Tyrod Taylor Confidence Meter

Tyrod Taylor Confidence Meter  

290 members have voted

1. 1. What are the chances that Tyrod Taylor can become a "franchise" QB in 2015?

You just defined "franchise QB" the way you wanted it defined for the poll, which was the point I was making. It's easier to give an opinion if one understands the question being asked. If you had asked, "what are the chances Tyrod plays like a QB in the top half of the league this year" my vote would have been very different.

That's what I did in the original post. I would say Tannehill/Alex Smith is right about the middle of the league.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is hung up on "franchise QB." The point of this thread wasn't to define what franchise QB means because everyone's interpretation is so different. The question is "how confident are you that Tyrod can play in the top 1/2 of the league and be the unquestioned starter moving forward?"

To use a poll and get valid data one should use the proper criteria. Otherwise the poll gives false results.

To use a poll and get valid data one should use the proper criteria. Otherwise the poll gives false results.

That's exactly why I defined it. I tried to set the baseline so that everyone was voting with the same criteria. I cannot control of people choose to ignore the question asked and change the criteria.

Personally, I think that there is about a 1 out of 3 chance that he achieves that. I wouldn't have said that a month ago. I would have been closer to 15%. It still isn't likely IMO but it is definitely possible.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Matt Ryan is to me. Drew Bree's certainly is. There are some other examples.

Don't get hung up on the semantics. It was a term used and then defined to level the playing field for those voting. It wasn't to debate the term. It was "can he play at ____ level?"

Sorry to hijack.

Admittedly, it's a vague term defined by all a little differently

Aren't 'franchise QBs' supposed to drag the team out of the gutter and win, or at least always in the competition?

If a franchise QB has a bad season, is he one anymore?

If he's great statistically but chokes in the playoffs every year, what about then?

If he was one for another team, then goes to a different one, is he still a franchise QB?

etc...

OR

Is he just that guy that you don't EVER let go because he is the path of least resistance to winning you a championship? Even though he's exhibited/not exhibited one of the above traits?

• 4 months later...

If Jay Cutler and Alex Smith qualify as "franchise quarterbacks" Tyrod, in his first season as a starter, has numbers eerily close to both of them.

Remember last offseason when a lot of pundits wanted the Bills to trade for Cutler or Bradford and take on their contracts?

Still would take Cutty.

I guess i need franchise QB defined?

Are we saying Franchise QB, referring to top 10 QB in the NFL or

Starting QB for the Buffalo Bills franchise for the next 5 years.

Either way I think it is a little early to tell.

Exactly. "Franchise QB" means different things to different people. Do I think he can play well enough to get us to win some playoff games if everything else goes well? YES. Do I think he can play like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady and carry a team to a Championship? NO.

I love me some Tyrod.

Still wouldn't change my vote from 1-25%

If Jay Cutler and Alex Smith qualify as "franchise quarterbacks" Tyrod, in his first season as a starter, has numbers eerily close to both of them.

Remember last offseason when a lot of pundits wanted the Bills to trade for Cutler or Bradford and take on their contracts?

I don't know if they do.

I must have a higher standard of a franchise QB.

My Definition:

A QB that will LEAD their team to more VICTORIES in place of an AVERAGE NFL QB (.e. if Tony Romo is replaced by an AVERAGE NFL QB the team does not win. If the Colts replace an average NFL QB with Andrew Luck the Colts win more games) AND can CONSISTENTLY perform well in high pressure situations (2 minute Drill, 4th QTR. Game Ending Drives).

TT is not a franchise QB by my definition. If you put Philip Rivers on the 2015 Buffalo Bills, they're probably an 11-5 team this season maybe better.

Cutler is debatable but likely not a franchise QB.

I believe that Alex Smith is an average QB I don't know if the Chiefs do worse if Matthew Stafford or Ryan Tannehill were a QB. I don't know how much LEADING ALex Smith does. I don't believe I've seen much "clutch" play by Alex Smith.

I love me some Tyrod.

Still wouldn't change my vote from 1-25%

I don't know if they do.

I must have a higher standard of a franchise QB.

My Definition:

A QB that will LEAD their team to more VICTORIES in place of an AVERAGE NFL QB (.e. if Tony Romo is replaced by an AVERAGE NFL QB the team does not win. If the Colts replace an average NFL QB with Andrew Luck the Colts win more games) AND can CONSISTENTLY perform well in high pressure situations (2 minute Drill, 4th QTR. Game Ending Drives).

TT is not a franchise QB by my definition. If you put Philip Rivers on the 2015 Buffalo Bills, they're probably an 11-5 team this season maybe better.

Cutler is debatable but likely not a franchise QB.

I believe that Alex Smith is an average QB I don't know if the Chiefs do worse if Matthew Stafford or Ryan Tannehill were a QB. I don't know how much LEADING ALex Smith does. I don't believe I've seen much "clutch" play by Alex Smith.

The reason that we used those guys is so that everyone is voting with the same baseline. Everyone has a different definition so we had to establish a universal scale so that people are voting on the same thing.

We did it last week for EJ and apparently it wasn't without bias. Let's apply the exact same question to Tyrod.

There is so much talk on the topic that I thought that a poll may be appropriate. What are the odds in your opinion that Tyrod Taylor can be a "franchise" type QB this year? As a baseline I would say, Alex Smith / Ryan Tannehill represent the low end. Basically what are the odds that he can achieve that level of play.

I'm actually surprised by the low level of confidence of the majority. I think it must have to do with the mystical connotations attached to the words "franchise QB".

Franchise QB this year? 0%

this made me chuckle........(only cause I've been dogging EJ)

then immediately went to...oh chit....what did i say back then.......guess i missed this thread, i'm not in it, dang, how'd that happen

anyways, congrats Promo....you were on TT early

TT = pretty dang close to a Franchise QB

The reason that we used those guys is so that everyone is voting with the same baseline. Everyone has a different definition so we had to establish a universal scale so that people are voting on the same thing.

I think the universe where Alex Smith and Cutler are "Franchise QBs" is a universe I don't want to be in.

If you change the vote to "Average performing NFL Caliber Starting QB" which is what I would call Alex Smith and Cutler. (They are both certainly NFL Caliber starting QBs. Not at the top of their game but not below average. Whereas someone like Schaub or whoever is going to start in Houston is most certainly not an NFL caliber starting QB anymore. ) Then I would definitely change my vote to 76-99%.

TT deserves to play and likely deserves to start in the NFL. He has demonstrated that he is NFL caliber. Hopefully TT will only get better with more reps and build a resume where he consistently steps and performs in high pressure situations (which is what he did at VT). Consistently winning over an average replacement and consistently performing well in high pressure situation are two key qualities of a "Franchise" QB in my opinion. TT has certainly not demonstrated either but will likely be given the opportunity to prove that in 2016. Imo there is 1-25% chance he proves he is a "Franchise QB"