Bills #1 Overhyped Team For 2015? Nick Kostos Thinks So

H2o

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't necessarily agree with the guy's conclusion about the Bills chances to make the post season, I get his point. The Bills are a press favorite because of Rex's personality. As a head coach, and especially with a team with a poor offense, Rex is a bust. IMO, he did the worst coaching job in the NFL last year, and was close to the bottom the year before.

But we also have Roman, which really hasn't been a focus of the hype, but should figure in to anyone giving honest predictions of the Bills' chances this year.

I'm just hoping Rex learns from his mistakes in NY and improves in his second go-round. Others have done it. I have to root for him, as he is the HC of my favorite team. But let's face it, as a head coach the guy's reputation far exceeds his success-to-date.

this

I share some of these concerns. 15 years of dashed hopes will jade you. A quick scan of perennial playoff teams reads like a who's who of the Leagues best QBs. THEE position that has to win you 3 games on his own merit.

Cautiously optimistic, but 3 QB reasons for wins? Haven't seen it since -well, that little guy in '99..

I just wonder, if all the same moves were made, but Marrone hadn't opted out, would articles like this even be written?

I bet not; Rex has brought with him a ton of attention, and is very divisive among the media. This just seems like pure Rex-hate. If it weren't for Rex I wager you'd be seeing a lot of "Buffalo is my 2016 sleeper team" articles. It's hard to look at this roster and say it's not improved from last season--and they won nine games last season.

http://www.sportsline.com/insiders/25276845/the-most-overhyped-overvalued-nfl-teams-heading-into-2015

We shall see Nick, we shall see. Dude comes off as a closet Patriot nut-hugger.

Pretty much everyone in national media is a Patriot nut-hugger.

That being said, this wouldn't be the first year the Bills laid a dukie on a promising season. As a sports bettor, it has been a pretty safe bet against the bills for the past 15 seasons.

We are a press favorite because everyone likes the blue collar fan, Rex Roman and Thurman are very competent at what they do, we have a top defense, top 5 runner, excellent receivers/TE and havent been in the post season in forever.

Ps. All three of our qb's are likeable, have done well in camp, and one of em has even made the pro bowl. Another reason for the optimism.

Who doesnt like that story?

Ps. I didnt read the clickbait article, but i get the gist.

Nick Kostos is a long time producer for SiriusXM Sports. He's also a big time better and has written about that a few years. He's also a Giants fan I believe.

He's great at predicting games against the spread. I'm a fan of his stuff. However, he's a big believer in QB talent leading to NFL success. It probably drives his philosophy more than anything else.

His opinion of Rex likely comes from inability to develop a QB and producing for Adam Schein, who hates Rex as a NYC guy.

I don't think he was a dead man walking last season---he shot himself. Admittedly the GM did him no favors. But if really was the GM, why did Rex try so hard to keep that job? He was THE hottest HC prospect in the offseason. Why would someone want to keep a job if they feel they are being undermined by their boss, when they have many other options? I'm sorry, I just can't believe their fate was all on the GM.

As hard as we are on Marrone and Hackett (with reason) I think they did a better job of coaching than Rex did to get that team to 8-8. Basically the same circumstances, no?

No doubt. I'm not going to go crazy with optimism based on a couple preseason games. But the Bills QBs are a total train wreck as many have proclaimed--and continue to, it seems.

To your first question I would say both the players and his ego. He cares about his players and that was his team, at least what was left of it. He would have liked to see his players on his team succeed. Ego, he obviously has an ego and saying he couldn't succeed in NY was saying he wasn't good enough to make it work there. Truth was that team was a disaster and his hands were tied by the GM. They wont be any better this year either unless Fitzy has a few strong games in a row.

Marrone and Hackett, don't make me laugh. Marrone was an Oline coach and last year we had pretty much the worst Oline in the league. This year with practically the same line plus a retread and a rookie all the sudden our line looks strong. Marrone was an idiot. Speaking of idiots, if you looked at some play calling last year from Hackett that the majority was a hand off down the middle behind our biggest weakness on 1st down. That didn't go well. Bet they wont think we will do that again, let hand off down the middle 2nd down. Damn, that didn't work either. They would never guess we would try that 3 times in a row. Yes they would. He did that foolishness all year!

Not many people are saying T-Mobile is a train wreck. NFL.com is saying B+.

One key to this season is the OL to have a running game. It will hurt loosing Kromer for the first 6 games unless he's allowed to coach them during the week.

The RB injuries are a concern.

Edited by ALF

I'm normally in agreement with your POV Dean but not only was Rex not near the bottom of the league in 2013, I'd say he might have done the best coaching job of his career that year. Getting that Jets team to 8-8 was a fantastic job. My jaw drops open at anybody who thinks that was a poor job.

As for last year I won't disagree that he did a poor job but I'd say that it's very tough to do a good job when you're a dead man walking the entire season.

Totally agree--that was a team with 3-win talent in 2013. Last year I counted about 6-7 above average players on their entire team (2 DL, Mangold, Ferguson (maybe), Ivory and that was about it). Tough to win with a roster like that and a turnover machine at QB.

I'm normally in agreement with your POV Dean but not only was Rex not near the bottom of the league in 2013, I'd say he might have done the best coaching job of his career that year. Getting that Jets team to 8-8 was a fantastic job. My jaw drops open at anybody who thinks that was a poor job.

As for last year I won't disagree that he did a poor job but I'd say that it's very tough to do a good job when you're a dead man walking the entire season.

I agree with this. As I recall, the Jets were expected to be at the very bottom of the NFL in 2013. They did much better than expected and it was usually in games they weren't predicted to win. The coach has to get some credit for that.

I can't imagine anyone winning when Geno is your best QB. Come on people.

I don't of anyone even Heath Evans saying the Bills are going to win the AFCE. I've heard repetitively the Bills have a so so chance of finally making the playoffs with the x factor in QB production.

To me that is about right. Can one of these three manage the game enough to provide a top half offense somewhere in the 12-15th range, and we have to be a top defense in the NFL along with a top 5 running team. I've never heard of this author so I really don't care about his point of view.

who is talking about the Bills surpassing the pats?? This guys friends who are Bills fans? I have not seen many National guys saying the Bills are better than the Pats...maybe the Bills are a playoff team.

I am. :)

IF the qb position doesn't kill us again, this team can win games and one of these days Brady is going to hit the wall. When qbs lose it, it happens in the bat of an eyelash.