Taylor NOT a one read and run QB (play by play look)

Hamilton opined that no team would even pick up EJ if he were to be released. :lol: He's not even that good at covering hockey and him as a football analyst is a cruel joke. EJ is certainly enigmatic and inconsistent, but he's actually won games in the NFL and has talent.

So have a lot of currently unemployed just as talented QBs.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good analysis. I like Taylor. If he can pick up just a few things from the veteran Cassel to add to his skill set. He's our long tern starter if he can stay healthy. I'd much rather see him use his legs to buy him time to throw the ball more and keep his running to a minimum, but when he does run, he's going to burn the defense for big chunks of yards. He reminds me a lot of Michael Vick in his prime although I'd like to see him really develop as a true passer as well.

can we please stop with the "He's to small, only last 5-6 games due to size" stuff??...Taylor is 6' 1" 215 lbs. which puts him in the same size category as D. Brees (6' 0" 209 lbs.), RGIII (6' 2" 222 lbs.), T. Romo (6' 2" 230 lbs.) and is bigger then R. Willson (5' 11" 206 lbs.)....all 4 of these QBs are starters for their respective teams and all 4 would be welcome to start for the Bills if they needed a job and all 4 would not be called to small by the Fans if they came to Buffalo to play...Personally I'm rooting for EJ just cuz Id like to see a 1st rd pick of ours make it, but I have no problem with Taylor if he's what the FO feels they are looking for to run this offense...

...ok sry...everyone can back to the topic now...lol

Completely agree. Don't judge by their height/weight, but judge by the plays they make. The only issue people usually harp on is how does a small QB play in the cold and windy buffalo come November/December and possibly in January. Everyone always pointed out to the success of Jim Kelly and how his strong arm helped beat the weather. People forget that Kelly had weapons like Thomas and Reed and was not necessarily ripping the ball downfield every play.

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blitz Blog: It's a critical week for #Bills QB Tyrod Taylor ... http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/17/its-a-critical-week-for-bills-qb-tyrod-taylor/

GM Doug Whaley on Tyrod Taylor: “He’s got everything you’re looking for. We just have to make sure he can produce when his time’s called.”

Whaley expects #Browns to try to keep TT in pocket. Big test. "If he produces, hey, it’s up to him. ...It’d be a big step forward."

And Whaley had R. Wilson on mind in acquiring TT: "I mean, yeah. Yeah. Obviously him and how Greg had Kaepernick, that’s the new-age guy."

Definite excitement from Whaley in talking about Tyrod Taylor but he wants to see how he performs in pocket vs #Browns.

Whaley said everyone knows what TT does w/ feet, but he was "impressed with a couple of his throws," notes deep ball thru Thompson's hands.

I think TT would be great to bring in on special packages in our first game against Indy, which I think Cassel will start.

He is the exact opposite of Cassel, and there would be basically zero film of him running Romans offense. If you are prepared for a dink and dunk pocket passer and then Tyrod comes in this could be a nightmare for Indy's defense.

His best asset seems to be mobility without the INT numbers that most running qb's like vick and Kap put up.

I think it crazy of me to even consider it but i do.

they play two QBs. TT and the other one.

TT will still demand respect from his arm. and i don't mean any wildcat

Nobody does this in the NFL. But isnt that enough reason to consider it?

Tyrod IS a real pass threat. Just not a pocket passer. EJ is a real run threat.

I am still thinking EJ and TT are the two in front and if that fails Cassel could start.

flame me, i dont mind

I can agree with that but he is exposed to a lot more insider information than 99% of this board.

There are some pretty interesting characters here upon the board. Not sure about that 99% ranking Old..

: )

PS the Brownies scrimmage will reveal a bit more. looking forward to the live bullets for each of our QBs.

I'm starting to wonder why the Bills don't just give him the job. He's been talked up since the start of camp. Let him roll with the 1's and let's see where it goes.

They won't and shouldn't. Let him prove that he deserves to be the man. This week is his opportunity and let's hope he seizes it.

They won't and shouldn't. Let him prove that he deserves to be the man. This week is his opportunity and let's hope he seizes it.

You're right, they won't. But it doesn't mean they shouldn't. Cassel's the known quantity. If QB is going to be the shortcoming of the team (and with both, it will be), go for the home run.

You're right, they won't. But it doesn't mean they shouldn't. Cassel's the known quantity. If QB is going to be the shortcoming of the team (and with both, it will be), go for the home run.

I listened to Sal's Saturday show on demand yesterday and he said something which really resonated with me. The process is important. It is particularly important for Tyrod Taylor but it is important for the team as well. They need to feel he has won the job and shown himself to be the guy. It is also important to recognise that there are a number of steps that he needed to take from coming in to establishing himself as the starter. Thursday is another big step. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I see just a tad more patience and going through progressions when he is in the pocket because I have every confidence that he has enough arm and enough speed and ability in his legs that if he is staying in and giving plays that split second longer to develop he will make the right decision enough of the time to be a good starter in this league.

If Tyrod lights it up Thursday the campaign to name him starter begins in earnest IMO.

I listened to Sal's Saturday show on demand yesterday and he said something which really resonated with me. The process is important. It is particularly important for Tyrod Taylor but it is important for the team as well. They need to feel he has won the job and shown himself to be the guy. It is also important to recognise that there are a number of steps that he needed to take from coming in to establishing himself as the starter. Thursday is another big step. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I see just a tad more patience and going through progressions when he is in the pocket because I have every confidence that he has enough arm and enough speed and ability in his legs that if he is staying in and giving plays that split second longer to develop he will make the right decision enough of the time to be a good starter in this league.

If Tyrod lights it up Thursday the campaign to name him starter begins in earnest IMO.

I hear you , Bill. I'm just questioning the "process" of the QB competition. It's been a bit scrambled IMO. I'll cross my fingers he (TT) puts in a strong showing on Thursday so he can end this. I feel the offense could really benefit knowing who's behind center because each QB offers a drastically different playing style.

Completely agree. Don't judge by their height/weight, but judge by the plays they make. The only issue people usually harp on is how does a small QB play in the cold and windy buffalo come November/December and possibly in January. Everyone always pointed out to the success of Jim Kelly and how his strong arm helped beat the weather. People forget that Kelly had weapons like Thomas and Reed and was not necessarily ripping the ball downfield every play.

Does anyone remember Russell Wilson coming into the Ralph in Dec a couple of years ago? His small hands really hurt him, eh.

If TT lights it up Thursday and they don't immediately name him the starter for the season, then we're in big trouble.