whom do you throw out? I liked Marqueis Gray's athleticism, physicality, and effort--something I was told about Percy Harvin and never saw. I liked Marqueis Gray's athleticism, physicality, and effort--something I was told about Percy Harvin and never saw. Deonte Thompson catches a nice EJ ball for 20 and is hit immediately by #20, Graham. Pencil Graham in at S; he's not going anywhere, and neither is Deonte, I bet.

In the next 7 on 7, Tyrod was picture perfect, with 7 of 7 completions (100%), with a nice Mulligan catch (for a blocker, he's making the team on his reliability as a pass catcher), Deonte Thompson on a beautiful crossing route, a great swing pass to Jerome Felton, and a perfect deep ball to Goodwin (which he dropped. Again. 'Bye, #88).

EJ was 2 of 4 (50%), once too far ahead of his receiver so that the DB had a play on the ball, and once too high, causing Dez Lewis's tip that would have been an INT. Completions were to Gray and a crossing pattern to Goodwin.

Even though I'm a big Tyrod fan, I think we're starting the year with Cassel under center. I hope I'm wrong.

I want to thank 3rdand12 for his generous gift, which he gave on behalf of all of you. It was a gift card to Good Smoke BBQ in East Rochester, which both of us HIGHLY recommend if you come to camp next year. Thank You, Eric!

Many thanks for another TC in the books, Astro--and as an old ER guy, love the plug for the local restaurant. Folks may also want to try the Northside Inn, Perlo's and Lemoncello's in ER.

Thanks for the notes! I don't disagree with you that Cassel seems to be the favorite. But I can't figure out why. I have a gut feeling that we're in for a repeat of an Orton-esque year if Meh Cassel is under center.

I think his name is Matt

Maybe you can explain why, despite looking routinely improved, having nigh flawless last practices and showing he can pass from the pocket, people keep saying the smart money is for Cassel to start.

Nope, its Meh... As in "meh!, Cassel is our starter"

"Ladies and gentlemen, I give you our starting QB: Meh Cassel. Why?" *shrugs*

Tyrod. I still say come September 13th it will be Tyrod. Maybe that's hope mixed with the eye test, but knowing Rex is a TT guy tells me regardless of Roman's alleged infatuation with Meh, it's Tyrod's job to lose.

The weapons Tyrod brings are just too numerous to keep warming on the bench for a mediocre game manager.