A Tough NFL Player & Great Father !

T master

So what does everybody think of the "look at me!!" element of this story that is being ignored? I guess we are so used to it at this point that we hardly notice it. It would be one thing if he simply had the boys return the trophies and that was that. But no, he must let the entire world know where he stands on this issue, take pics of the trophies and post them, all because he thinks he is a special snowflake that deserves attention for his stance on this important issue. :rolleyes:

To me, this part of society, where everything must be posted on line in an attention grab (which is another way for people to try and feel "special") is much more of an issue with society than a 6 and 8 year old getting some participation award. "Look at me, I had salmon for dinner!" "Look at me, I bought a new car!" "Look at me, I'm a better parent than you!" The 6 and 8 year olds don't get to feel special, but their daddy does.

The 6 and 8 year olds don't get to feel special, but their daddy does.

To some extent I get what you're saying. It's impossible to see stuff like this without realizing the intent to garner attention by putting it out on social media. But this is Generation Selfie and it won't be improving any time soon.

The thing is, he IS special when you consider how many men play in the NFL at his level. That gives him a bigger pulpit than the dads like me who absolutely hate watching their sons get a game ball simply because the season was almost over and he hadn't gotten one yet.

I'm glad he spoke out, but unfortunately, it won't matter. There are too many nutbag parents ready to complain about anything they can to ever get us back to letting all kids win and lose based on ability.

To some extent I get what you're saying. It's impossible to see stuff like this without realizing the intent to garner attention by putting it out on social media. But this is Generation Selfie and it won't be improving any time soon.

The thing is, he IS special when you consider how many men play in the NFL at his level. That gives him a bigger pulpit than the dads like me who absolutely hate watching their sons get a game ball simply because the season was almost over and he hadn't gotten one yet.

I'm glad he spoke out, but unfortunately, it won't matter. There are too many nutbag parents ready to complain about anything they can to ever get us back to letting all kids win and lose based on ability.

Harrison could teach his kids that being the dirtiest player in the league, intentionally trying to hurt someone is a much better way to earn a trophy.

I've never heard a parent complain that their kid isn't getting a trophy. Getting a trophy for playing Tball(like my kids did) ,means nothing. They don't even remember getting one. This is one of those issues that people like to complain about but really haven't come up with a good reason as to why. Kids don't get trophies all the time, it's usually in leagues where you don't keep score and they are just learning the game. It's not a big deal, and I find it hard to believe it has any negative impact on the rest of their lives. And I'm sure there is no proof that it does.

What the hell is a participation trophy? This country is !@#$ed!

It's a trophy that little kids get for being involved in a team sport at an early age, where they are just learning the basics of playing, being a teammate...., this doesn't mean the country is messed up, i think you are overdoing it a bit.

When my team got TBall trophy's I explained to them why they got them and what they needed to do to get more as they got older, most of the kids sat there picking their noses and probably didn't listen to me, but some of them were 3 years old and needed to pee. It's not a big deal, just another thing to senselessly rant about.

Because if he doesn't, someone runs the "He forced his kids to give back trophies they earned! !@#$ parenting!" story. At least this way, he's ahead of it.

What makes you think he is really that bright? He's JH not DCTom...

His children didn't cheat to get them... So back they go!

Did the article say how old the children are?

to be fair, james also returned his anger management participation certificate.

LMAO...

IN like Flynn!

:-)

Back in the day you had to be good or on a good team to earn a trophy. Guys with trophies were generally the best athletes. This everyone gets a trophy and not keeping score, there are no winners or loses crap is all non-sense. This country is quickly becoming so soft, good for Harrison, I would do the same.

How old are his children?

Is he teaching them to 'roid up and beat woman too? If not, this country is becoming soft.

I'm going out on a limb and suggesting that just because you've never heard it doesn't mean it isn't happening in other places outside your world.I

I don't recall claiming it never happens anywhere in the world. Sorry if I confused you. I did umpire kids baseball for years and never heard it there. But I'm sure it's happening everywhere else.

What the hell is a participation trophy? This country is !@#$ed!

I think it is fine if they are under 9 or so. It is like a "thank you card."

