Taylor NOT a one read and run QB (play by play look)

2nd & 10, Carolina 12 – Under center, drops straight back, looks downfield to the right, then looks over to the right flat at Williams swinging out of the backfield, then looks straight down the center of the field. Sees a big hole open up in front of him and takes off running, hesitates before crossing the LOS and either thinks about throwing or fakes it to buy himself more space to run. Gains 9 yards (plus horse collar penalty tacked on). Definitely not a one read play – he looked at three distinct places on the field before he took off.

I thought he had an easy TD to Gray here before he decides to run. If he could be more patient in the pocket he could become a dangerous QB, with more confidence and playing time, he might do just that.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he had an easy TD to Gray here before he decides to run. If he could be more patient in the pocket he could become a dangerous QB, with more confidence and playing time, he might do just that.

I heard that a lot, and here's what I remember (from page 1):

People kept saying he had gray open but I didn't think gray turned his head or body until after TT was past the LOS running. To me it looked like he was definitely looking to throw but no one was open or ready for a pass. But I don't have a way to replay the game, so I don't know if I am just misremembering this play or what.

And what the OP saw on the replay of said play:

Good memory. Just went back and looked. It's kind of hard to tell, because Gray runs upfield offscreen right away. But TT is definitely looking his direction when he hesitates at the LOS, and right toward the end of the play when Gray comes back into view he is in the end zone running away from TT with his back to him. So unless Gray had been open and facing TT earlier when he was offscreen, TT had no chance to throw to him. The ball would have hit Gray in the back of the head.

Anyone have All-22? He may be open when he's offscreen but I didn't see it (or remember it) in the normal broadcast.

I want to upload a photo from my PC but it doesn't let me.

Ah, you're right, Fixxxer. I was watching plays on the condensed version, which only shows the original angle without the replay (usually). But I just went back and watched the full broadcast version of that play. When they show the replay, it's from behind the play, not on the sideline. And you're absolutely right - you can see Gray wide open right near the end zone and he is turned toward TT and looking at him. Would have been an easy throw and waltz into the the end zone for the TD. When Taylor starts running Gray then turns away and runs into the end zone, which is all I could see from the original angle.

Anyway, my main point isn't that Taylor is reading everything well - too early to say, and not enough info anyway. He might be missing all sorts of things downfield, he might be too hesitant to throw guys open, and/or he might be too impatient. The only thing I could tell for sure in the little breakdown that I did was that he was not just making one read and then taking off. He is definitely going through progressions regularly. How well he is doing so is another question.

Has he run in a way that suggests he doesn't avoid big hits? I'm legitimately asking not being snarky.

TBH, I have absolutely no idea. The first time I watched him play was on Friday and he seemed pretty smart i.e. no unnecessary risks. But all it takes is one freak play like the faux horse-collar tackle. He'll put himself in more situations for guys to take shots on him because he'll scramble way more than the average QB.

Ah, you're right, Fixxxer. I was watching plays on the condensed version, which only shows the original angle without the replay (usually). But I just went back and watched the full broadcast version of that play. When they show the replay, it's from behind the play, not on the sideline. And you're absolutely right - you can see Gray wide open right near the end zone and he is turned toward TT and looking at him. Would have been an easy throw and waltz into the the end zone for the TD. When Taylor starts running Gray then turns away and runs into the end zone, which is all I could see from the original angle.

Thanks for sorting that guys, I totally missed it during the live broadcast.

TBH, I have absolutely no idea. The first time I watched him play was on Friday and he seemed pretty smart i.e. no unnecessary risks. But all it takes is one freak play like the faux horse-collar tackle. He'll put himself in more situations for guys to take shots on him because he'll scramble way more than the average QB.

He reminds me of Thurman Thomas and Shady McCoy...2 other guys who just know how to slip through tacklers, twist, turn, and avoid taking head-on abuse.

On one play on Friday night, Tyrod scrambled to his left and went upfield into open space where he might have taken a licking.

He made a DB miss him cleanly with his athleticism in a 1-on-1 situation, then he twisted and dove/slid or whatever and made the tackler get maybe 10% of him to end the play.

If he can keep that knack for avoiding hits up, he'll do fine.

I was curious about the impression a lot of people seem to have that Taylor makes one read and if he doesn't like it takes off out of the pocket. So I went back and watched each of his passing or running plays in the game several times, paying particular attention to his line of sight - what he was looking at when. I didn't find the one read and run pattern AT ALL. Here is my breakdown of each of his passing and running plays in the game. Sorry it's so long, but I got into it.

First Drive

1st & 10, Bills 45 – Play action, immediately rolls out to the right – looks either designed or like he decided to keep it right away because he had so much room to run on that side. Glances up the right side of the field a little bit while he’s running, but would never have had time to set his feet anyway because the LDE was all over him. He just had to sprint past the dude. Picked up 10 yards.

1st & 10 Carolina 45 – Under center, stays in pocket, looks to the right and center then launches it to Goodwin going deep down the left sideline - incomplete. Great read. Goodwin could have caught it, though Taylor could have placed it inside a little more to make it easier. Definitely not his first read, unless he was purposely looking everyone off. Either way, not a stare and throw at all.

2nd & 10 Carolina 45 – Shotgun, fakes the handoff, immediately rolls to the right – not under pressure, this is designed. Does seem to hesitate while he looks up the field a little, clearly has the option to throw, but keeps it and runs after a brief scan. Seems to me that on this kind of play, he is never going to be looking way over to the left anyway, because it would be against the grain of the way he is running. I don’t think it is exactly first read and run, though, either. He is not in the pocket. He seems to be scanning the half of the field he is running toward and has the option to toss it to someone or keep it. He keeps it to good effect. Picks up about 18 yards (plus an additional penalty tacked on).

2nd & 10, Carolina 12 – Under center, drops straight back, looks downfield to the right, then looks over to the right flat at Williams swinging out of the backfield, then looks straight down the center of the field. Sees a big hole open up in front of him and takes off running, hesitates before crossing the LOS and either thinks about throwing or fakes it to buy himself more space to run. Gains 9 yards (plus horse collar penalty tacked on). Definitely not a one read play – he looked at three distinct places on the field before he took off.

Second Drive

2nd & 8, Bills 12 – Under center, drops straight back, looks left, sees Goodwin open 6 yards in front of the LOS and throws it to him, Goodwin cuts back across the middle of the field and gains 28 yards. This was a first read, but the read was open so he threw it. Crisp throw.

3rd & 4, Bills 46 – Shotgun, drops straight back, very quick glance to the right, then looks downfield middle. In the meantime, the RDE has blown by Darryl Johnson (listed as a guard, but playing left tackle here) and is about to take Taylor’s head off when Taylor makes his most ridiculous move of the night. He takes a quick step to the right like he is running away from him then does a supernaturally quick U-turn and runs back to the left while the RDE dives helplessly trying to tackle the empty space where Taylor used to be. Taylor has just purchased himself a vast amount of real estate as the defense has been pulled heavily to the right. He could clearly run it for a good gain, but keeps his head up and sees Williams about 12 yards in front of him and coolly feathers it to him. Williams chugs for another 10 yards before he’s knocked out of bounds. 13 yard gain (if that math seems strange, it’s because Taylor was way behind the line when he tossed it the 12 yards to Williams).

1st & 10, Carolina 41 – Play action, rolls to the right. He clearly checks out Hogan running a pattern down the right sideline first. Then he swings his head toward the center and is looking at Gray who has run a short pattern from the right TE position and Mulligan who has run a deeper pattern crossing the field from the left TE position. Taylor obviously doesn’t like what he sees, but he takes one more hesitation right before the LOS (either for a fake or because he is still looking for somewhere to throw) then runs across the line and slides for a gain of four. As on most previously plays, he checks out different areas of the field quite quickly, so if you don’t look carefully, it can seem like he has a quick trigger to run, but he is definitely not just looking at one receiver and then going.

3rd & 5, Carolina 36 – Shotgun, looks immediately to the left where Brown has swung out into the flat. Throws it to him – soft throw that lets him keep his momentum. Brown runs for the first down and a yard or two extra.

2nd & 3, Carolina 23 – Play action, bootleg to the left. This is an immediate bootleg, clearly a called play. He is not even looking downfield, just trying to get the first down. This is that crazy play where the DB hustles up in run support and dives at Taylor’s legs, knocking him off balance and seemingly stopping him two yards short. But as Taylor is falling he does a little hop back to plant his feet then dives forward for two yards and the first down before falling out of bounds. This dude is fun to watch.

1st & 10, Carolina 20 – Shotgun, drops back a few yards, looks downfield middle, then looks left and throws to Deonte Thompson running straight down the sideline. Thompson has his man beat by a step. Ball hits his fingertips in the endzone, but he can’t pull it in. Good read, pretty good throw. No chance for an int. Could have been caught, though it would have been a nice catch. Taylor holds his head in frustration.

