John Oliver on scummy televangelists

can someone please send in $5 for me? I live in PA and according to the church's website they cannot accept donations from Pennsylvania. If someone will do that, they will be rewarded greatly as will I because my intention was, in fact, to donate. Thank you and Praise Legal!

Are you suggesting you know for certain NOBODY on this board is against all taxes? There are several groups in the USA who preach just that (some of them "religious" groups). Now I admit, I don't know for certain there are any hear who believe that. But just as I don't know for certain any here are gay (or albino for that matter) I just assume a few here probably are. I could be wrong. Why did you feel the necessity to pop in? Did you feel like you were suspect? :lol: A response to suggesting some tax on profitable religious organizations was met with the response of "Why not give everyone's money to the government" as if that was an in-kind rebuttal.

And the idea some might believe all taxes should be abolished really isn't that far fetched (even though, to me, it seems like it should be). Apparently we have someone who believes it's OK to scam money from dumb people. After all "that's what life is all about"

You're babbling Dean. And yes I'm suggesting that even those here recommending for the smallest of government would never want to do away with taxes completely. That's absurd Edited by Chef Jim

You're babbling Dean. And yes I'm suggesting that even those here recommending for the smallest of government would never want to do away with taxes completely. That's absurd

Yes, it is absurd. Doesn't mean some don't believe it.

Edit: I'm not even sure some "believe" it. But some espouse it.

Edited by The Dean

When is Oliver going to run an expose on smug comedians who are commie plants and constantly advocate for government control of everything by cherry picking bad guys and then projecting their guilt onto everyone in that sector of society?

Oh......we'll probably have to wait a while for that.

:thumbsup:

Yes, it is absurd. Doesn't mean some don't believe it.

Edit: I'm not even sure some "believe" it. But some espouse it.

I can't say I've never heard anyone espouse such a thing, but if I have I certainly can't recall it. I've heard people advocate for the abolition of income tax and/or property tax - positions that are not inconsistent with supporting state funded roads - but never a wholesale abolition of taxes generally. Edited by Rob's House

I can't say I've never heard anyone espouse such a thing, but I can't recall ever having heard anyone espouse the abolition of taxation generally. I've heard people espouse for the abolition of income tax and/or property tax - positions that are not inconsistent with supporting state funded roads - but never a wholesale abolition of taxes generally.

Of course not. But then there are those that equate limited government to no government. Ok I'm done here lest this goes to PPP

Edited by Chef Jim

Are you suggesting you know for certain NOBODY on this board is against all taxes? There are several groups in the USA who preach just that (some of them "religious" groups). Now I admit, I don't know for certain there are any hear who believe that. But just as I don't know for certain any here are gay (or albino for that matter) I just assume a few here probably are. I could be wrong. Why did you feel the necessity to pop in? Did you feel like you were suspect? :lol: A response to suggesting some tax on profitable religious organizations was met with the response of "Why not give everyone's money to the government" as if that was an in-kind rebuttal.

And the idea some might believe all taxes should be abolished really isn't that far fetched (even though, to me, it seems like it should be). Apparently we have someone who believes it's OK to scam money from dumb people. After all "that's what life is all about".

What? I have no idea what you are getting at. If you are against all taxes, but like roads, I'd say you have some rethinking to do. I didn't say you thought that. Again, why did you feel the need to pop in? Did it seem like I was talking about you? :lol:

For fun.

I also have never seen a "zero tax" argument. It felt like you were mischaracterizing a position to an unrealistic and frankly ridiculous absolute. Which is why I found your "where are you getting the idea that I want all money to go to the government" amusing, as it's exactly what I perceived you doing, just at a different target.

Edited by FireChan

For fun.

I also have never seen a "zero tax" argument. It felt like you were mischaracterizing a position to an unrealistic and frankly ridiculous absolute. Which is why I found your "where are you getting the idea that I want all money to go to the government" amusing, as it's exactly what I perceived you doing, just at a different target.

I can understand why you would be skeptical. But there are, indeed, people who have even more extreme and preposterous positions on taxation than you. That you assumed you subscribed to the most radical anti-tax position in our society is interesting though.

I can understand why you would be skeptical. But there are, indeed, people who have even more extreme and preposterous positions on taxation than you. That you assumed you subscribed to the most radical anti-tax position in our society is interesting though.

I meant "us" as in posters on this board. I swear. :rolleyes:

Edited by FireChan

So who are these people that back a zero tax? Are they referring to a zero income tax? And if so I think it's safe to say 99.99% of them also back a consumption tax.

So who are these people that back a zero tax? Are they referring to a zero income tax? And if so I think it's safe to say 99.99% of them also back a consumption tax.

I don't have time now to Google, but I am aware some believe taxation, of any sort, is against God's will. Any money given should be so willingly- or tithed to a church, but not a gov't. Also, my guess is anarchists aren't real bit on taxes of any sort, since they don't recognize the authority of any gov't to collect them.