John Oliver on scummy televangelists

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Oliver is pretty funny, but aren't televangelists a passe target? I don't think anyone's eyes are going to be opened by an expose on televangelists. Jim and Tammy Fay pretty much blew the lid off all that 30 years ago.

Edited by KD in CT

https://archive.org/details/Marjoe.1972.Legendado

Marjoe is the story of an abused child preacher who grows up to become an Evangelical con man, living a double life as a dope-smoking, girl-chasing hippie in LA. The documentary went on to win the 1972 Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature and earned massive amounts of critical acclaim. But despite the accolades and outrageous story, the film was only played in a handful of theaters on the coasts and was never screened below the Bible Belt. It was eventually forgotten and thought to be lost for good due to the only known copy being badly damaged. However, in 2002, the original negative was rediscovered and the film was released three years later on DVD, introducing Marjoeto a new generation with a greater appetite for films that were critical of religious institutions.

http://www.vice.com/read/marjoe-director-sarah-kernochan-talks-about-her-incredible-doc-on-the-evangelical-conman-456

Edited by Pete

John Oliver is pretty funny, but aren't televangelists a passe target? I don't think anyone's eyes are going to be opened by an expose on televangelists. Jim and Tammy Fay pretty much blew the lid off all that 30 years ago.

The point of JO's show was that today they are, contrary to what you might expect, still alive, kicking, and draining lots of fools of the little resources they have.

Maybe the IRS could tighten up the parts of the tax code that deal with "churches" just a wee bit without causing a massive collapse of society...?

If stupid people want to waste money then good for them. I can't blame someone for knowing how to take advantage of the dumb for some money. That is what life is about.

Yeah, and the really awesome part is laughing at the lame fools who're gonna end up paying for the dumbfolks' medical care and other life expenses after they've given all of their $$ to the hucksters! :lol::lol:

Wait, hold on... :censored:

Marjoe blew that lid off in 1972. That documentary I linked is one of the better ones I have ever seen. Check it out

When is Oliver going to run an expose on smug comedians who are commie plants and constantly advocate for government control of everything by cherry picking bad guys and then projecting their guilt onto everyone in that sector of society?

Oh......we'll probably have to wait a while for that.

Edited by 4merper4mer

When is Oliver going to run an expose on smug comedians who are commie plants and constantly advocate for government control of everything by cherry picking bad guys and then projecting their guilt onto everyone in that sector of society?

:beer:

Commie plant? Yes, you're going to have to wait awhile for that. You realize plants cannot speak, right? So how can they host their own show? Would it be subtitled? What kind of plants are communists anyways? According to google image, these are:

GUACO.jpg

But I'm not sure they're capable of hosting a TV show quite yet. Maybe with another thousand years of evolution they'll get there.

Aren't they all? Is this really a shocking revelation?

The point wasn't that it's a scam, the point was how easy it is for such scam artists to get tax exemption status.

Side point, not to get too preachy, but these scam artists aren't Christians, and give true Christians a bad name. Nothing in the bible promises prosperity or good physical health during your time on earth.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe