First world problems

Cugalabanza

Is the keurig giving you decent enough extraction with your own ground beans? I have moved exclusively to the french press and really love it.

for both you & Deano...courser grind for a French press? I had one years ago but always had too much sediment.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a 2.0, that should be any moment now.

I've been using the Keurig for a few years. I'm no coffee snob, and as much as I hate Starbucks, one of the things the company did was make everyone else elevate their coffee game. So if you're 'not' a snob, like me, than your options for decent coffee increased dramatically. Now factor in that I only have to make what I'm going to drink, without wondering if my wife will be drinking coffee or tea today, and the Keurig and I were in a special relationship.

When the 2.0 came out, there was a great deal on it at Costco I couldn't resist. It crapped out on me in a month. After doing some digging, I learned they really FUBAR'ed a good thing as everyone was complaining about the same issue.

Not 2.0, just an original.

That is why, if it breaks, I won't replace it. But this one has worked like a champ. I expect it to go any day and have thought it was finished a couple times. But it just keeps going.

And, like you, I'm not a real coffee snob. I know people who roast their own beans--nice, but c'mon. I don't have time for that. I also don't drink that much coffee. Many (if not most) real coffee snobs turn their nose up at Sumatran coffee, as it has a funk to it they call "objectionable". And you are right about Starbucks, too. I almost never go to a Starbucks (maybe in airports, or on the road when it's the only place available) but it isn't as if their coffee is terrible. Their existence has raised the general level of coffee in the country, I think. They've also help create a market for crap like Seattle's Best, I think.

for both you & Deano...courser grind for a French press? I had one years ago but always had too much sediment.

Yes, you need a coarser grind for a French press. You will still have some sediment, but there should be no actual grounds. If you prefer a cleaner cup of coffee, look into an Aeropress.

Is the keurig giving you decent enough extraction with your own ground beans? I have moved exclusively to the french press and really love it.

It is funny how these things come full circle... My parents never percolated, yet my inlaws did up until only a few years ago. My parents would use French press before Mr. Coffee came out. When Mr. Coffee came out they jumped on that ASAP. Now, it seems that French press style is making a comeback than say automatic drip (Mr. Coffee). Now percolated, I don't even drink the stuff, yet it that seems nasty to me. Don't the grinds end up in the coffee?

FWIW... I mentioned my wife uses the Bunn "My Cafe"... Grinds her own beans and uses the ground drawer on the machine... She loves the machine and is a coffee snob. The My Cafe does have a button, where you can make the brew more robust. She uses that feature all the time. I love it to make hot coccoa or stuff like cider/lemonade with the K-Cup drawer and specialty drinks K-Cups.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

If it's a 2.0, that should be any moment now.

I've been using the Keurig for a few years. I'm no coffee snob, and as much as I hate Starbucks, one of the things the company did was make everyone else elevate their coffee game. So if you're 'not' a snob, like me, than your options for decent coffee increased dramatically. Now factor in that I only have to make what I'm going to drink, without wondering if my wife will be drinking coffee or tea today, and the Keurig and I were in a special relationship.

When the 2.0 came out, there was a great deal on it at Costco I couldn't resist. It crapped out on me in a month. After doing some digging, I learned they really FUBAR'ed a good thing as everyone was complaining about the same issue.

Not cool.

It is funny how these things come full circle... My parents never percolated, yet my inlaws did up until only a few years ago. My parents would use French press before Mr. Coffee came out. When Mr. Coffee came out they jumped on that ASAP. Now, it seems that French press style is making a comeback than say automatic drip (Mr. Coffee). Now percolated, I don't even drink the stuff, yet it that seems nasty to me. Don't the grinds end up in the coffee?

FWIW... I mentioned my wife uses the Bunn "My Cafe"... Grinds her own beans and uses the ground drawer on the machine... She loves the machine and is a coffee snob. The My Cafe does have a button, where you can make the brew more robust. She uses that feature all the time. I love it to make hot coccoa or stuff like cider/lemonade with the K-Cup drawer and specialty drinks K-Cups.

Your wife drinks coffee and you dont?

Wow.

The interactive whiteboard wasn't working at my kids school, teacher had to use iPads instead. Whilst on my paid long service leave, I effectively lost a day of this leave because it ran concurrent with a paid public holiday.

why?

In a museum somewhere is one of Thomas Jefferson's early drafts of the Declaration of Independence.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. And videos in Shoutbox are really annoying

That last part was later removed as part of a compromise with the delegation from Massachusetts who felt it too controversial. Plus people from Massachusetts tend to be douches anyway

In a museum somewhere is one of Thomas Jefferson's early drafts of the Declaration of Independence.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. And videos in Shoutbox are really annoying

That last part was later removed as part of a compromise with the delegation from Massachusetts who felt it too controversial. Plus people from Massachusetts tend to be douches anyway

The longer I live, the more I realize the truth in this statement.

We really, really don't want a caffeinated EII.

Think about the first world problems that would cause.

When I was... I was 80 pounds heavier... Talk about first world problems.

And... The Keurig... Wife ordered one for the breakroom @ the public library she work @. Keurig keeps sending new machines without any one breaking! They keep on raffling them off to the public and employees, keep a few as spare too.

I did notice the Bunn My Cafe is starting to crap out. It won't pump the water @ times... So I made a work around for my wife. Took the top off where the sensors are and realized those were fine. It seems to be getting "vapor-locked" (if you want to call it that) where the water is drawn in. A long wooden skewer run a few time down the hole/tube seems to get it's motor running! LoL...

Doesn't that always seem to be the issue? Works for Beerball and Gugny too! Well, that's what they say... ;-)

The longer I live, the more I realize the truth in this statement.

Rookie! I learned that decades ago when some of my family moved there. Again, area needs a neutron bomb... J/K But really, can they arm it to only take out the Mass Holes. Only 1 in 10 will still be standing. Good thing, we won't have to deal w/B&B anymore! They'd be the first to go...