B/R Report: Rex wants to start Tyrod, other coaches split

johnwalter

I love this! People talk about the risk of playing TT and I don't get it. Cassel is a backup QB. He is a guy you can win with for a couple weeks when the starter is out at this point in his career.

You make an excellent point. His game is so limited that after a few games his primary asset in the passing game, short and quick passes, will be taken away by the defenses. At least with TT there is the potential to improve the more he plays. With Cassel the limited range of his game will certainly affect the receivers and even his backs because the defenses will be defending a very limited portion of the field. With TT and his passing and running range the defense will have to defend the whole field.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make an excellent point. His game is so limited that after a few games his primary asset in the passing game, short and quick passes, will be taken away by the defenses. At least with TT there is the potential to improve the more he plays. With Cassel the limited range of his game will certainly affect the receivers and even his backs because the defenses will be defending a very limited portion of the field. With TT and his passing and running range the defense will have to defend the whole field.

Yeah and people act like defenses can just take away the run from TT.

I will be the first to point out that the video exposes all flaws in a QB.

And defenses may be able to take away some of the designed stuff.

But a QB who can scramble for yardage on a designed passing play........or substitute himself for the intended receiver on a sniffed out screen.......that's hard to eliminate.

And even harder when you have receivers who can stretch the field vertically.

I also think that the threat of him running the ball creates a bit more room for McCoy........and makes McCoy a more dangerous player.

Running behind Cassel is going to lead to a lot of initial contract taking place behind the LOS for Bills RB's because teams will try to crash the pocket if he is in there.

If Taylor keeps up his preseason act his feet will force defenses to become reactionary instead of attacking.

But a QB who can scramble for yardage on a designed passing play........or substitute himself for the intended receiver on a sniffed out screen.......that's hard to eliminate.

I also think that the threat of him running the ball creates a bit more room for McCoy........and makes McCoy a more dangerous player.

Running behind Cassel is going to lead to a lot of initial contract taking place behind the LOS for Bills RB's because teams will try to crash the pocket if he is in there.

If Taylor keeps up his preseason act his feet will force defenses to become reactionary instead of attacking.

Yep. And if they decide to take away his running on scrambles it will leave an already overmatched back seven (no matter who we play) trying to single cover Sammy, Harvin, Clay, Woods, Goodwin or McCoy out of the backfield. If TT shows well this week in the passing game, and doesn't make bad decisions, I don't see how they don't start him.

That's what people don't understand. Everyone's all, "well he looked decent in the two preseason games." But Sal and the other guy acknowledged that he looked decent in the two preseason games but said that unfortunately, he dug too big a hole for himself during camp. They both said that they and every single last person they've spoken with has EJ third. Not just that the coaches have him third on the depth chart, but that he was visibly the third best QB throughout camp to anyone who was paying any attention. They also said that unless something totally unforeseen takes place that there's no chance of him starting opening day. That is reality folks. Now, back to fantasy land...

I will issue one final statement on the matter and then I am taking an oath to not comment on the QB situation until September 13th. I promise.

That's what people don't understand. Everyone's all, "well he looked decent in the two preseason games." But Sal and the other guy acknowledged that he looked decent in the two preseason games but said that unfortunately, he dug too big a hole for himself during camp. They both said that they and every single last person they've spoken with has EJ third. Not just that the coaches have him third on the depth chart, but that he was visibly the third best QB throughout camp to anyone who was paying any attention. They also said that unless something totally unforeseen takes place that there's no chance of him starting opening day. That is reality folks. Now, back to fantasy land...

They also said he's looked the best the last two weeks and it may be helping his rise. I'm personally not looking to name him the starter week 1. If he plays well against Pittsburgh it may sway my opinion. I'm just tired of some on here calling him a "bust"! The guy played 15 games in the NFL and if you compare his 15 game stats to other "franchise" QBs in the league his numbers are comparable. I, for one, am looking forward to his continued development under G-Ro and staff.

Ha, now when a QB completes a pass, it's the OC?

I certainly understand why the coaches would want the most consistent QB...it's safe. The thing is, the safe, consistent guy, often isn't the guy that can inspire their teammates, and create a belief that they can comeback from a 2 score deficit, or 2-minute drives... pressure situations.

