Taylor NOT a one read and run QB (play by play look)

Much appreciated. I'm glad you had the same opinion of the horse collar play. People kept saying he had gray open but I didn't think gray turned his head or body until after TT was past the LOS running. To me it looked like he was definitely looking to throw but no one was open or ready for a pass. But I don't have a way to replay the game, so I don't know if I am just misremembering this play or what.

Game replays on NFLN monday morning at 2:30 eastern if u have it

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind when the QB runs often even if he has the option to throw if running is open. It's usually the safest option. Throwing on the run can result in an incompletion, drop or interception while taking a running gain is smart. Unless someone is behind the D and a TD is very possible.

A smart running QB is no more likely to get hurt than someone like Cassel who is tied to the pocket and will take hits. The QB has to be smart about getting out of bounds or down quickly - something Wilson is very good at.

I also don't think a defense can game plan and shut down a running QB that easily. Sure, if they focus on the run they can keep him in the pocket better but then something else is open and he's got to be able to deliver the ball.

In order to be"Russell Wilson Dangerous" he has to be able to pass well too which Friday night he didn't show he could. The one Goodwin across the field was his best pass of the day IMHO.

WHEN I SEE HIM DROP BACK AND Hit A 15 YARD sideline pass or one 15 yards over the middle then I'll start to billeive in TYrod.

The running stuff is fun, but it's not sustainable or a formula for winning IMHO. Not saying he can't, just wanna see it. Thursday I hope.

He's been hitting those daily in camp, and did nothing to suggest he couldn't during that game, with a couple nice balls and reads. I know that's a small sample size, but still, it's not like that game was an indictment on his passing game in the slightest.

I appreciate the OPs time and effort in going back through the plays. I have watched them back again and compared what I see to what the OP sees and I have to say I still don't entirely agree with his conclusions and I think there are still 3 maybe 4 plays that I consider he has gone first read then run.... It is, of course, simply impossible for us to know when we don't have the play calls and the route concepts in front of us and I think the OP's interpretations of what he is seeing are an entirely valid interpretation although I don't necessarily agree with them.

I still feel I need to see more of him hanging in there and getting to his 2nd and 3rd guy. If he can show something that makes me more comfortable that he can on Thursday (and again it will be impossible to absolutely know for sure) then I will be calling for him to be named the starting Quarterback after Thursday's game.

I've been optimistic all summer of making the play-offs based on the idea of a Quarterback just being an accurate distributor and game manager.... if Tyrod Taylor means we have a Quarterback who is in himself a weapon to add to all our other offensive weapons and this defense? We might be Superbowl contenders. I'm trying not to get too carried away but the possibilities are mouthwatering.

Lets see how he does against the Browns first team defense this week.. He's fun to watch (Cassell is like watching grass grow). He's not getting you to the promised land, but if he stays away from turnovers, he would be OK this year from a productivity standpoint, and he is entertaining...

I appreciate the OPs time and effort in going back through the plays. I have watched them back again and compared what I see to what the OP sees and I have to say I still don't entirely agree with his conclusions and I think there are still 3 maybe 4 plays that I consider he has gone first read then run.... It is, of course, simply impossible for us to know when we don't have the play calls and the route concepts in front of us and I think the OP's interpretations of what he is seeing are an entirely valid interpretation although I don't necessarily agree with them.

I still feel I need to see more of him hanging in there and getting to his 2nd and 3rd guy. If he can show something that makes me more comfortable that he can on Thursday (and again it will be impossible to absolutely know for sure) then I will be calling for him to be named the starting Quarterback after Thursday's game.

I've been optimistic all summer of making the play-offs based on the idea of a Quarterback just being an accurate distributor and game manager.... if Tyrod Taylor means we have a Quarterback who is in himself a weapon to add to all our other offensive weapons and this defense? We might be Superbowl contenders. I'm trying not to get too carried away but the possibilities are mouthwatering.

Thanks. I'd be curious to hear more about the 3 or 4 plays you saw as first read then run. Not to argue - just for my own learning.

I agree that all of these comments are interpretations of something that's very hard to decode without extensive technical football knowledge (which I don't have) and specific knowledge of the team's goals and tactics on a given play (which none of us has). Basically, I just watched the guy's head to see what he was apparently looking at. Not too sophisticated as analyses go.

Also, I do think there is a good argument to be made that even if Taylor is looking at a few areas of the field before taking off, he might be giving up on them too quickly - maybe he needs more patience, or maybe he needs to be willing to throw more often to WRs that aren't wide open? I don't know.

What makes me optimistic is that: a) he still doesn't have much NFL playing time, so he should have some good room to grow - whatever his ceiling is, he can't possibly have hit it yet; and b) there's a spark to the way he plays that will energize both the team and the fans - whether that spark translates into winning, we'll see.

can we please stop with the "He's to small, only last 5-6 games due to size" stuff??...Taylor is 6' 1" 215 lbs. which puts him in the same size category as D. Brees (6' 0" 209 lbs.), RGIII (6' 2" 222 lbs.), T. Romo (6' 2" 230 lbs.) and is bigger then R. Willson (5' 11" 206 lbs.)....all 4 of these QBs are starters for their respective teams and all 4 would be welcome to start for the Bills if they needed a job and all 4 would not be called to small by the Fans if they came to Buffalo to play...Personally I'm rooting for EJ just cuz Id like to see a 1st rd pick of ours make it, but I have no problem with Taylor if he's what the FO feels they are looking for to run this offense...

...ok sry...everyone can back to the topic now...lol

can we please stop with the "He's to small, only last 5-6 games due to size" stuff??...Taylor is 6' 1" 215 lbs. which puts him in the same size category as D. Brees (6' 0" 209 lbs.), RGIII (6' 2" 222 lbs.), T. Romo (6' 2" 230 lbs.) and is bigger then R. Willson (5' 11" 206 lbs.)....all 4 of these QBs are starters for their respective teams and all 4 would be welcome to start for the Bills if they needed a job and all 4 would not be called to small by the Fans if they came to Buffalo to play...Personally I'm rooting for EJ just cuz Id like to see a 1st rd pick of ours make it, but I have no problem with Taylor if he's what the FO feels they are looking for to run this offense...

...ok sry...everyone can back to the topic now...lol

maybe it's me, but at times Drew looks like he's looking up over the O Line.

Please Don't take that as a slam on Drew. Just a funny observation

457930698-630x420.jpg

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

maybe it's me, but at times Drew looks like he's on his tippytoes lookign over the O Line.

Please Don't take that as a slam on Drew. Just a funny observation

He does definitely have an up on his toes style I know exactly what you mean. I think the point is with shorter guys that they have to find a way to overcome that. Brees has with superb success, Wilson has, Doug Flutie did to a lesser extent too. However, I think those worrying about size are more worrying about his ability to take hits and get up rather than his ability to see over o-lines.

I am not sure you know. I think a lot depends on the game Thursday.

IMO, it was all predetermined before TC. TT and EJ were battling for the backup position only. I do not believe Rex was going to hitch his wagon to anyone other than Cassel. It was Cassels job to lose only if he was absolutely god awful was he going to lose it. He hasn't been. Rex has been very good at not tipping his hand.

IMO, it was all predetermined before TC. TT and EJ were battling for the backup position only. I do not believe Rex was going to hitch his wagon to anyone other than Cassel. It was Cassels job to lose only if he was absolutely god awful was he going to lose it. He hasn't been. Rex has been very good at not tipping his hand.

If that's true, then it's his first mistake. And it's a big one.

If that's true, then it's his first mistake. And it's a big one.

True, that poster has no idea, and frankly, what we've seen in how TC and OTA's has been handled, it does not resemble a coach that already has his mind made yup, how incredibly foolish an observation??

Tim-