Don't worry, children will get enough time to compete in the highly competitive/zero-sum world we now live in. Plenty of time after whatever ripe old age his children are. A little win-win indoctrination won't hurt the young children.

And yes, like others have said, I prefer not to take parenting advice from a domestic abuser, roided up loser that thinks he is some winner in the game of life. My children will be fine James Dirtbag. Thanks for the advice, but I don't need the advice. Chef Jim, the royalty check is in the mail. :D Your children can live in JH's roided up, violent, winner take all world. Just what we need more of, JH's running around the world beating women and teaching children to be more competitive at an every increasing earlier age. Maybe he should call Adrian Peterson over and they can give the world a joint lesson on parenting. :wallbash:

What you are seeing is really a mirage people. The world isn't going soft. It appears to be soft to justify the harsh reality.

Somewhere in a box in my dad's attic, I have a 1985 "participation trophy". It stands about 3 inches high (lol) and has "1985 RED SOX" on it. I was 6 and I was thrilled.

We won 1 game that season (I think). Some parents banded their older/bigger kids together and they dominated. I recall one game against a bunch of big fat kids who went on to be miscellaneous nobodies, they would chant 'batter cant hit' and 'swing batter'... all encouraged by their "coach" the entire !@#$ing game. We lost by like 16 runs and parents/coaches almost came to blows over this travesty.

4 of us on that team became extremely good high school athletes and played collegiate sports. We all survived.

I recall getting trophies most years in little league and also house hockey when I played... travel hockey too I think... usually at an awesome pool party of some sort (maybe we shouldn't have been allowed to do that either as losers?) it didnt invalidate the desire to win. Teams who won got to celebrate, got bigger and nicer trophies, and had bragging rights at school for a year. The little pieces of plastic aren't superbowl rings and not the goal.

The participation trophy angst is stupid and misguided. Off the top of my head, the most successful people I know actually kind if sucked at sports.

Edited by May Day 10

How old are his children?

Is he teaching them to 'roid up and beat woman too? If not, this country is becoming soft.

Very dumb comment, but I'm bored, I'll bite. I won't even comment on the beating women thing though, as I mentioned ,it's too dumb of a comment. But as for participation trophies. There comes a time when you have to teach kids that there are winners and losers. Not everyone wins. And you have to work hard to get rewarded. 8 and 6 are too young in my opinion to teach this lesson, but when you hit 10 and above, I think it's valid.

1433792.jpg

Losers of Super Bowls get very nice payouts... Not as much as the winners of course. I am pretty sure the losers also get rings too... But that's not talked about.

Isn't that "participation" awards?

Very dumb comment, but I'm bored, I'll bite. I won't even comment on the beating women thing though, as I mentioned ,it's too dumb of a comment. But as for participation trophies. There comes a time when you have to teach kids that there are winners and losers. Not everyone wins. And you have to work hard to get rewarded. 8 and 6 are too young in my opinion to teach this lesson, but when you hit 10 and above, I think it's valid.

Did you read my post. I actually put the line a year earlier @ 9 years old.

Again, what's wrong w/a "thank you card." Like my above post says, even the losers of the Super Bowl make nice bank. What is wrong with a little win-win indoctrination. The winners can still get the lion's share of the purse/prize/trophy. The winner wins the match, show me any game where they take all the resources and I will show you differently. I just pointed out that losers of Super Bowls get consolation money and rings; didn't I?

HBO's Real Sports had a segment last month on the Proliferation of Participation Trophies in Youth Sports in the US: HBO’s Real Sports goes inside Participation Trophy Culture

If you don’t have one yourself, you most definitely know someone who does – a participation trophy. They’ve taken over seemingly every sports league in America, and those on opposite sides of the debate argue they’re either ruining or saving today’s kids.

HBO’s Real Sports devoted a segment of its most recent episode to its phenomenon. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find the entire segment online — how dare HBO try to sell subscriptions — but there’s enough online to give you a gist of where things stand. Correspondent Bernard Goldberg spoke with the executive of a youth sports league (unfortunately Goldberg’s subjects aren’t identified in the clips so we can’t name them here) who said he’s never had a parent ask for his or her child to not receive a trophy, and then to an opponent who argued participation trophies remove kids’ incentives to improve because the reward is there for them no matter the results.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz