Kelvin Benjamin tears ACL

boyst

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone with a medical background and/or strength training/PT background attempt a theory as to what is going on with NFL players tearing ACL seemingly so often? What gets me is that the ACL tears happen frequently on non/low contact plays.

My thought is something I've seen others propose--that these guys have become SO big and SO muscular that their inertia when going one direction and then switching quickly to another creates a load that is too much for the knee to handle. It can't take the force of the change of direction and then tears.

Now, I have no data that shows there are more ACL/knee ligament injuries than back in the day, but when OLineman used to be 240 pounds it's just a totally different scenario for the body.

I also liken this to Tiger Woods' situation. He had already had knee troubles fairly early in his career because of the sheer viciousness of his swing, especially the snapping motion of his left knee through impact. His trainers/doctors told him not to get above 180 lbs because his knee couldn't handle the load, yet he ignored them and bulked up to almost 200 lbs, having an especially large upper body.

Are these guys TOO big and muscular for their own good?

Also, this got me thinking. I'm surprised that sports doctors haven't yet come out with a way to provide reinforcement to the ligaments of athletes, especially in the knees, in an effort to prevent tears. These guys and girls are absolute beasts compared to athletes of years ago, yet the vulnerabilities of the joints and ligaments remain unchanged. Yes, the treatments are better for tears, but I just wonder when someone will be proactive about things like ACL tears and actually create procedures to help prevent these injuries.

i think you're right. Football is rife with roids and this is a consequence. I also think tiger was on them. These guys have way too much to gain and the testing is a complete joke.

overtraining and not enough recovery time. Guys of all sizes are going down, not just bigger ones like benjamin. Stretching is probably the worst thing ... ligaments shouldn't be stretched, all that does is weaken them

stretching has no effect on ligaments because they are not connected to muscles. I think you're talking About tendons.

Ligaments connect bone to bone. They are not ever stretched intentionally.

i think you're right. Football is rife with roids and this is a consequence. I also think tiger was on them. These guys have way too much to gain and the testing is a complete joke.

Tiger was a massive over trainer. Not just with weights as his body showed, but on tournament days if he had an afternoon round he would go for 4 mile runs in the morning Edited by JTSP

How many routes in practice does he need? Training camp was meant to get guys that worked other jobs or drank all off-season back in shape.

They need to cut back the training 30 or maybe even 50%. As long as everyone has the same time it is a level playing field.

What a waste.

Yep.

Quinn has everyone buying in. I got Atl winning 9-10, it just might be enough.

The Saints are on a quick decline, TB with a rookie QB, I think Carolina is still Atl's main competition for the division.

Agree but I think Atlanta wins it at 8-8.

Falcons 8-8

Panthers 7-9

Saints 6-10

Buccs 3-13

Agree but I think Atlanta wins it at 8-8.

Falcons 8-8

Panthers 7-9

Saints 6-10

Buccs 3-13

But as we all know here, the difference between 8-8 and 9-7 is simply playing the Pats* in week 17 :devil:

Atlanta plays the Saints week 17, and depending on their record by then the Saints may not be in it to win it

But as we all know here, the difference between 8-8 and 9-7 is simply playing the Pats* in week 17 :devil:

Atlanta plays the Saints week 17, and depending on their record by then the Saints may not be in it to win it

the saints and falcons have a special dislike for each other. and id be surprised if the division leader is at 8 wins and the saints are multiple games behind. i know they have a rough outlook but things would have to get VERY UGLY for that. possible, but even in meltdown years they havent been THAT bad.

The falcons have to be better this year. They drafted for their defense but it still may be another draft before they get over the hump. Carolina has the defense but losing kb is a huge blow...funchess needs to have a big year and he's had a solid camp but also hurt his hamstring yesterday. Saints and bucs will be picking top ten.

I think Funchess the rookie who is now expected to be the #1 WR got a hamstring injury in practice today. Panther fans must be suicidal.

even if he's healthy, he's in no way a #1 WR. A nice red zone threat, maybe. But he can't play outside and should be a TE in the NFL. IMO of course. And his hands - woof.

the saints and falcons have a special dislike for each other. and id be surprised if the division leader is at 8 wins and the saints are multiple games behind. i know they have a rough outlook but things would have to get VERY UGLY for that. possible, but even in meltdown years they havent been THAT bad.

I think the bags come back out in NO this year...

I think the bags come back out in NO this year...

Saints fans would go nuts but I wonder if Drew Brees gets put on the block if they start out slow. He's 36, high cap hit and could get a return. They would end up with a top 5 pick and at least another first if someone made the move.