Astro-Notes #5: Monday 8-10-15

Astrobot

I had the delight of a lifetime to have both my boys, from Austin and Boise, and my 4 grandkids come to camp with me today. While they are both college sports fans (Hook Em Horns and Boise State Broncos), they wanted to come and watch a real NFL practice. This may have to do!

The crowd was amazingly full for a Monday after a scrimmage beat-down. Fred Jackson has no bounce in his step heading in, and Aaron Williams looks determined as he does exercise on the sidelines. The new RB is also on the sidelines. I wonder if he's still getting back into football shape. BJ Larsen continues his convalescence on ropes and the aero-bikes. Colton Schmidt is booming one punt after another, one bouncing and coming to a rest 80 yards from where he kicked it. When Danny Crossman finally has Schmidt kick in formation, he booms one from the line of scrimmage at the 10 to the other 30--a 70-yarder.

Clay is practicing catching the football one-handed along the sidelines, occasionally tipping one to Aaron Williams. Williams catches 2 out of 3. This is where Greg Roman is right now. He has his work cut out for him with this batch, as other than Clay and O'Leary (who are locks), Manhertz is tall but raw, Gragg is a decent downfield threat but is not the blocker you want, Mulligan is a good blocker but needs work on receiving (he does very well this practice), Burton is bigger than Clay but is far less consistent or explosive, etc.

Sammy is playing catch on the sidelines as well. He does pull up at the end of one play, nothing serious, but it makes me wonder if Sammy is bound for oft-hurt land. WR's spend the positionals catching the ball over their shoulder. Billy Buffalo is on the elliptical.

Against air, the numbers for each QB are, in order of appearance:

Cassel---14 for 16

EJ---------9 for 9

Simms---6 for 7

Tyrod----10 for 10

My younger grandson says, "Number 8 is good." That's Simms. I don't think he'll be cut; I think he's either the practice squad QB or the #3 QB.

Cassel is the first up for the team drills. He throws a nice ball to Sammy, hands off, and (after Goodwin clears out the flat with a go route, Clay reels in a nice catch. Dareus ragdolls Cassel on the next play.

EJ is next. He changes the play at the LOS and throws 20 yards for Percy Harvin, who has not run his route full-go, and the ball falls incomplete 3 yards ahead of Percy. Strike One on Harvin. EJ jands off to Bryce Brown who takes it around the end of the defense left side for 15 yds., and then EJ hands off to Karlos for a tough 5 yards.

Tyrod is in next. After Manhertz drops one 15-yarder, Mulligan catches his first of 3 on the day. The next pass goes complete to Clay, then Burton and Mulligan drop one each. Manhertz comes back with a very nice catch on a slant to make up for the earlier drop, and Tyrod throws it to an open Easley who drops it. Clay drops one as well.

Deonte Thompson will make this squad. I don't know how, but he has WR talent. Practice Squad likely, but he has talent. However, not in the 53 yet. He sometimes seemed unaware of the motion call (3x Tyrod put his foot back to get him to start the motion).

We watched the TE's working against edge rushers. It was one of the best drills of the day. I am seeing regular, daily examples of prescriptive teaching based on what the 11 on 11's and scrimmages are telling this coaching staff. Never saw this much of that in all my years at Fisher.

---Manny Lawson was unblockable.

---Clay dropped Tarpley.

---Randell Johnson used too many moves and was dropped once, but had 2 would-be sacks on the drill. He's talent.

---Ty Powell held his own, as did Gragg.

---Karlos Williams got applause by stoning Randell Johnson.

In 11 on 11's:

---Corey Graham steps in front of his WR to get a PBU, and later picks off a pass to Easley. He's our best safety right now. Aaron's on the sidelines waving ropes in full sweats and hoodie.

---Karlos shows his talent as a receiver out of the backfield. Imagine a 230-pound 4.3 speed RB in the flat. You're a CB. You're dead meat. Also making 5-6 yards between the tackles. Guard play is great.

---Cassel shows a very awkward rollout and pass on the fly. He's better than Orton, IMO, but Orton's better when on the move. Likely a wash.

---Simms has a very nice pass threading the needle between two defenders.

---Seantrel was the RT and they had pretty good pass blocking today.

---Michael Buchanan is offsides on one play, drawn off by Tyrod.

---Sweeting is out of his league. HE dropped coverage too soon on one play, and Cassel saw it for the TD. You see the savvy from Cassel.

---Harvin was slow to get up on one play, and Sammy pulled up on one play.

---Harvin also dove and caught one for a TD from Cassel.He also had a nice catch at the end of practice from Cassel. He was hit by Gilmore on one play, then burns him on the next play.

---Manhertz drops another one here in 11 on 11. You see the potential, but he's a PS player at best. Love his height.

---Tyrod had a nice pass to HArvin, and a beauty to Mulligan, but a miss of Sammy.

---Simms passed to O'Leary for a TD. O'LEary's in, and you have to have an Irish TE anyway.

---Caleb Holley, a promising WR, was carted off today. Looked to us like inside right knee. Hope it's not his MCL.

---Goodwin walked off the field under his own power.

---Mulligan's footwork is very good on blocks.

---Some nice fights, but Woods needs to keep his helmet on is he fights.

---Bryce Brown had a nice carry and held onto the ball. Film at 11.