Third Drive

1st & 10, Carolina 46 – Shotgun, looks downfield middle, seems to glance very quickly to the short left as well, then pivots to the right and tosses it to Brown sidling out into the flat. The Panthers respond quickly and Brown gets nailed behind the LOS. Not sure this was a great decision, but it definitely wasn’t the first read. Hogan was open for at least a few yard gain in the left middle (I think this is where Taylor’s quick glance to the left went), but Brown did seem to have some space in front of him to work with – it just disappeared very quickly, so I can see why Taylor threw it there. Either way, he was scanning the field, again, before throwing to Brown.

2nd and 11, Carolina 47 – Shotgun, stays calm in a nice pocket, looks downfield right, then downfield middle, then short middle where he throws to Hogan a couple of yards in front of the LOS, Hogan runs laterally and is tackled for a short gain. Taylor held the ball in the pocket for four seconds before dumping it to Hogan. He looked right and middle, but never looked left. If he had, he would have seen Brown swinging out of the backfield with MILES of space in front of him. Brown would have been off to the races. The slot DB was at least 10 yards away from him, and I think that’s the only guy he would have had to beat for a huge gain. Too bad.

3rd & 8, Carolina 44 – Shotgun, drops back a couple extra yards, looking downfield left. Again, Darryl Johnson at LT gets beat on the edge, and the RDE is on Taylor within two seconds. Taylor quickly steps up into the pocket. The pocket is now pretty clean, due to the step up and to the fact that Johnson has subtly hooked his dude from behind and then used his momentum to push him to the ground. Taylor could, at this point, have settled in the pocket for a little longer, but he sees a lot of space off to the left and he heads for it quickly. As soon as he is clear of the original pressure, his head is up and he is looking downfield left again, though this time more toward the middle than the sideline. It’s only after taking a measured, jogging look downfield that he makes the decision to hit full speed and cross the LOS. Picks up about 5 yards.

4th & 3, Carolina 39 – Shotgun, steps back, sits in the pocket calmly, very quick glance right then looks over to Thompson running down the right sideline again. Lofts it toward him quickly (he only held the ball for two seconds) and overthrows him by a couple of yards. Thompson had half a step on his man, but he seemed to me to slow a bit as he looked up for the ball. Wasn’t a great throw, landed just out of bounds. Thompson could have stayed at full speed and maybe given himself a shot. But it would have to have been a great catch – not sure anyone would have gotten to it. Still, a reasonable decision, though not high percentage. Just not a great throw.

Summary

Overall, a few of the times he “left the pocket” early seemed like designed rollouts – don’t think there was supposed to be a pocket. At other times, Taylor does like to buy himself some time and space by slipping out of the pocket – and perhaps he does do this too early at times. Nevertheless, at no time was he just making one read and then taking off and running. He always looked at at least 2 or 3 sections of the field (except when he threw to his first read), and he always had his head up when running. He also often hesitated before crossing the LOS, trying to find someone to throw to downfield.

Great post, very insightful.

Seems like Tyrod has the ball in his court to WIN the starting job. If he continues to play well , he certainly adds a very intriguing element to the offense that neither EJ nor Cassel bring and by teams having to be wary of the run and use a "spy" at times, thats 1 less defender down field which leaves our play makers more 1 on 1 matchup.

I'm very eager to see how Tyrod plays next game when he is in there with the 1's and also playing against the opponents 1's. The has got to be the biggest oppurtunity of his pro career. I hope he can rise to the occasion cuz with our D and our RB's, we have a chance to be in every game. If a guy like Tyrod is our QB, and has shown to throw a solid deep ball and he is definitely not afraid to take shots down the field which will open up alot more for the running game. His legs could get us 30-50 yards per game and can be a key factor to a drive not stalling on a 3rd and 3 when we can either run, pass or then have the presense of a QB who can easily take off and pick good yardage if there is nothing there rather than force a ball into coverage.

Taylor is great and definitely not a one read and run QB, but I am scared to death for the guy with game planning designed for him like they designed it for RGIII. Watch the following video and look at what he is going to be up against: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap1000000067431/Mariucci-New-game-plan-for-RG3

Listen Rex Ryan is a defensive mastermind. He knows perfectly well what defenses are going to do, so if Tyrod does start, you are going to see Rex Ryan and Greg Roman minimize the happy feet and force him to throw from the pocket so that these pocket collapsing designed blitzes won't kill their QB.

I want to see Tyrod be our starting QB but I am nervous when I see defensive plays designed like that without a stellar offensive line on our part.

+1

People are acting like this is Roman's first rodeo. Every move made to stop the easy runs opens up something else. In fact, I almost think the Bills want teams to plan for a Vick style QB opening day. Watch TT, if he gets the job, throw 5 straight times to start the game.

