Taylor NOT a one read and run QB (play by play look)

If that's true, then it's his first mistake. And it's a big one.

IDK if it's true, but why is it a mistake?

I feel if he goes with MC and MC craps out it's on MC whereas if he goes with TT or EJ and they crap out it's on Rex and he is scrutinized for taking a chance with an unproven. Especially with how this team is set up to succeed this year.

True, that poster has no idea, and frankly, what we've seen in how TC and OTA's has been handled, it does not resemble a coach that already has his mind made yup, how incredibly foolish an observation??

Tim-

and you know everything, right!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to game plan, they have to give something else up. That helps us in other ways. Definitely fun to watch. I'm hoping he can be "Russell Wilson Dangerous", and not put himself at risk too much. I don't think a true running QB will last long, but hopefully that's just one aspect of what he offers. He came pretty close on a couple of long balls.

It's too early to tell, but if TT can emulate Russell Wilson where he extends plays with his legs, but is still looking down field and can be as accurate throwing on the run, then we have something, and he will be dangerous. If he is more like Kaepernick, and runs too fast, then he'll get killed. That's the evaluation process we need to look at over the next couple of weeks. The other thing is although Cassel was 7 for 8, they were all pretty short throws, and can he drive the ball downfield?

I'm not rushing to judgement on either QB, but just want to see more. I admit TT is exciting to watch.

Lastly, to the OP, thanks for putting together. Very detailed and accurate.

IMO, it was all predetermined before TC. TT and EJ were battling for the backup position only. I do not believe Rex was going to hitch his wagon to anyone other than Cassel. It was Cassels job to lose only if he was absolutely god awful was he going to lose it. He hasn't been. Rex has been very good at not tipping his hand.

So, what you're saying is that after Rex promised an open QB competition, coming from a scenario where the lack of an open competition screwed him over, decided to settle, sight unseen, on an aging veteran whose high water mark was limping into first in a terrible division, watched the OTA's where said vet was the worst easily, and went "yep I'm staking my career on this"

The only way he does that is if the plan is to tank for a higher draft pick next year.

It's too early to tell, but if TT can emulate Russell Wilson where he extends plays with his legs, but is still looking down field and can be as accurate throwing on the run, then we have something, and he will be dangerous. If he is more like Kaepernick, and runs too fast, then he'll get killed. That's the evaluation process we need to look at over the next couple of weeks. The other thing is although Cassel was 7 for 8, they were all pretty short throws, and can he drive the ball downfield?l

I'm not rushing to judgement on either QB, but just want to see more. I admit TT is exciting to watch.

The threat of TT running opens things up for the offense. What you may sacrifice in passing ability is more than made up for by that, IMHO. Not to mention Taylor is largely unproven, unlike Cassel, who is average at best, has no upside, and isn't a potential franchise QB.

I feel if he goes with MC and MC craps out it's on MC whereas if he goes with TT or EJ and they crap out it's on Rex and he is scrutinized for taking a chance with an unproven. Especially with how this team is set up to succeed this year.

And you think...Rex Ryan...of all people...would be overly cautious? On something he has vowed to not be a part of?

and you know everything, right!

No, and I never claimed too, like you did. I was just pointing out how, given the evidence of what we've seen, you couldn't possibly be correct. That's all, and you're welcome to your opinion, but lets not confuse opinion as fact..

Tim-

IMO, it was all predetermined before TC. TT and EJ were battling for the backup position only. I do not believe Rex was going to hitch his wagon to anyone other than Cassel. It was Cassels job to lose only if he was absolutely god awful was he going to lose it. He hasn't been. Rex has been very good at not tipping his hand.

He's been god awful for 5 years running now fwiw

I think TT would be great to bring in on special packages in our first game against Indy, which I think Cassel will start.

He is the exact opposite of Cassel, and there would be basically zero film of him running Romans offense. If you are prepared for a dink and dunk pocket passer and then Tyrod comes in this could be a nightmare for Indy's defense.

His best asset seems to be mobility without the INT numbers that most running qb's like vick and Kap put up.

I listened to the WGR post game show before watching the game and distinctly remember Matthew Coller saying Taylor was running after one read. I was disappointed in hearing that and then watched the game and completely disagree with what Coller said and agree with the OP. I haven't had time to go back and examine each play, but since I was watching the game on DVR, I would watch most plays twice. Even on the bootlegs and most of the time Taylor scrambled you could see his eyes up field. He might have gone through his reads a little too quickly and scrambled before you'd like him too, but I don't remember him running when he had a big, open pocket. It was mostly when some pressure was getting close.

This week is going to be a lot of fun and hopefully Taylor seizes the opportunity. With the number one offense, I hope the WR's getting open more frequently and allow Taylor to use his arm more.

No, and I never claimed too, like you did. I was just pointing out how, given the evidence of what we've seen, you couldn't possibly be correct. That's all, and you're welcome to your opinion, but lets not confuse opinion as fact..

Tim-

False, I said In my opinion, and if you think my opinion is wrong, then you must think you are right, right! :wallbash:

He's been god awful for 5 years running now fwiw

and EJ and TT have been so much better the past 5 years.

Edited by old school

I'm firmly in Tyrod's camp. His speed from the position is game changing and I want him playing as much as possible to continue to gain a comfort level and more polish. He reminded me of Wilson in that he seemed smart enough to get what he could then get on the ground, unlike a guy like Cam (who runs like a fullback) / RG3 (who was always trying to break a play before his injury) / EJ (not shying from contact caused a lot of missed time his rookie year).

I like Cassel as the backup, if Tyrod is running around it's inevitable he'll take a shot at some time or may just be gassed, in that instance I like plugging Cassel in to bring a steady hand.

Predetermined before the season but Rex decided to give valuable playing time away where Matt Cassel could develop chemistry with the 1s? Why would he do that to see who the Bills backup QB will be?

This is the first I've ever heard of giving playing time away with the 1s to see who the backup QB will be. Surprised other teams aren't following the same genius plan. And why not tip his hand? Why not just announce Matte Cassel as the starter? A team is eventually going to know who is starting for the Bills. The Colts aren't out there game planning for the Bills yet, once training camp ends they will and at that point Rex will have announced the starter.

There is very little benefit to not announcing who the starting QB is going to be. In fact if Rex is playing this game and "not tipping his hand" and giving 1st team reps away just to be secretive, he's doing more damage then good.

Predetermined before the season but Rex decided to give valuable playing time away where Matt Cassel could develop chemistry with the 1s? Why would he do that to see who the Bills backup QB will be?

This is the first I've ever heard of giving playing time away with the 1s to see who the backup QB will be. Surprised other teams aren't following the same genius plan. And why not tip his hand? Why not just announce Matte Cassel as the starter? A team is eventually going to know who is starting for the Bills. The Colts aren't out there game planning for the Bills yet, once training camp ends they will and at that point Rex will have announced the starter.

There is very little benefit to not announcing who the starting QB is going to be. In fact if Rex is playing this game and "not tipping his hand" and giving 1st team reps away just to be secretive, he's doing more damage then good.

After just listening to Paul Hamilton on WGR this morning, it appears I'm not the only one who thinks EJ is toast, TT is meh and Meh is #1.

After just listening to Paul Hamilton on WGR this morning, it appears I'm not the only one who thinks EJ is toast, TT is meh and Meh is #1.

OS...while I can appreciate the rhetorical argument of "appeal to authority" usually you look for someone better than Paul Hamilton when it comes to the Bills.

OS...while I can appreciate the rhetorical argument of "appeal to authority" usually you look for someone better than Paul Hamilton when it comes to the Bills.

I can agree with that but he is exposed to a lot more insider information than 99% of this board.

Edited by old school

Hamilton opined that no team would even pick up EJ if he were to be released. :lol: He's not even that good at covering hockey and him as a football analyst is a cruel joke. EJ is certainly enigmatic and inconsistent, but he's actually won games in the NFL and has talent.