---Hogan drew a PI penalty on Brooks. Tyrod threw short and Brooks was seen as interfering with Hogan's comeback to the ball.

So against defense, the QB numbers are

Cassel---16 for 18, 3 potential TDs in a row and 3 more later.

EJ----8 for 12, 1 too long, 2 too high. Trying too hard. Waiting too long, not making reads fast enough. At one point likely sacked on 4 successive plays.

Tyrod---11 for 16, one too late, 2 too high, 1 too far, 1 short, 1 just missed, 1 take off and run.

Simms---4 for 6, one too high, 2 potential TD

Gay finished practice with 7 successive FGs, 4 from the 15, 1 from the 17, 1 from the 21, and 1 from the 26. We need Carpenter back for the season, not preseason.

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So against defense, the QB numbers are

Cassel---9 for 10, 3 potential TDs in a row and two more later.

EJ----7 for 10, 1 too long, 2 too high. Trying too hard. Waiting too long, not making reads fast enough. At one point likely sacked on 4 successive plays.

Tyrod---8 for 11, one too late, 1 too high, 1 just missed

Simms---4 for 6, one too high, 2 potential TD

Are you counting on-target incompletions as completions? Or are these true stats? Either way, it would be interesting to see both. Sounds like there were a lot of drops

EDIT: I also see that you're still writing so my apologies if it's a work in progress.

Anyway, thanks a bunch astro for your report!

Edited by Wazzu Bill

I had the delight of a lifetime to have both my boys, from Austin and Boise, and my 4 grandkids come to camp with me today.

Colton Schmidt is booming one punt after another, one bouncing and coming to a rest 80 yards from where he kicked it. When Danny Crossman finally has Schmidt kick in formation, he booms one from the line of scrimmage at the 10 to the other 30--a 70-yarder

Billy Buffalo is on the elliptical.

Against air, the numbers for each QB are, in order of appearance:

Cassel---12 for 13

EJ---------9 for 9

Simms---6 for 7

Tyrod----10 for 10

EJ is next. He changes the play at the LOS and throws 20 yards for Percy Harvin, who has not run his route full-go, and the ball falls incomplete 3 yards ahead of Percy. Strike One on Harvin. EJ jands off to Bryce Brown who takes it around the end of the defense left side for 15 yds., and then EJ hands off to Karlos for a tough 5 yards.

So against defense, the QB numbers are:

EJ----5 for 6, 1 too long

Congrats Dean on having your sons and grandsons with you. That has to be a thrill.

Good to hear the punting should be strong this year.

That's terrible news about Billy Buffalo though. :o: Did Rex give an expected time for his return? :unsure:

Your take on EJ's performance is completely out of whack with respect to the highly regarded Joe B's. You mentioned your account is a work in process, so you still have time to refer to your notes, drink heavily and edit your far-too-positive review of his performance. If that doesn't work for you, then just lie or you might never get a gig writing for the local media.

That said, keep up the GREAT work you do. It's especially appreciated by we out-of-towners. :thumbsup:

Thanks Astro!

I share your thoughts on Randell Johnson - He is a total beast in waiting. He was eating up blockers in that same drill Friday afternoon.

Thanks for your reports being more realistic and unbiased regarding the QB's ( P. Harvin not running the route correctly, etc.).

On Friday I noticed that Tyrod almost never gets the ball out in time. ( generally in a real NFL drop back your going to get 3 seconds, maybe 4 at most to decide and throw). Unfortunately , for me, this rules out ANY chance of him realistically starting for the Bills. I can definitely see him coming in for spot duty though.

Ej seems to be much better at the long balls than he used to be... Still a bit inconsistent on the shorter throws.

I'd go with EJ if I were them, but I can see them leaning to Cassel still. He won't fair any better than Orton unfortunately though.

A point regrading your mention of the TE's - don't forget Marquise Gray ( to me he's a lock and the #2 ). O'leary was getting absolutely blown up in the TE/FB/RB vs. outside pass rush drill this past Friday.

Clay is practicing catching the football one-handed along the sidelines, occasionally tipping one to Aaron Williams. Williams catches 2 out of 3. This is where Greg Roman is right now. He has his work cut out for him with this batch, as other than Clay and O'Leary (who are locks), Manhertz is tall but raw, Gragg is a decent downfield threat but is not the blocker you want, Mulligan is a good blocker but needs work on receiving (he does very well this practice), Burton is bigger than Clay but is far less consistent or explosive, etc.

No mention of Marqueis Gray with this group? I believe that he will be one of our TE's when all is said and done.

Astro, Fantastic summary. One of the radio, TV or news outlets should hire you as an adjunct camp employee.

I've felt from the beginning of the camp that Cassel is going to be the starter and Taylor will be the backup. In my opinion Manuel's long term prospects with the Bills is not very promising, even if he remains on the roster this season.

Juxtapose Astro's report with JoKe B's assessment of EJ:

Bills LVP: QB EJ Manuel

- Manuel had a huge opportunity to gain solid footing in the quarterback competition following the scrimmage, in which Rex Ryan said he was impressed the most by the former first-round pick. Instead, Manuel had one of his worst practices of the summer. Even though the interception wasn’t his fault, the inaccuracy throughout the session was.

dunno.gif