Anyway, my main point isn't that Taylor is reading everything well - too early to say, and not enough info anyway. He might be missing all sorts of things downfield, he might be too hesitant to throw guys open, and/or he might be too impatient. The only thing I could tell for sure in the little breakdown that I did was that he was not just making one read and then taking off. He is definitely going through progressions regularly. How well he is doing so is another question.

The good thing is that the drive finished in a TD. If he throws more he minimizes the times he takes off and run and that will be best for his game and health. That collarbone tackle could have been dangerous for him.

People are acting like this is Roman's first rodeo. Every move made to stop the easy runs opens up something else. In fact, I almost think the Bills want teams to plan for a Vick style QB opening day. Watch TT, if he gets the job, throw 5 straight times to start the game.

Wait, wait, wait!!!! The Bills I know run up the gut every first play of the game.... Hahahaha

In order to game plan, they have to give something else up. That helps us in other ways. Definitely fun to watch. I'm hoping he can be "Russell Wilson Dangerous".

In order to be"Russell Wilson Dangerous" he has to be able to pass well too which Friday night he didn't show he could. The one Goodwin across the field was his best pass of the day IMHO.

WHEN I SEE HIM DROP BACK AND Hit A 15 YARD sideline pass or one 15 yards over the middle then I'll start to billeive in TYrod.

The running stuff is fun, but it's not sustainable or a formula for winning IMHO. Not saying he can't, just wanna see it. Thursday I hope.

3rd & 8, Carolina 44 – Shotgun, drops back a couple extra yards, looking downfield left. Again, Darryl Johnson at LT gets beat on the edge, and the RDE is on Taylor within two seconds. Taylor quickly steps up into the pocket. The pocket is now pretty clean, due to the step up and to the fact that Johnson has subtly hooked his dude from behind and then used his momentum to push him to the ground. Taylor could, at this point, have settled in the pocket for a little longer, but he sees a lot of space off to the left and he heads for it quickly. As soon as he is clear of the original pressure, his head is up and he is looking downfield left again, though this time more toward the middle than the sideline. It’s only after taking a measured, jogging look downfield that he makes the decision to hit full speed and cross the LOS. Picks up about 5 yards.

As Taylor was looking for someone, one of the guys he was going to target fell down, so he took off. I can't remember who it was.

Yep, the WR realized Tyrod was outside the pocket and broke his route to try to cut back to the sideline, but he lost his footing.

Yep. I think Taylor was going to throw it to him until that happened.

I was curious about the impression a lot of people seem to have that Taylor makes one read and if he doesn't like it takes off out of the pocket. So I went back and watched each of his passing or running plays in the game several times, paying particular attention to his line of sight - what he was looking at when. I didn't find the one read and run pattern AT ALL. Here is my breakdown of each of his passing and running plays in the game. Sorry it's so long, but I got into it.

First Drive

1st & 10, Bills 45 – Play action, immediately rolls out to the right – looks either designed or like he decided to keep it right away because he had so much room to run on that side. Glances up the right side of the field a little bit while he’s running, but would never have had time to set his feet anyway because the LDE was all over him. He just had to sprint past the dude. Picked up 10 yards.

1st & 10 Carolina 45 – Under center, stays in pocket, looks to the right and center then launches it to Goodwin going deep down the left sideline - incomplete. Great read. Goodwin could have caught it, though Taylor could have placed it inside a little more to make it easier. Definitely not his first read, unless he was purposely looking everyone off. Either way, not a stare and throw at all.

2nd & 10 Carolina 45 – Shotgun, fakes the handoff, immediately rolls to the right – not under pressure, this is designed. Does seem to hesitate while he looks up the field a little, clearly has the option to throw, but keeps it and runs after a brief scan. Seems to me that on this kind of play, he is never going to be looking way over to the left anyway, because it would be against the grain of the way he is running. I don’t think it is exactly first read and run, though, either. He is not in the pocket. He seems to be scanning the half of the field he is running toward and has the option to toss it to someone or keep it. He keeps it to good effect. Picks up about 18 yards (plus an additional penalty tacked on).

Second Drive

2nd & 8, Bills 12 – Under center, drops straight back, looks left, sees Goodwin open 6 yards in front of the LOS and throws it to him, Goodwin cuts back across the middle of the field and gains 28 yards. This was a first read, but the read was open so he threw it. Crisp throw.