Cassel better be the most consistent, because they will be inching down the field against a stacked box, and will need to convert on 3rd down more often. It's going to take lots of good game management decisions from the coaching staff to keep things going if they dink and dunk...not a Rex Ryan strength (Roman will be running the offense, but the HC gets involved).

I'm not going to claim that EJM or TT are great inspirational leaders, but I think they are growing. Cassel's established track record is, well....meh. I dread watching them try to come back from a two score deficit. Cassel just doesn't have the the firepower to do that "consistently".

No, my point is the OC set up an easy read and pass for the QB on a big play and that shouldn't be overlooked. I just don't believe these 3 QB's would have the same amount of success we've been seeing if we still had Marrone and Hackett.

And for the record, I think TT gives us the best chance to win and he should be the starter week 1. He is simply more dynamic and creates more problems for opposing defenses.

Edited by AdamK

They also said he's looked the best the last two weeks and it may be helping his rise. I'm personally not looking to name him the starter week 1. If he plays well against Pittsburgh it may sway my opinion. I'm just tired of some on here calling him a "bust"! The guy played 15 games in the NFL and if you compare his 15 game stats to other "franchise" QBs in the league his numbers are comparable. I, for one, am looking forward to his continued development under G-Ro and staff.

15? I thought it was only 14. 10 then 4.

What really surprised me about TT was not his running ability. That attribute was already recognized to the point that some were using it as a criticism of his style of play. It was his polished throwing ability that I wasn't aware of. He is accurate, has a relatively strong arm and is capable of throwing with a good touch. He is capable of throwing to all areas of the field while Cassel can't.

If TT can be half as smart and judicious as Russell Wilson (not putting him in the same category as a player) he has a much greater upside than the limited Cassel. In my estimation not only is TT a better player than Cassel but he also provides an additional dimension to our offense.

From the small sample size of his play I found that his style of play is not undisciplined. His instincts are sound and he has a good feel for pressure. For my taste (survivability factor) he runs across downfield too much, but that unbridled tendency can be toned down with good coaching and a receptive player.

Edited by JohnC

15? I thought it was only 14. 10 then 4.

Do you even watch the games? This just leads me to believe that you're rooting for EJ because of his school, skin color, or something else. But EJ Manuel of the Buffalo Bills has played in 15 games. He has started 14. 10 and then 5.

Edited by VABills

Do you even watch the games? This just leads me to believe that you're rooting for EJ because of his school, skin color, or something else. But EJ Manuel of the Buffalo Bills has played in 15 games. He has started 14. 10 and then 5.

Are we really counting the game where he didn't attempt any passes as a game? If I remember correctly he handed off to Boobie Dixon 3 times and we punted in his only series against the Jets.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15803/ej-manuel

Are we really counting the game where he didn't attempt any passes as a game? If I remember correctly he handed off to Boobie Dixon 3 times and we punted in his only series against the Jets.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15803/ej-manuel

He still got in the game. It's just like folks saying the TT has been in 14 games and has crappy stats. Usually because he'd play 2 minutes at the end of blowout with all of the scrubs.

He still got in the game. It's just like folks saying the TT has been in 14 games and has crappy stats. Usually because he'd play 2 minutes at the end of blowout with all of the scrubs.

The difference is EJ has no stats from that game.

I don't see many people, if any, saying that. Most of what I see about Tyrod is that he hasn't shown well in limited time and he's never started a game.

There's a really nice fan post here from Buffalo Rumblings where Dan Love breaks down every Taylor pass and run: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/8/24/9186979/tyrod-taylor-scouting-report-bills-vs-browns-nfl-preseason-week-2

It's worth looking at some of those Vines, where you can see Taylor going through progressions before delivering a strike, looking off the defense, step up in the pocket at the blitz and check his blindside the second he gets into space on a scramble.

You're really pushing it.

I haven't seen anyone say that TT has "been in 14 games and has crappy stats". I've seen people say that he hasn't started a game and hasn't shown well in very limited regular season exposure, but no one is on here claiming TT has 14 NFL games because of his average of 2-3 plays per game. This board is generally pretty knowledgeable and they'd be laughed off if they tried.

Which is why most people here and most press tag EJ with 14 games.