3rd & 4, Bills 46 – Shotgun, drops straight back, very quick glance to the right, then looks downfield middle. In the meantime, the RDE has blown by Darryl Johnson (listed as a guard, but playing left tackle here) and is about to take Taylor’s head off when Taylor makes his most ridiculous move of the night. He takes a quick step to the right like he is running away from him then does a supernaturally quick U-turn and runs back to the left while the RDE dives helplessly trying to tackle the empty space where Taylor used to be. Taylor has just purchased himself a vast amount of real estate as the defense has been pulled heavily to the right. He could clearly run it for a good gain, but keeps his head up and sees Williams about 12 yards in front of him and coolly feathers it to him. Williams chugs for another 10 yards before he’s knocked out of bounds. 13 yard gain (if that math seems strange, it’s because Taylor was way behind the line when he tossed it the 12 yards to Williams).

1st & 10, Carolina 41 – Play action, rolls to the right. He clearly checks out Hogan running a pattern down the right sideline first. Then he swings his head toward the center and is looking at Gray who has run a short pattern from the right TE position and Mulligan who has run a deeper pattern crossing the field from the left TE position. Taylor obviously doesn’t like what he sees, but he takes one more hesitation right before the LOS (either for a fake or because he is still looking for somewhere to throw) then runs across the line and slides for a gain of four. As on most previous plays, he checks out different areas of the field quite quickly, so if you don’t look carefully, it can seem like he has a quick trigger to run, but he is definitely not just looking at one receiver and then going.

3rd & 5, Carolina 36 – Shotgun, looks immediately to the left where Brown has swung out into the flat. Throws it to him – soft throw that lets him keep his momentum. Brown runs for the first down and a yard or two extra.

2nd & 3, Carolina 23 – Play action, bootleg to the left. This is an immediate bootleg, clearly a called play. He is not even looking downfield, just trying to get the first down. This is that crazy play where the DB hustles up in run support and dives at Taylor’s legs, knocking him off balance and seemingly stopping him two yards short. But as Taylor is falling he does a little hop back to plant his feet then dives forward for two yards and the first down before falling out of bounds. This dude is fun to watch.

1st & 10, Carolina 20 – Shotgun, drops back a few yards, looks downfield middle, then looks left and throws to Deonte Thompson running straight down the sideline. Thompson has his man beat by a step. Ball hits his fingertips in the endzone, but he can’t pull it in. Good read, pretty good throw. No chance for an int. Could have been caught, though it would have been a nice catch. Taylor holds his head in frustration.

Third Drive

1st & 10, Carolina 46 – Shotgun, looks downfield middle, seems to glance very quickly to the short left as well, then pivots to the right and tosses it to Brown sidling out into the flat. The Panthers respond quickly and Brown gets nailed behind the LOS. Not sure this was a great decision, but it definitely wasn’t the first read. Hogan was open for at least a few yard gain in the left middle (I think this is where Taylor’s quick glance to the left went), but Brown did seem to have some space in front of him to work with – it just disappeared very quickly, so I can see why Taylor threw it there. Either way, he was scanning the field, again, before throwing to Brown.

2nd and 11, Carolina 47 – Shotgun, stays calm in a nice pocket, looks downfield right, then downfield middle, then short middle where he throws to Hogan a couple of yards in front of the LOS, Hogan runs laterally and is tackled for a short gain. Taylor held the ball in the pocket for four seconds before dumping it to Hogan. He looked right and middle, but never looked left. If he had, he would have seen Brown swinging out of the backfield with MILES of space in front of him. Brown would have been off to the races. The slot DB was at least 10 yards away from him, and I think that’s the only guy he would have had to beat for a huge gain. Too bad.

4th & 3, Carolina 39 – Shotgun, steps back, sits in the pocket calmly, very quick glance right then looks over to Thompson running down the left sideline again. Lofts it toward him quickly (he only held the ball for two seconds) and overthrows him by a couple of yards. Thompson had half a step on his man, but he seemed to me to slow a bit as he looked up for the ball. Wasn’t a great throw, landed just out of bounds. Thompson could have stayed at full speed and maybe given himself a shot. But it would have to have been a great catch – not sure anyone would have gotten to it. Still, a reasonable decision, though not high percentage. Just not a great throw.

Summary

Overall, a few of the times he “left the pocket” early seemed like designed rollouts – don’t think there was supposed to be a pocket. At other times, Taylor does like to buy himself some time and space by slipping out of the pocket – and perhaps he does do this too early at times. Nevertheless, at no time was he just making one read and then taking off and running. He always looked at at least 2 or 3 sections of the field (except when he threw to his first read), and he always had his head up when running. He also often hesitated before crossing the LOS, trying to find someone to throw to downfield.

Great analysis. Thanks!

I'm getting more intrigued by TT because he seems to have a legit shot at winning the starting job. When we first signed him, I considered him a long shot. But you gotta guess Rex is putting him with the ones this week to see how he looks as a starter.